in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2008 5:48 AM by PhilLondon. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2008 8:08 AM

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

Can Beo5 control a Virgin Media STB?

As the topic asks - can it? I have a Virgin media box and a Sony DVD recorder connected to my Avant and ideally would like to control them all via the remote but not sure if the Beo5 supports either...... Anyone with some inside info? Cheers all.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 05-20-2008 10:04 AM In reply to

Re: Can Beo5 control a Virgin Media STB?

Yes but not directly. You have to use the on board STB control on your television. Bang & Olufsen have just updated the PUC codes again and added more UK cable and sat boxes including the virgin v+ box.

If your television is in the current range you should be able to get your dealer to update the STB list. Needs to be done by your dealer as they will have the software to upload the data file.

I hope this helps.

• 05-20-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

Sorry just re read your post and you have an Avant. Not sure if a new chip is available for it which carries the new boxes. Again ask your dealer they should know.

Vinnie.

• 05-20-2008 10:12 AM In reply to

Hi,

I have the same question regarding the Homechoice (now Tiscali) ADSL/TV box

p. 

• 05-20-2008 10:18 AM In reply to

which box have Virgin given you? and do you know which stb table you have on your avant? you will be able to find out which stb table you have by pressing tv, then menu, then with the menu open press 00 then GO. Then on Monitor information press Go, you should then see your STB version.

I might be able to check if you box is on this list.

• 05-20-2008 10:19 AM In reply to

wtlc2zpx - do you also have an avant?
  • 05-20-2008 10:24 AM In reply to

Just checked and Homechoice PVR is on the STB list 3.91 version. You should be able to control it with that but may require a new chip.

Check to see what STB control is in your tv.

• 05-20-2008 11:52 AM In reply to

No, I have a BV7-32... so I think they can update the software with just a laptop.

p. 

• 05-20-2008 12:29 PM In reply to

Yeah that sounds much better. As you say the laptop solution will work, not sure what they charge for the service tho. Would be good to get the apple tv etc and other boxes that might come into use at a later date, PS3 and Sky HD box just in case you switch at any point. Easy for them to add loads of different boxes and only takes minutes to upload the data.

Vinnie.

Then get them to update your Beo5 if you dont have the software tool.

• 05-20-2008 12:43 PM In reply to

vinnie21:

Yeah that sounds much better. As you say the laptop solution will work, not sure what they charge for the service tho. Would be good to get the apple tv etc and other boxes that might come into use at a later date, PS3 and Sky HD box just in case you switch at any point. Easy for them to add loads of different boxes and only takes minutes to upload the data.

Vinnie.

Then get them to update your Beo5 if you dont have the software tool.

You're reading my mind vinnie...

I am moving home soon, and I cannot get sky any longer so I will probably choose homechoice, or maybe Virgin. But homechoice offer better broadband, international phone calls for free (I call FR and DE every day) and is cheaper!!!! 

When I bought my BV7 a year and a half ago, my dealer said to me he'll help me to move my TV to my new flat when I buy one. Now it is done, so I am planning to ask him to upgrade my TV to the latest software, add Virgin and Homechoice and AppleTV to the STB-C list.

I'll also try to get the new Beo5 software as the current config I have is not correct.

Optionally I'll get a DVB-T decoder and the 4 DVI expander installed as well. But strangely enough there is no terrestrial reception where I am in central london!!!!!!

p. 

• 05-20-2008 3:26 PM In reply to

• Dave0280
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2008
    • Birmingham, UK
    • Posts 126
    • Gold Member

It says Table 1.4 and SW 2.3 on my Avant. The Virgin box is a Samsung V Box.... cheers.

Dave - Birmingham, UK
  • 05-21-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

I dont think this box is available on the STB table, even the most up to date table.

You couls always check with your dealer tho, there maybe a new one.

• 05-21-2008 4:50 AM In reply to

I would not worry about your terrestrial signal, that will be switched off soon enough anyway. Has your place in London got a digital aerial? I know you can pick up most digital channels using a basic analogue aerial, but the digital signal does not suffer from shadowing from buildings like the analogue signal so getting a digital aerial should improve your chances of getting a good digital reception if you go for the DVB-T module.

If you are in a block of flats this might not be so easy tho!

Good luck.

• 05-21-2008 5:48 AM In reply to

The terrestrial reception is very bad - analog and digital - so flats in the area do not even have an areal.

Suprising in the center on London (old street).

p. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)