in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2008 3:14 AM by skd. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2008 8:21 PM

• skd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

beomaster 5000... confusion

Hello

Two questions, please, about my beomaster 5000 amp: i have had it for some time but after a house move I am trying to re-set it up and i was clearly not clever enough to make note of things in tearing it down and am at a loss now...

FIRST question: the speaker cables... they have bare wires at one end for the speakers and, at the amp end there is a flat bit and a pin bit - i assume these are 2 pin DIN: the question is, which, flat or pointy, please, is +ve and which is -ve (which i assume is necessary so that phasing is correct)

(EDIT: found the first answer, cheers: blade is -ve, pin is +ve!!) 

SECOND question which is where i am at a total loss: i had only the speakers and a CD/DVD player connected to the amp - and my DVD/CD player has only phono connectors for audio output.

I am also certain that i am correct in recalling that it was hooked up to the AUX because i am sure it was always AUX/CD I pressed on the MCP to turn it on - - but I have no cables with 7pin connectors on one end and can't for the life of me see how the CD/DVD player was possibly connected to the AUX/CD without 7pin connectors such since the phono plug connections seem, according to the manual and the 5000, to be for phone, tape2, line and pre-amp: the AUX seems to be only 7pin and without 7pin connectors i see no way to connect to it - - and the only cables i can find have phono plugs on both ends or phono plugs one end and bare wires the other ( i have waaay too many cables and made the stupid mistake of putting the existing set up cables in a box with many others!) but i have none with the 7pin connector...

failing that second question making any sense at all, i can also simply ask: what is the best way to connect my CD/DVD to the beomaster 5000 amp for playback, given that I have cables with phono plugs on both ends, on one end with bare wire on the other?

apologies if i my questions are posed poorly but i hope the points are clear - and thanks for any help! 

• 06-08-2008 2:46 AM In reply to

Re: beomaster 5000... confusion

I would use the Tape 2 socket for the DVD/CD player. Ideal spec for this. The best of the 5000/5500/6500/7000 as far as the amplifier is concerned.
  • 06-08-2008 6:03 PM In reply to

• skd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Re: beomaster 5000... confusion

Thanks!
  • 07-01-2008 6:20 PM In reply to

• skd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Re: beomaster 5000... subwoofer?

another question, please... with my beomaster 5000 i would like to use either flat panel speakers, like b&w or sequence - not large but on the smaller side... which makes me think i need a sub-woofer as what i am looking at are frequency response 75 Hz - 22 kHz only so i am wondering if i need a subwoofer?

we watch some telly and we listen to some music - my current speakers are a pair of b&w xt2 which generate the right balance of highs and lows with a 55kHz low end but bass serious enough that i need to use the supplied dampers... i have no interest in 5.1 and can live without a centre speaker so the 5000 continues to serve well but since we are thinking about flush mounts.. my question is:

can i somehow drive a subwoofer from my 5000, which is acting as amp for my skyHD box, bluray player and media player - if not, I guess the flat panels are not likely to provide sufficient lows.

thanks in advance

• 07-02-2008 1:54 AM In reply to

Most sub-woofers have inputs and outputs - run the output from the 5000 to the sub-woofer and thence to the panels.
  • 07-02-2008 3:14 AM In reply to

• skd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

that simple... speaker line out from 5000 to sub then speaker level out from sub to speakers... cool. Guess I should have known that!

cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)