in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-15-2008 2:19 PM by petep. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2008 6:26 PM

What is the best pre-amp to Beogram turntables?

Hello everybody,

I need to buy a pre-amp to connect my BG5005 to my BM6500.

I was searching for them in local electronics shop and in eBay... I found nice ones by NAD and Pro-ject, and cheaper "non branded" in eBay, like this.

What are your thoughts/experience on this?

Cheers! 

Jorge Marcedo Coimbra | Portugal
  • 05-27-2008 8:04 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Re: What is the best pre-amp to Beogram turntables?

How good are you with electronics?  If you're familiar with soldering you can easily build your own with a kit such as this one.  It will outperform preamps costing much more.  It's built around a good opamp, and I've had great results with it.  It doesn't come with its own power supply, so you'll either have to use two 9-volt batteries, two ac wall adapters (preferably regulated ones), or ideally a regulated power supply kit (also sold on the same website).

Another advantage with such a kit, and one I really liked, is that for b&o turntables, you can put the circuit inside a nice looking aluminum enclosure, and put DIN plugs on it so you can plug the turntable in directly without any adapters.  I'll dig mine out and take a picture.

If you don't want to build your own, I'd recommend a pretty inexpensive one.  You likely won't get much better sound as you go up in price.  The sound may be a tad 'different', but that's not necessarily the same as 'better'.  This is a pretty common one in the US.

Art DJPre-II Riaa Premap

Although I'd recommend an inexpensive one, I'd still go with a basic brand though.  On that cheap black box one you don't know anything about the circuit or power supply.   You don't necessarily know for a branded one either, but I'd bet it's more likely to be designed correctly.

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 05-28-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

At £14.99 it's worth a try!

I use a similarly priced one and it's fine. Looks similar to the one on ebay but has no name to identify it. I have supplied similar to customers and nobody has ever complained.

Make sure that you maintain ground continuity between the deck and your amp or you will get mains humm!

Regards Graham

• 05-28-2008 8:47 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

jmarcedo:

Hello everybody,

found nice ones by NAD and Pro-ject

Well I have a Pro-ject mre amp I use with my Beosound 3000. Chose it mainly though as I have a Pro-ject turntable too. Cost was about £50 from a shop close to where I work. Have to admit though I would give a cheaper on a go first.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-28-2008 10:24 AM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

• 05-28-2008 12:09 PM In reply to

I'm sure it is!

And what about the solution Profitec TC400? It sounds good?

Thanks for your help! 

• 05-28-2008 12:24 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

The Profitec TC400 is a good solution and not expensive. I think it also depends on the type of stylus that you use. I used the Profitec TC400 when I had a MMC4 stylus on my beogram, which sounded fine. Then I bought a new SMMC2 from Soundsmith and decided to go for a tube phono pre-amp. The SMMC2 sounded better, but in combination with Pro-Ject Tube amplifier, the difference was even bigger.
  • 05-31-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

I have ordered a Cambridge audio RIIA. Costs around 60 Euro. Will arrive next week and then I can tell if it is any good. Not all cheaper ones I have checked has ground connection which I have found trouble with.

• 06-02-2008 5:21 PM In reply to

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

I've recently bought a Graham Slee Gram Amp Bridge.  Looks well made (In the UK too) nice little black aluminium box.  So far the sound is really good, really brings the base out compared to the cheaper one I was using.  Now just waiting for my SMMC2 that I ordered a month ago from SoundSmith!

Pete.

• 06-08-2008 1:18 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

The QED Discsaver is a good cheap option.  Use it on battery though.
  • 06-10-2008 7:35 PM In reply to

Pete,

Where did you buy it and how much did you pay for it?

I'm not really satisfied with my Profitec. To hear my BG5005 I have to put the sound volume up to 60-65!
    The only advantage is that it saves me the problem with hand made cables to connect the DIN cable to a RCA pre-amp...

And what is this "QED Discsaver"? I've never heard of it before...

Thanks in advance!

• 06-10-2008 10:55 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Rather than best it's best value for me........The QED Discsaver is a relatively cheap phono stage that B&O Australia recommended and I have no problems with it. There was a company in Sydney that brought them in. I bought mine from B&O. It compared well against other more expensive units. I got a cable made with the additional earth that stops humming in the earlier turntables.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/441

beoaus.

• 06-13-2008 4:28 PM In reply to

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Jorge,

I got mine on ebay here

Only cost me £98 and postage is free within the UK.

Brilliant pre-amp, I even had to turn the bass down, (I thought I heard that the BG5005 was bass light!) I even play at the usual volume level as a CD.  Only downside is the really bright LED on the front!

Pete.

• 06-13-2008 7:13 PM In reply to

Pete,

And how did you manage to connect it to your Beogram and Beosystem?

Did you buy it also? Where?

Is there anyone who knows where to by this kind of cables?

Cheers!

• 06-15-2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

I bought it from the link in my previous post.  He seems a great seller, as it arrived in good time, and well packaged; free postage too.

I use a DIN to RCA phono cable to connect the Beogram to the pre-amp, but I don't have a Beosystem so just have to use phono cables to my HI-FI a Pioneer XC-L5 with the surround processor.

Pete.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)