in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2008 8:45 PM by Tom. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2008 3:16 PM

• mikep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-10-2007
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

A Very Big Thank You To You All

Hi

In January of this year my brother Mike unfortunately died in what seems like an awful accident at his bungalow. I won't go into details here but we are still awaiting reports from our local coroner and the Health & Safety Executive.

Mike was a huge fan of everything B & O. He was a paraplegic since the mid 1970s following a speedway accident. In recent years he was more or less housebound. Time passes slowly for someone in his position. Anyway a few years back I managed to get him online and not long afterwards we found this forum. He never posted much as he lacked confidence with typing/spelling etc. On the odd occasion he really wanted some advice/answers to questions he asked me to post a message. Anyway, even though he hardly posted, I know he spent hours and hours looking at all sorts here and he took no end of pleasure from 'being here'. Hardly a day passed without him spending some time on this site. I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you for unknowingly helping Mike pass many hours. I would especially like to thank Lee. I know Mike spoke to him several times (as did I) and he was always very helpful.

Now there is another reason for me posting this message. Mike was never able to let go of things. He was defintely a right magpie. Myself and my father have to decide what to do with his possessions. He still had some old B & O gear that has not been used for many years but may be of interest to someone here. We are not interested in selling this gear but I did wonder if there might be someone here who would like take it off our hands. Some of it will need some work done so it could be a bit of a restoration project. The gear is as follows;

Beovision 7700 -- Still a lovely picture. Nice looking but there is no remote control and even when we did have the remote the TV channels would only change by manually cahnging them on the TV. I would think it is only a loose wire causing the problem.

Beogram 120 Turntable -- As far as I know this still works fine although I imagine a new cartridge would be pretty essential.

Beocord 2200 Cassette Deck -- I think there was fault with this. From memory I think the motor may have packed up but it such a long time since it was used I cannot remember for certain.

Beomaster 1700 Tuner -- Nothing wrong with this as far as I know.

Beolab 1700 Amplifier -- Again I think this is still in working order.

Beovox 2702 Speakers -- Nice condition and still working.

Beocord VHS80 VCR -- There maybe a small fault with this, again difficult to remember but should be easily repairable for someone who understands these things.

So that is the lot I think, at least at the moment. We would like them to go to a good home if possible. I have no idea if anyone would be interested in these items. If there is more than one person then I guess I will have to do it on a first come first served basis. Anyone that is interested will have to collect them from us in Newport in South Wales. So if anyone is interested please send me a PM and I will get in touch.

Once again many thanks to you all for giving Mike so much pleasure and helping him pass the time.

Nick Powell 

• 06-05-2008 3:22 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Re: A Very Big Thank You To You All

Nick I´m sorry for your loss and best wishes to you and your family. I´m glad this site managed to give some enjoyment  and solice.

Best regards,

Kevin 

• 06-05-2008 3:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I agree with Kevin's sentiments and my heart goes out to you - his obviously loving family.

Although sad this is a very heartwarming story which makes the work that all of the Beoworld family put in seem all worthwhile. Also a big thanks for your generous offer.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-05-2008 3:47 PM In reply to

Yes, I am very sorry for your loss as well. I am glad to hear though that it gave him a nice place to stay online and am sure it is for many others as well.

What might be a good idea for these things that you mention, you can donate them to the site. They could be given away as prizes in the monthly drawing in memory of him. 

Thanks a lot for posting this ... 

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-05-2008 4:55 PM In reply to

Hi Nick,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss, but I am very pleased that your brother was happy to be part of our community. As far as I am aware, most visitors on BeoWorld do no't post, so us members must come up with some interesting stuff, or in the case of jandyt and myself, often a lot of sillyness.

I was going to mention what JK has already said. If you do choose to donate this B&O collection, maybe the BeoWorld monthly Prize Draw would be the best place to promote these pieces, as I'm sure many BeoWorlders would have great interest in these pieces. After all, we are the most passionate B&O fans and pals around.

Regards,

Henry

• 06-05-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

A very touching post, and our condolences go out to you for your loss Nick.

I do remember your brother Mike very well, a lovely man who was a pleasure to talk to both on the telephone and by email.  I am sure he is up there playing with B&O as we speak, and he will be smiling knowing we are remembering him on the forum.

Rather than give his B&O to the prize draw, i would love to see it go to someone that will really cherish it and appreciate it the way Mike did. There is always the chance when given away in a draw that the winner might not want or appreciate it, and in a case like this i think it would be wrong.

Find a good and deserving home for Mikes collection, and i'm sure if there is a place to find that person, it's here.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-05-2008 6:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

My heart-felt thoughts to you and yours. It's a shame that your brother felt unable to join in - anyone and everyone is encouraged to post here! It's a lovely though that his collection should go to some one who will appreciate them as much as he, I hope whoever takes it up appreciates them for what they are and what they represent.

I'm genuinely touched by this thread.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-05-2008 10:27 PM In reply to

Dear Nick:  

My condolences on the lost of your brother.

I would like to share the following poem:

If I die, survive me with such sheer forcethat you waken the furies of the pallid and the cold,
    from south to south, lift your indelible eyes, 
    from sun to sun dream through your singing mouth.
    I don't want your laughter or your steps to waver.
    I don't want my heritage of joy to die. Don't call up my person.  
    I am absent.Live in my absence as if in a house.
    Absence is a house so fast 
    that inside you will pass through its walland hang pictures on the air.
    Absence is a house so transparentthat I, lifeless, will see you, living
    and if you suffer, my love, I will die again. 

By Pablo Neruda 

Dario 

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 06-06-2008 12:58 AM In reply to

Dear Nick,

My condolences go out to you and I hope someone here will cherish your brother's collection.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-06-2008 3:39 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Nick, I too am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is very nice that you have posted to say thank you to the members of Beoworld though.

Craig

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-06-2008 8:45 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I'm sorry for your brother and very touched by your post.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)