in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-27-2008 11:50 PM by mans. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-24-2008 12:10 PM

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Seeking advice on connecting non-B&O speakers to Beocenter 9300

Hi!

I was just browsing the B & O community site and i see that so many here are very knowledgeable when it comes to these types of products.

I just recently acquired a mint B&O product from a friend (Beocenter 9300 with Beovox CX100 speakers). However, the speakers need the foam rings replaced. I am in the process of buying these rings off the net but at the same time, i have some doubts as to whether these speakers would be good enough for my listening pleasure (they're rather small but interestingly heavy though, but they pretty much look like my current computer speakers and i'm not convinced it'll deliver respectable bass).

I have a couple of Bose speakers lying around (some cubes and a woofer) and i'm wondering if i'm better off using these speakers. What do you suggest? Also, how can i possibly connect these speakers? Powerlink? With what adaptor? Any guides on compatibility (impedance, load, etc.)? What would be the best way to connect them to (e.g. powerlink? auxiliary? headphones? etc.)

Would really appreciate your help as i am very intent on making the most out of this fine equipment. It looks beautiful and iconic. :D

Thank you very much and looking forward to your reply..

Most sincerely,

Atty. Mans Tumanda
    Philippines - Metro Manila
  • 05-24-2008 12:17 PM In reply to

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Re: Seeking advice on connecting non-B&O speakers to Beocenter 9300

And i apologize in advance if my question is rather stupid. I'm not really an audiophile and i just got this Beocenter unit from a friend who need some money. I've heard of B&O's before (and how expensive they are) but i would have to admit i got this unit dirt cheap (around USD200 only!) and the only thing wrong are the foams on the CX100 speakers. The Beocenter itself is mint condition.

In any case, the Beocenter 9300 has a good and solid amplifier already right? I guess i'd have to check out reviews then if only to appreciate this unit a bit more. Thanks! :D

• 05-24-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

Good price! Any passive speakers will work fine. the BC9300 can power either active or passive speakers and for passive you will need some two pin DIN plugs . I am not sure how your Bose speakers normally connect but I suspect that you run both channels to the sub woofer and then there are leads to the cubes. Bose speakers do not have the best reputation though. I wonder if you can use the CX100s with the subwoofer?
  • 05-24-2008 2:16 PM In reply to

I used to use Bose connected to an 8000 - they were terrible and I swapped them real quickly.  I use CX100s in my office and am very happy with them - I would suggest trying to get hold of a 2nd hand Beovox Cona to help with some bass.  Does really depend on the size and shape of your room though.  The CXs will work with the Bose Subwoofer if it's passive - well worth a try.

If you end up hating the whole setup I'm certain anyone here will give you the price you paid and a whole lot more if you want to sell it! 

• 05-24-2008 3:43 PM In reply to

Hi there, welcome to Beoworld.org!

What you need is this.

Meaning, two DIN plugs to connect with the 9300 and a quality speaker cable, both are easy to find in any decent electronics shop (at least here in the west). As I don't know how things are in Philipines, I put above the link to an eBay item.

I hope it will work. I'm not a fan of Bose, but I suppose the CX100 are not really the best option to a main stereo in the house. So, you should listen to the Bose pair plus the sub, and if it's fine to you, all I can wish is the best listening time you can!

Cheers, 

Jorge Marcedo Coimbra | Portugal
  • 05-24-2008 8:40 PM In reply to

Me too! I don't like Bose either. So I connected my 9500 to a pair of Linn Katan. It sounds great and looks fantastic.
  • 05-24-2008 9:03 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

CX100's are surprisingly good speakers for their size but I suppose it is dependant on what you are used to listening to. Bose are total pants in comparison so you may be in for quite a pleasant surprise when you get them refoamed. I have refoamed many of these so please feel free to drop me a PM when you get your replacement surrounds and I'll pass on some invaluable tips before you set about them as it isn't totally straight forward with these.

I agree with the comments re:- adding a sub woofer though. The Beovox cona was designed specifically to enhance the bass of CX range of speakers but whether your Bose unit is up to the task I really couldn't say but it would be worth giving it a go for nothing.

BTW you really DID steal this system for the price. The CX100's are worth that aloneSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-24-2008 11:47 PM In reply to

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hello everybody and thanks for the warm welcome. Didn't expect to get this many replies in half a day. :)

Yes, I did get quite a bargain for the system. My friend was telling me he's been eyeing the iPod Touch for quite sometime and told me he hasn't been using this system (about 5 times only in his recollection) in the 7 years since his dad gave him the system. Even cursed the system of not having anything usable for him - as the speakers also can't be connected to his computer, unit doesn't read mp3s etc. Heheh :D

And while it was a gamble on my part (basically bought it since i thought it would look good in my office), after having read a couple of reviews last night, i think i made the right decision in buying it off him. He even considered it a favor that i bought it. Hahaha! One man's junk really is another man's treasure eh?

In any case, yep, i also found a few more articles about the BC9300 and CX100 and i'm beginning to realize my blasphemy in even considering pairing up the B&O Beocenter with Bose speakers :) So, i'll order my foams now and search for an 'audiophile' calibre sub if i can't find a B&O Cona (B&O doesn't even distribute here in the Philippines i think). Would Wharfedales, Rogers and Cerwin Vega's do? JBLs are actually aplenty here and i'll check if they have respectable passive woofers.

I've a few questions though. If i'm bent on using the CX100 and simply adding a sub, would that mean i'm only limited to using a PASSIVE subwoofer? Which port of the 9300 do i connect it to? Also, is the 9300 capable of 5.1 output? Through which connections? Cause i've heard a couple of Wharfedale 5.1 setups (4 sats + 1 woofer) in the mall before and they sound really good. By the way, most electronics are also considerably very cheap brandnew here in the Islands (must be a pricing strategy). Just no Band & Olufsen outlet as i recall. Sigh* :(

Again, thank you very much for the warm welcome and more power to this community! :)

• 05-24-2008 11:59 PM In reply to

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

My mistake, we actually do have ONE B&O outlet here in the Philippines, right smack in the center of the business district - Makati City. :) I'll check them out when i have the time but i don't think they'd be too happy to help with my outdated setup (and the fact that i got it second-hand and aftermarket). Heheh :D 

• 05-25-2008 3:35 AM In reply to

Actually before we get into Bose bashing (!), I should say that the CX100 will not be regarded as Hi-Fi by many people. They are very good for their size but your first impressions are accurate. Something of that size cannot produce low bass to rival bigger speakers. They are extremely useful for small rooms and as speakers one can use at close quarters - I use a pair next to my computer, along with BL3s - both sound quite nice in different ways! The Cona has other failings so don't get hung up looking for one of those. I would certainly try the Bose one but if that doesn't make the grade, Velodyne and similar makes make good devices. Make sure they have outputs for the CX100s and you will be fine.
  • 05-25-2008 10:01 AM In reply to

you know what, while i would def re-foam the cx's and save them...

have you considered looking for an older larger pair of passives? perhaps s45/s55/s60 etc...? the early s45's really are fantastic sounding speakers and can usually be found for not a great deal more than the re-foam kit and your time to install.

btw, i run s60's w/ my 9300 and they sound wonderful...

enjoy! 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-26-2008 1:00 PM In reply to

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi everybody.

Yes, i just ordered my surround foams from a supplier i found in London, hopefully they arrive soon.

As of now, i'm also looking for a good second-hand B&O subwoofer (just to be purist), but i'm also looking into other brands (like Mordaut Short and JBL which is widely available here in the Philippines) but my problem is they're all active speakers. Can't seem to find many passive ones in the market here.

So my dilemma now actually is, granted i use the CX100s, how do i connect an ACTIVE subwoofer? Through the Powerlinks using an adaptor? Cause i doubt i could find a subwoofer with proper outputs for the CX100s. So i guess i'll just have the CXs connected via the usual way and add a line-out for the active sub. Am i correct?

Any and all inputs highly appreciated. :)

• 05-27-2008 11:50 PM In reply to

• mans
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2008
    • Philippines
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi everyone! Any idea as to whether i can use an ACTIVE sub along with the Beovox CX100s in my Beocenter 9300? Thanks! :) 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)