in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-13-2008 3:43 PM by sajpratty. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2008 2:59 PM

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Odd marks on a CD tray of a CD5500

Has any one ever come across marks like this before.......

And if so - have you had any success at removing them?

Cheers

Nigel 

• 05-12-2008 4:05 PM In reply to

Re: Odd marks on a CD tray of a CD5500

Aargh! I've seen that before [:'(]

Though not on a CD tray - I last saw it on my (last but 3) motorbike's crankcase covers. Aluminium alloy rot. Happens to alloy wheels, too. When the lacquer protecting  aluminium from oxidising fails water vapour in the air starts to rot the aluminium. (You get a similar looking effect from fungus on old camera lenses, but I think we can rule mouldiness out here.) If I'm right about it being lacquered alloy, you'll need to strip off the lacquer, remove the white powder with some alloy cleaner, polish it up as best you can and re-lacquer. The longer you leave it the worse (deeper) it will get. I hope my diagnosis is wrong.

Steve 

• 05-13-2008 4:39 AM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

I think your diagnosis is spot on Steve. I had some alloy wheels on a Peugeot once that went exactly the same way. Now wheels in an outside environment I can understand corroding, but a CD tray???? There's no other signs of corrosion inside the machine - very bizarre.... Fortunately I've got another CD5500 with a dead laser but a perfect tray so I can feel some transplant surgery coming on Big Smile

Cheers

Nigel 

• 05-13-2008 3:43 PM In reply to

Hi Nigel, sorry to hear that I was right. Once rot gets hold its a lot of work to remove and there's usually some pitting after. Must have been a faulty item, it shouldn't happen on something kept indoors. Glad you've got a transplant option though.

Cheers, Steve 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)