in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-08-2007 5:47 AM by Nick Jarman. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2007 10:35 AM

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Lets get beoworld racing up the charts

Come on all you PC guru's give all the ideas you have to have Beoworld racing up the google charts,

I dont know anything about how it works but will do anything it takes to help

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-07-2007 10:40 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: Lets get beoworld racing up the charts

graeme, the link in your signature is not working!

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-07-2007 10:41 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I know I have just removed it, how can I get a live link to work?
    Cheers Graeme
  • 05-07-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

What do you want it to be?
  • 05-07-2007 10:48 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hi Peter, would adding a link for beoworld in evryones signature help with the google listings? maybe daft but its just a thoughtEmbarrassed

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-07-2007 10:54 AM In reply to

Just tried! Didn't work!Laughing
  • 05-07-2007 10:57 AM In reply to

Graeme:

Hi Peter, would adding a link for beoworld in evryones signature help with the google listings? maybe daft but its just a thoughtEmbarrassed

No. You need to have an off-site website that links to BeoWorld. The more popular that other site is (i.e., the more traffic) the better - but that's not a requirement. Google measures number of links to a site as a good measure of its popularity and topicality, and therefore awards links extra points. 

• 05-07-2007 10:58 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Well I hate when other sites do it, but it does work.  Using text the same color as the blue page background, you can add hundreds of bang and olufsen related words at the bottom.  This way google sees them but people normally dont.  What bugs me is sites will often include words that aren't directly related to the site, but close enough that they hope the traffic will still help them.  When I use google I usually view the cached page though rather than the main link, so it becomes obvious when a site does this.
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 05-07-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

camshaft:
    Well I hate when other sites do it, but it does work.  Using text the same color as the blue page background, you can add hundreds of bang and olufsen related words at the bottom.  This way google sees them but people normally dont.  What bugs me is sites will often include words that aren't directly related to the site, but close enough that they hope the traffic will still help them.  When I use google I usually view the cached page though rather than the main link, so it becomes obvious when a site does this.

Have just been googling a bit. BeoWorld comes out tops on Everything Bang & Olufsen. (There's a fun one a bit down the page: "Everything Bang & Olufsen does is expensive".)

The site should push Enthusiasts, Fans, Fan site, fansite, repair your B&O, get advice for Bang & Olufsen, etc. - in the way camshaft points out, in order to increase hits.

The product pages will help, as people begin using them. But I agree that it would be smart to have overview pages - now one has to know quite specific things in order to find a product. I like the way Tim Jarman has done this - combination of visuals and text. That kind of functionality will increase traffic. 

• 05-07-2007 11:07 AM In reply to

And then Lee and Peter should get in touch with some press - pointing out the absolute lunacy of the B&O Prizes to be awarded to members of the world's best B&O Enthusiasts' Site. That alone would be reason enough to join, even if you have no B&O at home. People spend a lot more money on the chance they can win a top-marque car in an airport lottery (with very small chances of winning). Better odds, similar cachet!

• 05-07-2007 11:19 AM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

camshaft:

I have heard about this idea (bout the only one I know) but a friend of mine told me that google are onto that one and dont like sites doing it

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-07-2007 11:58 AM In reply to

Actually, search today on Google for Olufsen, and Beoworld is number 2 only to the official site, and search on Bang & Olufsen and we are at 3 behind the official site and the A8 earphones from the official site. Interestingly, Beocentral seem to have disappeared from the rankings. I have no idea why.

They do appear if you search for products. 

• 05-07-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

bang & olufsen is pretty marginal product anyway. not mass market product like sony and philips everyone buy.
  • 05-07-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Just Googled   Bang and Olufsen     and we are third

Just Googled    B&O      and we are second

I.G. has a sponsored link. Does this cost much? Can we do the same?
    Sorry, I know sod all about thisConfused

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-07-2007 2:46 PM In reply to

Lifestyle has a sponsored link but it is far better to get to the top on merit! I usually ignore sponsored links! They also cost you everytime someone clicks on it.
  • 05-07-2007 5:13 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Just added a link to BeoWorld in my signature on MacRumors, which is a pretty large site (about 100 times the traffic of BeoWorld I believe). Not sure if the fact that I've got about 2000 posts there would help, but it's a very very popular site so that might be a noticable benefit!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-07-2007 5:32 PM In reply to

Good idea though I think we are as high as we can go without nicking the B&O name! Where we are not so high is in the product searches. We think that may be down to the way the system searches.
  • 05-08-2007 5:47 AM In reply to

I've just updated your links on Wikipedia and Beocentral - that should help. Smile They were both pointing to the old site.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)