in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-08-2008 8:47 PM by Razlaw. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-22-2008 6:13 AM

Beosystem 3 with Non-B&O Panel recommendation

Hello @all,

I want to buy a Beosystem 3, but I have to marry it with another panel considering my budget. I found some threads here, but no clearly stated advice, which actual plasma panel works well with it. Does exist one, which provides full access to all functions and no disadvantages compared to a origin B&O panel?

What do you think about a Pioneer KURO?

Thanks! 

• 05-22-2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosystem 3 with Non-B&O Panel recommendation

Pioneer wil release their new screens next month. The last sery was very very good, and the new ones will even be better Cool. Don't know what size you're searching, but the 5080XA or XD has got a very good picture. It is also very stylisch because it's just like the bv4 (no speakers, just a nice frame (without roundings)). It should cost about 2500,- euro's and the new 5090XA (1080P) or XD is around 3500,-.

For 42" I would recommend the 428XD (2000,-) because it's looking better than the 4280 with rounded corners. Panasonic has got the pz85 that's also good looking and about 1300,- euro's. It isn't as well made like Pioneer, but for the price/prestation it will easily win. 

Why do you want a Beosystem 3 ? Just buy a Beo-5 and you can remote your non B&O tv as well Smile.

The 5080 http://www.pioneer.eu/images/eur/PDP508XD-wall_1024.jpg

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-22-2008 8:01 AM In reply to

Thanks for the answer. That is what I need. My livingroom is not that big so I want to go with 40" or 42". And you right, the 5080 is very stylish.

Well, why a BS3. I have also the bedroom linked and have got a Beolab surround. I guess, I will loose Videolink and the nice integration of my Ouverture, which is as well in the living room. But ok - expensive luxury

• 05-23-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

Beobird:

Why do you want a Beosystem 3 ? Just buy a Beo-5 and you can remote your non B&O tv as well Smile.

Picture quality?  Surround sound?

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 05-23-2008 7:16 PM In reply to

exactly
  • 05-23-2008 7:59 PM In reply to

If I were you, I'd skip the Kuro. Not nearly as impressive in person as on paper. I'd go with the commercial version of the Panasonic panel so you can benefit from some of the BeoSystem 3's picture controls.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-24-2008 4:35 AM In reply to

Would I loose in any case some BS3 specific picture control options? 

• 05-24-2008 7:53 AM In reply to

Get a BV7-40 as it has a BS3 inbuilt for same money & includes a DVD player no brainer really as you have said your can only go to 42".
  • 05-24-2008 10:26 AM In reply to

What about the new monitor only G9 Kuro model ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?9d9yjy2yysu  This is a file containing all the new G9 models.

You must look for the KRP-500M/600M   monitor.  I expect nothing can beat at the moment that picture quality.

It is page 4 from the PDF file.

• 05-24-2008 11:21 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:
    If I were you, I'd skip the Kuro. Not nearly as impressive in person as on paper. I'd go with the commercial version of the Panasonic panel so you can benefit from some of the BeoSystem 3's picture controls.

I quess you saw the lower budget 4280XA with rounded corners ? The 50" inches (kuro's, elite's) and the 428XD are very good looking in real life. The Beovisions 7 is the best designed tv ever made, but if I had to choose between a 50" Pioneer Elite and a 50" bv4 (the new one with rounded alumium), I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Pioneer...

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 05-24-2008 11:30 AM In reply to

I agree completely.
    The Kuro picturequality is unbeatable at the moment.
  • 05-24-2008 5:12 PM In reply to

This is admittedly a personal preference, but I prefer the picture on the B&O plasmas. (I do like the Kuro more than the B&O LCDs at the moment, but that could change quite shortly). To me the color is better rendered and the motion processing is more natural. Admittedly the panel is attached to a powerful scaler, but whatever it takes for perfection.

As for the picture on the bare Panasonic panel, there may be some aspects where the Kuro wins, but overall, the benefit is greater considering the active picture controls when connected via RS-232 than just the picture connection over DVI/HDMI.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-25-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

Does the Beosystem 3 operate with 100 Hz for the panel or is it independent, so only the panel has to go with 100 Hz?
  • 05-25-2008 9:06 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

This is admittedly a personal preference, but I prefer the picture on the B&O plasmas. (I do like the Kuro more than the B&O LCDs at the moment, but that could change quite shortly). To me the color is better rendered and the motion processing is more natural. Admittedly the panel is attached to a powerful scaler, but whatever it takes for perfection.

As for the picture on the bare Panasonic panel, there may be some aspects where the Kuro wins, but overall, the benefit is greater considering the active picture controls when connected via RS-232 than just the picture connection over DVI/HDMI.

I think that it is somewhat misleading to refer to "Kuro" as an all embracing term.

Which model range are you referring to,XD or LX?

The concensus view is that the 8G LX range is superior to the XD in terms of processing capability,and PQ.

However,according to reports of Pioneer UK's unveiling/comparative demo of some of the 9G models whilst a current Panasonic panel was very close in PQ to a Pioneer 8G panel,Pioneer have substantially "upped the game" with their 9G range.

Has B & O resolved the BS3 software update problem experienced when used with a Panasonic panel?

• 05-25-2008 4:03 PM In reply to

Terry,

Not at all. I use Kuro as a general term because I have seen a Kuro (of any generation including 8) that can is better than a Panny connected to a BeoSyste 3. They may very well beat them handily if the BeoSystem 3 is not involved, but if you look back to the OP, the nature of this thread is pairing a non-B&O panel with a BeoSystem 3. 

I think the Kuro's are fine frankly, they just don't do it for me. Much of the simple on-board processing that takes place in the pioneer model is obliterated before your eye picks up the image due to the color temperature and brightness of the light in the room as well as the fluid chromatic nature of what's being shown on the screen. If my white-point can't be adjusted in real time, and my color balance can't be adjusted in real time, and my contrast can't be adjusted in real time, than it doesn't really matter what the chipset in the panel is doing as the processed image can't maintain integrity in a real life situation.

Again, not "hating" on the Kuro panels, just pointing out that the OP might be well served to use a Panasonic in order to avail himself of the full compliment of picture processing that the BeoSystem 3 is capable of.  

• 05-25-2008 8:37 PM In reply to

Trip, you say you like the Kuro better than B&O LCDs, "but that could change quite shortly"....are you suggesting something will be changing about the Beovision 7?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 05-25-2008 11:43 PM In reply to

• bumble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2008
    • USA
    • Posts 21
    • Bronze Member

If you can skrimp, save, and afford the BV4, it's absolutely worth it.  Failing that, you'll get predictably good results with any of the Panasonic commercial/industrial plasma panels, and the sizing/format will be good and correct.  Have seen sizing and power control issues with Pioneers, Sharps, and LGs.  No such matters reported with the Panas.

Good luck -

Bumble

• 05-26-2008 7:38 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:
    Trip, you say you like the Kuro better than B&O LCDs, "but that could change quite shortly"....are you suggesting something will be changing about the Beovision 7?

No one is investing in LCD development anymore. All future investment is geared toward making it cheaper.

All new investment is goimng into OLED. The bv7 may have some very small improvements but thats your lot im afraid!

• 05-26-2008 8:28 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:

Terry,

Not at all. I use Kuro as a general term because I have seen a Kuro (of any generation including 8) that can is better than a Panny connected to a BeoSyste 3. They may very well beat them handily if the BeoSystem 3 is not involved, but if you look back to the OP, the nature of this thread is pairing a non-B&O panel with a BeoSystem 3. 

I think the Kuro's are fine frankly, they just don't do it for me. Much of the simple on-board processing that takes place in the pioneer model is obliterated before your eye picks up the image due to the color temperature and brightness of the light in the room as well as the fluid chromatic nature of what's being shown on the screen. If my white-point can't be adjusted in real time, and my color balance can't be adjusted in real time, and my contrast can't be adjusted in real time, than it doesn't really matter what the chipset in the panel is doing as the processed image can't maintain integrity in a real life situation.

Again, not "hating" on the Kuro panels, just pointing out that the OP might be well served to use a Panasonic in order to avail himself of the full compliment of picture processing that the BeoSystem 3 is capable of.  

Hi,

I do not know if Pioneer has incorporated the facility in their XD range,but in the LX there is a "room light sensor" facility.

Pioneer do not state how many parameters are adjusted when enabled,but in a footnote state "As this function automatically optimises image quality,the process in which image settings such as brightness and tint gradually change may be seen on thescreen.This is not a malfunction."

As I have said in other threads,as advised to me by B & O UK,using a BS3 with a Pioneer is not recommended,so as far as the OP is concerned,a Panasonic panel would be the route to go as a cheaper option to a BV4.

• 05-26-2008 8:30 AM In reply to

Kuro is a ™ that applies to Pioneer plasma from generation 8 onwards. I haven't seen the gen 9 screens, but they're reported to have even better colour depth, contrast and black. I'm very satisfied with my gen 8.

OLED is the big buzzword now, though we'll have to wait a while before those screens reach any size. If you money to spare you can buy Sony's small OLED screen - but everyone's expecting these to replace LCD and even Plasma, as the OLED technology, if they can make them large enough and long-life enough, uses a lot less power. And power consumption is becoming an issue as screens are growing in size and processing power.

• 05-26-2008 8:36 AM In reply to

355f:

Razlaw:

No one is investing in LCD development anymore. All future investment is geared toward making it cheaper.

All new investment is goimng into OLED. The bv7 may have some very small improvements but thats your lot im afraid!

Hi,

LED backlighting,and 100Hz,are being portrayed to the buying public as developments in LCD panels.

Is there no justification to these claims?

I thought questions were being raised about the life expectancy of the current OLED panels.

If correct,will further development of LCD really be curtailed?

• 05-26-2008 9:09 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TerryM:
    355f:

Razlaw:

Hi,

LED backlighting,and 100Hz,are being portrayed to the buying public as developments in LCD panels.

Is there no justification to these claims?

I thought questions were being raised about the life expectancy of the current OLED panels.

If correct,will further development of LCD really be curtailed?

OK

LED backlighting does give a huge increase in contrast ratio. So the figures look impressive.

problem is the way contrast ratio is measured is the difference between maximum brightness and maximum blackness and because the way LCD operates the blacks are never as good as the whites! so in the real world not a huge advance although it makes a difference-

This is not new of course- several models have it as do many with 100htz. LCD is a flawed technology- made popular because its very cheap to make the panels-

So my statement refers to new advances in LCD from now on. Only investment to make it cheaper is planned- everything else is geared toward oled- that has its own problems just at the moment, mainly in relation to blue- which has a shoter life than it should for commercial use.

• 06-07-2008 9:43 PM In reply to

What about Beosystem 3 with an LCD?  Smasung for instance? Isn't the Beovision 7 panel a Samsung?

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 06-07-2008 11:30 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Indeed it is.  But it is a hand-sected Samsung Panel, presented behind a carefully manufactured piece of glass.  Your milage may vary.

Russ

PS  If you have to save a bit..by all means buy the BS-3 and save on the display! 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-08-2008 5:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Razlaw:

What about Beosystem 3 with an LCD?  Smasung for instance? Isn't the Beovision 7 panel a Samsung?

I'm not sure what the panel is in the latest version - whether or not it's still a Samsung I don't know. I know they have used Samsung in the past though.

Nonetheless, the panel in the BV7 is very closely tied in to the BeoSystem 3 which is built in. You'll also be missing the contrast/AR panel which comes on the front of the BeoVision 7 (which improves the image dramatically).

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >