in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2008 11:13 AM by camshaft. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2008 2:30 AM

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Keeping clock time displayed on MCP?

Hey guys,

Simple question.  Once I set the clock on my 6500 with the MCP, is there anyway to leave the time constantly displayed on the MCP?  If I press clock it shows the time, but then disappears after about 5 seconds.

Thanks as always,

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 05-21-2008 2:45 AM In reply to

Re: Keeping clock time displayed on MCP?

Tape down the clock button? Stick out tongue

Seriously though, not sure if it will allow as it will drain the batteries fast.

Neil

• 05-21-2008 3:59 AM In reply to

It does stay on a little longer (maybe 20 seconds) if you keep the button down. But I'm sure the MCP doesn't have its own clock, so it would have to keep querying the Beomaster for the time via IR, which would add still to the battery consumption... with an average of maybe 15 LED segments lit at a time, it must take nearer to 100 mA on them alone while displaying the clock.

I expected the MCP to be a real battery hog, but I'm still on my first set (from February). I planned on getting a set of rechargeable batteries, but I don't think they'll ever get cost effective. 

-mika

• 05-21-2008 6:49 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Hi Austin

My understanding is that there is no clock in the MCP itself. 

As this was a two way communication product, when you press the clock button on the MCP it "asks" the BeoMaster the time then displays the response.  

That is why when you wind or rewind the cassette tape, the display on the MCP struggles to keep up with what is actually happening on the BeoCord. 

I would expect that taping down the button would drain your batteries.

Opman

• 05-21-2008 11:13 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Thanks guys.  I knew that the MCP doesn't have its own clock, and just receives the time from the beomaster.  I was thinking though that as long as I kept the MCP in contact with the beomaster there might be a way.  I know battery draw would be greater, but I've seen LED table clocks that run on batteries so I didn't think it'd be a deal breaker, even if I had to replace them more often.  Hmm, this is inspiring a mod though - I may try taking a spare battery cover I have, putting a small switch on it that's connected to the inner clock contacts, along with a little plug to connect a 6V power adapter....

Austin

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)