in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-13-2008 4:31 PM by mbee. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2008 2:08 PM

Beolab 3 upgrade question

I know this was discussed earlier but I could not find the thread.  I have a pair of Beolab 3s that I purchased when the speakers were first introduced.  Is there a MKII version or is there an upgrade?  If there is a new version, can the original Beolab 3s be upgraded to the new version?  Thanks.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-13-2008 2:21 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolab 3 upgrade question

AFAIK, the BL3 has not been upgraded. The only thing I think to remember is that the AL was made of aluminum a the launch, but later they swapped to plastic. Still, I'm note sure about this...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-13-2008 3:00 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

PLASTIC ALT??? I hope that's a joke...
  • 05-13-2008 3:04 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'm not quite sure about that, I've heard it before though. The BeoLab 3s overall feel fantastically well built to me, and the ALT always feels very metallic.

If they have swapped it for a plastic ALT, then I can't say it's affected the quality or feel of the speaker at all...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-13-2008 3:29 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

I'm not quite sure about that, I've heard it before though. The BeoLab S overall feel fantastically well built to me, and the ALT always feels very metallic.

If they have swapped it for a plastic ALT, then I can't say it's affected the quality or feel of the speaker at all...

The ALT it´s 90% plastic fantastic! The thin top and bottom plate of the ALT lens housing is made of aluminum, but it is plastic in between though...

BL8000 MkII Black

• 05-13-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Beolab:
    Alex:

I'm not quite sure about that, I've heard it before though. The BeoLab 3s overall feel fantastically well built to me, and the ALT always feels very metallic.

It´s 90% plastic fantastic! The thin top and bottom plate of the ALT lense housing is made of aluminium, but it is plastic in between though...

What about changes/ upgrades? Are there different versions or only one? 

• 05-13-2008 3:44 PM In reply to

• Beolab
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-18-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Bronze Member

Tom:
    Beolab:
    Alex:

It´s 90% plastic fantastic! The thin top and bottom plate of the ALT lense housing is made of aluminium, but it is plastic in between though...

What about changes/ upgrades? Are there different versions or only one? 

BL8000 MkII Black

• 05-13-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Sorry to correct you but there is an upgrade... new type numbers were assiged for the BeoLab 3 range with the upgrade.

-Alex
  • 05-13-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

There is a Mark II version of the Beolab 3 and they were assigned new Type numbers of 687X

As I understand it, B&O improved their production process and used some new materials in the Mark II product which I assume was to get the product cost down. However, by doing this, it changed the performance of the Beolab 3, so to ensure they kept the same sound performance and frequency characteristics from the loudspeaker, the cross-over components were modified

These changed components which effected performance were:-

• Woofer
    • Main chassis PCB

Other items already highlighted in the previous posts were also changed, but they did not actually effective the performance of the speaker.

In my view, if you had a Mark I version, you would not wish to upgrade it to a Mark II even if you could.

Regards Keith....

• 05-13-2008 4:01 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Alex:

Sorry to correct you but there is an upgrade... new type numbers were assiged for the BeoLab 3 range with the upgrade.

Thanks, Alex! So there has been an upgrade, but no visible one. 

• 05-13-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

No AUDIBLE one, I hope Big Smile
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)