in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-21-2008 4:28 AM by Razz1971. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-18-2008 3:31 AM

My first B&O product: Beovox MC120.2

Well, I finally got my pair of MC120.2s that I asked about a while back. Got them yesterday.

I can only say that I'm really happy with them. They sound great flat, and when I run them through an equalizer, they sound even better. Now I can say that I'm a real B&O user!

The speakers themselves are in very good condition. All of the cones and foams are in perfect condition, and the wood still shines.  

At first, I thought they were going to be disappointment. The guy I bought them off gave me test drive before I took them, and I thought the bass was very lacking. However, upon getting home and plugging them into my own amplifier, the sound was much more balanced. The higher frequencies are very clear, and with woofers like those, I was able to pump up the bass a bit.

I guess all of those old speakers are all a bit lacking when it comes to bass (by modern standards), because people didn't listen to really bassy music in the 80s. With a bit of tweaking, you can get a very good sound, even when playing modern music.

What about you guys? Do you use equalizers with your B&O stuff, or do you like it au naturel? Do you find the bass a bit lacking when listening to more modern music?

• 05-18-2008 3:39 AM In reply to

Re: My first B&O product: Beovox MC120.2

For the size of speaker I always felt the S120 had a reasonable amount of bass. However for really deep and powerful bass, you need the next step up, the M100 or MS150. I doubt anyone would ever say there was insufficient bass with them!

I am very surprised that the bass units don't have  foam rot though. Not sure I have seen a pair recently that don't! I always listen with a flat frequency response personally but as you have already said, different music and indeed ears prefer different settings.

Pleased to hear you like the MC120s!  

• 05-18-2008 3:44 AM In reply to

Well, there was still plenty of bass, but I still wanted to pump it up slightly. I think the sound is really excellent, though. I think the best indication of how good the speakers are is how they sound very, very loud, and very, very soft. The MC120.2s still have a very balanced sound at both ends.

There was actually foam rot, but the last owner replaced the foams. He took them to a very good repair place who did a great job... all the better for me! 

• 05-18-2008 4:03 AM In reply to

Very good! An insider at B&O described the MC120.2 as the best balanced passive speaker that B&O made. Difficult not to agree!
  • 05-19-2008 6:35 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

I have just properly installed my fully refurbished MC120.2's and have to say I don't find them lacking in bass at all - in fact quite the opposite! They are wall mounted on the original B&O brackets and this would no doubt show if there were any shortcomings with the bass as I believe mounting them on floor stands gives you the best low frequency enhancement.

I did replace the capacitors on the crossovers which made a noticable difference with the seperation and clarity so maybe this is something you may consider yourself.

I totally agree with Peter's comment re:- how well balanced they are.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-19-2008 8:02 AM In reply to

No lack of bass in my Beovox M150's for sure. Nearly 99% flat listning too.

They can handle the power of my BM8000 and sound is well balanced. Not a speaker you get tired off listning too.

I have read a Danish HIFI review of the Beovox MS150 and it says the same. Top points allround.

I hope to find a pair of Mc120.2 in white for my white Beosystem 6000 '80s.

• 05-20-2008 7:41 AM In reply to

I actually think it might be something to do with my amp. It has always made speakers sound like they were a bit lacking in the bass area. I got my MC120.2s and plugged them into my dad's high end 1982 Sony amp, and they sounded beautiful, and that was with a completely flat frequency response.

I think it might be a good idea to invest in a new amp. Anyone got any ideas? I think I want to get something new, rather than vintage. 

• 05-20-2008 10:12 AM In reply to

Zelbinion:

I actually think it might be something to do with my amp. It has always made speakers sound like they were a bit lacking in the bass area. I got my MC120.2s and plugged them into my dad's high end 1982 Sony amp, and they sounded beautiful, and that was with a completely flat frequency response.

I think it might be a good idea to invest in a new amp. Anyone got any ideas? I think I want to get something new, rather than vintage. 

What's wrong with vintage? Age? Repairs or just the look? The sound is just as great as any new hifi out today.

A Beomaster 6000 '80s would be the perfect amp.

• 05-20-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

Friedmett:

No lack of bass in my Beovox M150's for sure. Nearly 99% flat listning too.

They can handle the power of my BM8000 and sound is well balanced. Not a speaker you get tired off listning too.

I have read a Danish HIFI review of the Beovox MS150 and it says the same. Top points allround.

I hope to find a pair of Mc120.2 in white for my white Beosystem 6000 '80s.

I had my MS150s refoamed a few years ago. The company who did them were so impressed with the sound that they tested them themselves just to see how flat the frequency response was - they make their own monitor speakers - incedibly flat frequency response! I have the graphs somewhere! 

• 05-20-2008 10:25 AM In reply to

How about a Beomaster 8000? My favourite B&O amp and contemporaneous to the MC120s.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-20-2008 10:44 AM In reply to

Not exactly compact though! Big Smile

Beomaster 4400 - why not the best! Smile 

• 05-20-2008 10:50 AM In reply to

Peter :

Not exactly compact though! Big Smile

Beomaster 4400 - why not the best! Smile 

True!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 05-20-2008 11:36 AM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Peter :
    Very good! An insider at B&O described the MC120.2 as the best balanced passive speaker that B&O made. Difficult not to agree!

I thought that was Ronnie, about  the S120s Peter, or is there not much difference?
    Big week for Ronnie this week, I hope Frede takes lots of photographs!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-20-2008 3:17 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Friedmett:

What's wrong with vintage? Age? Repairs or just the look? The sound is just as great as any new hifi out today.

A Beomaster 6000 '80s would be the perfect amp.

I couldn't agree more. I'm actually using mine with a Beomaster 5500 and they sound just sublimeSmile By choice though I would go for a 4400 without a doubt (if SWMBO would allow me to invest in one).

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-21-2008 12:06 AM In reply to

I have no problem with vintage products, which is why I got the MC120.2s. I actually want to get a new receiver with DTS. I have a whole lot of DTS music that I'd like to listen to in full surround.

• 05-21-2008 4:28 AM In reply to

• Razz1971
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-25-2008
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 66
    • Gold Member

I have gotten a pair of MC120.2 in white, near mint condition.

Haven't heard them play yet as the bass units need refoaming. And a small problem....only one of the units are original, the other a replacement.

Anyone have a "spare" or a set of units they want to part with?

But i am looking so much forward to setting them up with my BM 8000 and Beogram 6006.....really.

Razz

Beocenter 1, Beosound 1 and high hopes for more to come.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)