in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-24-2008 10:17 PM by burantek. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2008 8:41 AM

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

beocom 2, re-anodising?

I have a bc2 which frankly has seen better days. I was wandering about the viability of having the phone re-anodised. That would obviously involve removing all the guts of the phone and leaving just the aluminium tube.

Has anyone done this? How easy is it to dissasembe and then re-assemble the bc2?

If this is possible then it should be possible to get the phone looking new again, and in any colour I chose. The actual anodising process is relatively cheap and simple, having made a few calls.

Thanks

Dan

• 05-22-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

Re: beocom 2, re-anodising?

B&O suggest that this unit is not serviceable but is exchanged. The unit taken is returned to Struer. You can remove the battery pack - you need a Torx 6 screwdriver but beyond this I cannot say. I imagine the rest is bonded into place.
  • 05-22-2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

"exchanged".....?

Do you mean a b&o store will give some allowance against a new one? Any idea how much?

Thanks  

• 05-22-2008 2:47 PM In reply to

I have heard that £150 is paid and the phone is exchanged for a new one.
  • 05-23-2008 5:35 AM In reply to

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

mobeyone:
    I have heard that £150 is paid and the phone is exchanged for a new one.

Sort of. I called a couple of dealers this morning. I'm told that they don't do a swap over unless the phone is in pretty good condition (which kind of defeats the object somewhat). It's generally done to assist those whose phone might have developed a fault I'm told, and yes, the price quoted was £150. Oh, and they will need a copy of the original sales receipt containing the serial number. Which I don't have of course as I bought it used. Don't you just hate it when B&O salesmen get all snotty and talk to you like you're something they trod in just because they suddenly realise they're speaking to someone who dared to buy something second hand. Makes me want to go to the store and run him over in my (second hand) M5. Rant over.

So anyway, looks like this is a non starter. So back to the original question as to whether anyone has any idea of how easy it is to gut the bc2 down to metal? I can get it re-anodised any colour I want for only £50

Thanks      

• 05-23-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Are you having it re-anodised in a unique colour or the original one? Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-23-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

Unfortunately, you're at a bit of a dead end with this one.  Your right about the swap handsets, they are there if a handset is faulty and dealers have no facility to service them apart from software, if the handset is damaged then Struer will not accept it as an exchange.  When the beocom 2 was developed, one of the most challenging design elements was how to get the various parts in to the phone.  For this, they say they had to develop a method very similar to putting ships in bottles and can only be done with special equipment in denmark. 
  • 05-23-2008 12:57 PM In reply to

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

So the answer then it seems is to bang the phone hard on a table until it doesn't work.

Perfect.

I thought bright pink Lee, for my daughter. Big Smile

• 05-23-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

hi,

not familiar w/ the bc2's anodising, but... here is an option, perhaps.

if the prob w/ yours is just the anodising, and not cosmetic blemishes such as gouges, etc...

an old trick we used to do was: carefully mask out the anodised section and apply "easy-off" or similar "oven cleaning" product. let it sit for a while, and it may require more applications, but eventually it will remove all of the "color coat" down to the bare aluminum. at this point you could dress the aluminum in whatever fashion -brushed/polished etc... and then you could apply a clearcoat if desired... or even another color coat...
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 05-23-2008 4:12 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

That won't be much use to him Jeff, if he wants to re anodise.
    He wont be able to submerge it with all it's innards still in.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-23-2008 4:22 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

demonell:

So the answer then it seems is to bang the phone hard on a table until it doesn't work.

Perfect.

I thought bright pink Lee, for my daughter. Big Smile

My daughters pink avant may be coming up for sale soon!  It may well hit ebay..  I fancy giving her a 32" RF, and she said she would love another pink one!

Waiting for a poor condition RF to land at LifeStyle, then it's all systems go!

Anyone for a Candy Pink 28" Curved VCR??!!!

Lee 

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-23-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

correct... you could not re-anodise using this process. -as you are not removing any components -just masking them off.

as far as my last comment -i was leaning more towards a lacquer or similar finish.
    just remember about the "careful masking!"
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 05-23-2008 6:51 PM In reply to

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

burantek:
    Jandyt:

correct... you could not re-anodise using this process. -as you are not removing any components -just masking them off.

as far as my last comment -i was leaning more towards a lacquer or similar finish.
    just remember about the "careful masking!"

I have to say that I think any attempt at removing the anodised finish would end up looking like a right pigs ear if the innards were not removed. And no, I don't think the phone would be in such great shape after being dipped in sulphuric acid with the innards in situ either.

Surely what goes in must come out. I can't beleive that it's impossible to dissasemble. Or maybe as they're so expensive no-one has wished to be the first to hack it to pieces by experimentation. Maybe I'll try to x-ray it and see if that gives any clues.  

• 05-23-2008 7:32 PM In reply to

I think it's time for a reality check. No matter what portion of the work you are able to perform yourself (and I'm assuming it's fairly close to zero considering the way this particular phone is assembled) any modification you make to it, aesthetic or otherwise, will run you very nearly (if not exceed) the cost of an "open box" phone that most any dealer would regularly have on hand.

If I were you I'd learn to love your handset's flaws or explore a good deal with your local dealer.

Good luck in any case!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-24-2008 10:17 PM In reply to

pig's ear?

i was trying to help... 

seem to recall my initial post coming at the end of...

"Unfortunately, you're at a bit of a dead end with this one."

and... 

"So the answer then it seems is to bang the phone hard on a table until it doesn't work.

Perfect."

well... i have used my "frankenstein" approach rather successfully on items i'd argue are more "component complex" and/or "imminently valuable" and/or "most certainly irreplaceable" than a bc2...

i have never had a problem, never had a failure, in fact, i have never had anything but +acknowledgement from the individuals involved. (mostly defined as "exotic" 2 and 4 wheelers...)

folks... mask it! and apply w/ a cotton swab!!! don't spray it!!! -don't submerge it!!! otherwise -do what TripEnglish says -live w/ it, or buy another!

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)