in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-14-2008 6:12 PM by deaddruid. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2008 11:46 AM

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Malvern, Worcestershire
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

32" Avant 84/23 - which CRT does it need?

Can anyone here tell me the part number for the Cathode Ray Tube in an 84/23 32" Avant?

I want to use a CRT analyser on it, but this will be safer and easier if I can identify the part number.

Therefore, what I really need is the CRT manufacturer's part number, rather than B&O's number.

Any help gratefully received,

Mark

Filed under: ,
  • 05-20-2008 6:18 PM In reply to

Re: 32" Avant 84/23 - which CRT does it need?

There's a big label on the tube itself, behind a black plastic cover which you can easily remove.
    (if not, i can look it up for you....).
  • 05-21-2008 9:17 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Ah hah!

I had thought that the black plastic cover *was* the label, but painted black! I've now revealed the real label: W76ESF331X44

Unfortunately, this tube code does not appear in my manual, so I can't simply look up its properties. Guess I've got some research to do...

Mark 

• 05-21-2008 6:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I don't know if this is any use to you, but you might find it interesting.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-22-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thank you, Andy. I've had a look on some TV repair forums, and this seems to be the general consensus - that W76ESF tubes have a design fault, which can't be fixed. I'll still have a go, because the alternative is to scrap it.

I'm surprised to find this situation, because one of the reasons I went for a 32" was due to all the problems I've read about with the 28" tubes. I (foolishly) assumed that meant that that the 32" should be OK. Maybe there's just a lot more 28" Avants around!

I can't help wondering if there are still firms in the UK which can re-gun tubes. This used to be common in the 1980s, but I've not come across such companies recently.

Mark 

• 05-27-2008 6:19 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Sadly, it seems that the forums were right.

I got my analyser connected up at the weekend, and it confirmed my diagnosis - there is a short between the blue cathode and the first grid (G1). Using the "remove G1 short" feature on the analyser, there's a lovely spark from the blue gun, but the fault remains. It therefore seems that the two parts really are touching - it's not just a bit of dirt.

My Avant is therefore dead.  Sad 

There appear to be no tube re-gunning shops left in the UK. That means I need a new tube, or an Avant with a good tube, but knackered electronics. Any suggestions...

Mark 

• 05-27-2008 6:31 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Have you tried using a Beo4?
    If that's not heavy enough, try hitting it with the heel of your shoe.Wink

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-29-2008 4:54 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thanks, "friend".

:)

Mark 

• 07-11-2008 3:13 PM In reply to

Mark, if your Avant didn't make it to the scrap heap as yet, i've found an affordable solution to this tube problem, will make a separate post of it...
  • 07-11-2008 4:37 PM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

It's still in the garage Big Smile. Did you find a supplier in the UK? Contact details would be really helpful.

Also, how did you align the tube in the chassis? B&O had a set of wedges for this, but I guess they are unlikely to be critical.

Mark 

• 07-11-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

Actually i live in the Netherlands so i don't know any supplier in the UK but i think any electronic parts shop (or tv service shop) should be able to get those, overhere they buy their parts at a company called ASWO, i assume you have a similar supplier  in the UK.

The alignment (mechanical): a few pieces of left over MDF, than just fix the screws so the tube can still be moved/lifted a bit and a little help from a measuring tape to center it....and than tighten.

It's not that critical; if it's a milimeter too low or too high this can be compensated with the geometry adjustments anyway....but yes, it looks better of course if centered properly.

But yeah, the whole surgery requires a bit of patience and care, but it can be done without dedicated tools, but i wouldn't advice to do it if you don't have any experience with this matter.

• 07-14-2008 5:28 AM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Oh, I'm quite happy to do the tube change - I used to do this sort of thing quite a lot in the 1980s. However, I've not yet had the front off an Avant, so I haven't seen the problems that are peculiar to an Avant. Thank you for the name of your suppliers. I'll try to trace an equivalent in the UK. I've just gone through the "secondhand on eBay, or new tube" problem, and decided the new tube would be a better use of funds. Of course, this relies on the UK price being similar to the Netherland price. Thank you again, Mark
  • 07-14-2008 7:02 AM In reply to

If they're willing to do so, i think any tv repair place could order it and they pay (overhere) 155,- euro including transport (!) excluding VAT so....:):)

I also found a second hand one overhere but decided also that paying 75,- euro for that (with the risk of getting 'trouble' again) and having to drine 2x 100 KM's wasn't a good deal and i was able to buy mine through a friend's company (at no profit).

You must have some electronics/tv repair forum for the UK also, maybe post something there ?

Anyway, keep us posted and if you need to know anything specific abt the Avant bit let me know (i also have the service doc).
  • 07-14-2008 6:12 PM In reply to

• deaddruid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 247
    • Founder

Thank you.

I've now found that ASWO have a distributor in the UK, and will try to open an account with them. The trouble is that they expect you to be member of a recognised trade body :(

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mark 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)