in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2008 6:18 AM by pdoisy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-11-2008 4:29 PM

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

On which of the Scart sockets is RGB?

I have two questions which I am sure somebody here can answer - if not even has faced himself before:

On the three Scart sockets of my Beovision 5 can I use a RGB (only) signal (from my AppleTV)?

Would it be possible to route the RGB through my HDR1?

(I have my AppleTV connected to a Hama Video Converter 2/3, by the way: component in and Scart-RGB, RGB or VGA out ... great piece of equipment) 

• 06-12-2008 5:50 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Re: On which of the Scart sockets is RGB?

Hi, according to the specs of BV5 on this web site: 

V.TAPE: CVBS in/out, RGB in (automatic 16:9 sense (pin-8), B&O AVL)

AV: CVBS in/out, RGB in, S-VHS in/out (automatic 16:9 sense (pin-8), automatic S-VHS configuration, B&O AVL)

Decoder: CVBS in/out (automatic 16:9 detection (pin-8))

So you have RGB in only on the V.Tape and AV sockets (with digital audio input capability). The Decoder socket supports only composite (and stereo).

For the HDR1, I don't know the answer. If you have the material, the best is to give it a try... 

Cheers, P. 

• 06-12-2008 5:57 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

BTW, wanting to connect an ATV to my Avant, I had the same question a few weeks ago.

Because I have already HDR1 connected to V-Tape and DVD1 connected to AV, I went to connect ATV to Decoder socket using a YUV-CVBS decoder. So far I am pleased with the solution for audio and video.

Next step is to upgrade the chip in order to control the ATV from Beo4.

Cheers, P. 

• 06-12-2008 2:09 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Got it working finally :-)

HDR1 routes RGB through to the BV5 :-))

how much was your YUV.CVBS decoder, by the way - and which do you use? The picture quality through the HDR1 in RGB is absoluty superb, by the way!!! Of course, now I want to control the ATV with the Beo4 remote - have to find out though whether the HDR1 would need the update or the BV5 or both now ... would you know by any chance? Do you have an idea how much that will cost, too? 

• 06-12-2008 8:07 PM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

Hi mor, that's a good news for you.

Personally, I use the decoder from www.svideo.com. Simple and neat.

Here are my ideas about controlling the ATV but I am not expert with BV5. This is in the case the ATV is connected to HDR1 (not directly to TV).

If it is the same as the BV7, you can control the ATV by running an IR blaster from the BV5 to the ATV. In the connection menu of the BV5, you select V.MEM which will give you another option to select the equipment connected to your HDR1. In this case, you should update the chip (to at least february 2008 version) of the BV5. This operation cost around 100-300Euro and must be done by B&O service. The pro of this solution is the direct axess to ATV with Beo4. The cons are the update costs.

If BV5 is like the Avant (no possibility to add a second level equipment), in your setup, you must connect the IR blaster from HDR1 to ATV. In this case you should update the software of HDR1 through the service tools available at your B&O dealership. This operation is usally free if you are a good customer... The drawback of such solution is that you must control the ATV through HDR1 menus. The pro is the low cheap cost of the upgrade. 

In case you connect ATV directly to TV (like I did), the IR blaster goes from TV to ATV and you must update your TV like in the first solution. I still have to do the last part so, for now, I control the ATV using the AppleRemote.

I hope this is useful. Cheers. 

• 06-13-2008 3:11 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Now it seems that the BV5 unfortunately is neither like the 7 nor the Avant:

I could add an IR blaster to the BV5 - but I have no chance of asigning this to a piece of hardware connected to the HDR1 ...

In the connections menu I have three entries (for each scart sockets one): Vtape, AV & Decoder. Under Vtape it reads Vtape, under AV is DVD and as there's no RGB I dont feel like using the Decoder one. Now I can change the Decoder entry, I can change the AV entry - but I have no possibility to change the Vtape entry. (I figured from your post that there's possibility to enter another entry level in your setup?)

So when I want to access the ATV, I first have to chose the Vtape (via VMem button), then have to select the added source. Sadly I dont seem to have a way to access the hardware connected to my HDR1 directly from the BV5. Or am I simply not seeing the option I should use? Is this possibly because of too much equipment? (I got the SAT module in the BV5 so my DTV button triggers the SAT module, the DVD is to access the Beocenter2 - and like I said earlier VMem accesses the HDR1)

Best from Germany

marc-oliver

• 06-16-2008 6:18 AM In reply to

• pdoisy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Italy
    • Posts 41
    • Bronze Member

What you are saying is what I wanted to express in my post.

From the BV5, you can control directly only the first level of equipment. Only newer chassis can do second level.

With the ATV connected to HDR1, what you are doing is then correct: select HDR1 then select the source (ATV).

Having the same equipment as yours (DVD and HDR1), this is why I have chosen composite in order to connect the ATV directly to my Decoder scart on the Avant. Video signal sounds reasonable to me.

Cheers. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)