in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2008 6:13 PM by saf. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2008 9:04 AM

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BL9 thoughts and observations

Posted this in another thread, which wasn't totally relevant, so I thought I'd post this and see what people think?

I have some old BL9's which I bought second hand recently.

BL9's are strange beasts. I've had BL3's connected to my BeoSound 4 for over a year and very used to the 'rounded' nature of the sound. Connected the BL9's and the sound was totally different - very crisp. Too crisp. Seemed to lack substance.

However, move them to my BV7-40 and they are completely different. I'm guessing it's the way the BV7-40 (with BS3) processes the incoming sound? Why is that? With standard BBC1, the sound is nothing special, but on BBC HD or Sky Movies HD1, it's fantastic.

Anyone else experienced the same?

• 06-10-2008 11:22 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: BL9 thoughts and observations

I'm going to reply to my own thread. The difference playing a well produced CD through the BV7-40 (with 7.4) and the BL9's, compared to the BS4 + BL9's, is phenomenal. The sound quality is superb. Indeed, the BL9's are so powerful, I daren't push them too far as they cause the floor to vibrate on low bass (no rubber rings underneath those speakers ;)

If the BL9's are this good, I wonder what the BL5's offer for the average user? Are they so much better?

• 06-10-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

Hello,

a difference in sound output between a B&O Stereo and TV is related to the speaker configuration (i.e. Speaker 2 or 3,4 or 5) and how your setup is connected.

If you select Speakers 3 (or higher for that matter) and the speakers are connected to the TV the sound is put trought the surround-mixer of the Television.

This may lead to a little decrease in volume and response on the lower frequency range in relation to Speaker 2 mode.

In Speaker 2 mode however there should not be any audible difference between speakers connected to a TV or Stereo.

So I have no idea why your speakers should sound different when connected to the BeoSound 4. Have you set up your BL9 to the correct position (wall, corner,free)?

The difference between BBC1 and any satellite HD programm is obviously the better quality of the audio signal that is being transmitted.

The result with a blu-ray disc and uncompressed audio will impress you even more.

• 06-10-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

Check your speaker configuration, as mentioned above, and your bass/treble settings.

You should also ensure that the perceived volume is the same (not the number shown by the tv or BS4, but the actual sound produced.)

I'd be surprised to hear a significant difference ... 

• 06-10-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BundOAlex:

In Speaker 2 mode however there should not be any audible difference between speakers connected to a TV or Stereo.

So I have no idea why your speakers should sound different when connected to the BeoSound 4. Have you set up your BL9 to the correct position (wall, corner,free)?

The difference between BBC1 and any satellite HD programm is obviously the better quality of the audio signal that is being transmitted.

The result with a blu-ray disc and uncompressed audio will impress you even more.

Yes, they are connected to the TV in speaker 2 mode. They are set to free standing mode, although I think I might have to change this as it causes the floor to vibrate slightly, depending on the track/audio. They are reasonably close to the wall (less than 30 cms), so I might try the wall setting.

Yes, you're right about sound via Blu-ray. Uncompressed PCM audio is superb. I've already experienced this with the BV7-40, 7.2 speaker and Playstation 3, along with a BL2 sub.

I think the speakers sound better connected to the TV due to my placement, whilst listening to the tracks. The TV/speakers are pointed to the sofa and, when sitting, I'm only about 40 cm higher than the BL9's. However, I'm either standing or at a 90 degrees angle when listening to the BeoSound 4.

• 06-10-2008 12:37 PM In reply to

moxxey:

I think the speakers sound better connected to the TV due to my placement, whilst listening to the tracks. The TV/speakers are pointed to the sofa and, when sitting, I'm only about 40 cm higher than the BL9's. However, I'm either standing or at a 90 degrees angle when listening to the BeoSound 4.

Ah, that would explain quite a bit of the difference you're hearing - you do want to have the speakers in the same position in order to be able  to distinguish with any certainty. Maybe move the BS4 over to the tv, and use the same cables to either unit? Not moving the speakers?

• 06-10-2008 12:38 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Sadly they are in completely different location - BS4 is in the office (and is a right pain to take apart), whilst the TV is downstairs.

Don't worry too much. Speakers are superb. I'm really pleased with the new setup and I'm going to keep the BL3's with the BS4. I'm happy with that setup, too, so I can't complain.

• 06-10-2008 1:05 PM In reply to

We have Beolab 9s connected to an Avant and a Beosound 3000. After having them for almost a year I am still amazed at that sound they produce. We are most likely getting a new Beovsion 7 shortly. I had wondered if that would improve the sound in any way. I am guessing the answer should be no?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-10-2008 2:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The 7-40 mk3 will improve the sound - entirely different sound processor to the Avant etc...

A speaker can sound fantastic in one room, yet horrific in another. The B&O speakers, particularly 3s, 9s and most obviously 5s are less sensitive than most to placement due to their position switches.

RE BL5s being better than BL9s - while the BL9s are obviously a stunningly good pair of speakers, (and I am still bowled over by them every time I hear them), the BeoLab 5s are a whole new level or two up! The BeoLab 5s make it onto my shortlist of the 5 best speakers of all time (at any price range, not just their own). BeoLab 9s make it onto my shortlist of the best 5 speakers in their own price catagory, but they can't easily compete with a pair of £100,000 Wilson Audio speakers (which the BeoLab 5s can, and IMO they sound better).

BeoLab 9s = amazingly good speakers
    BeoLab 5s = the most amazing speaker you'll ever hear (IMO)

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-10-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    We have Beolab 9s connected to an Avant and a Beosound 3000. After having them for almost a year I am still amazed at that sound they produce. We are most likely getting a new Beovsion 7 shortly. I had wondered if that would improve the sound in any way. I am guessing the answer should be no?

The answer is actually yes, it will sound better via the BV7 than your Avant.

• 06-10-2008 4:06 PM In reply to

The answer is probably too technical for me to understand, but why will they sound better connected to the BV7 than to the Avant?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-10-2008 4:20 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    The answer is probably too technical for me to understand, but why will they sound better connected to the BV7 than to the Avant?

If not, then BeoSystem 3 is a really dud product. BV7 MKIII comes with BeoSystem 3, which is a quite sophisticated audio processor, capable of dealing with high-resolution audio. (32-bit capable). 

• 06-10-2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Like Alex said, a good speaker can sound worse than a bad one if placed badly.
    You would get more pleasure having a pair of Beolab 3s strapped to your head whilst sitting outside on your jetty (ask Soundproof) than a pair of Beolab 5s in each corner of a field.

Alex, do you like Beolab 5s?

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-10-2008 4:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Jandyt:

No, don't be ridiculous. I hate the damn things Stick out tongue

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-10-2008 4:42 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:

I wouldn't have thought so - he hardly ever mentions them!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-10-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

Like Alex said, a good speaker can sound worse than a bad one if placed badly.
    You would get more pleasure having a pair of Beolab 3s strapped to your head whilst sitting outside on your jetty (ask Soundproof) than a pair of Beolab 5s in each corner of a field.

He-he! A nice memory!

• 06-10-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Though it's not exactly answering your question I find the performance of BL9s (a tad too much)  more depending on whether you stand or sit etc. while listening (when compared to the BL5s).
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)