in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-15-2008 6:52 AM by sinuhe. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2008 2:32 PM

BV8 + AppleTV, Macmini or Playstation3?

Dear Beoworlders,

It seems that my new BV8-32 has two STB-controllers. Now, if the other one is for my digital cable tuner (+ HDD), the other one can command AppleTV, Mac mini (can it?) or Playstation 3 (?). 

Which one should I choose. I'm a hard core Apple fan but can live without AppleTV, if necessary (I have iMac24 in my study). Mac mini would have a DVD player build in and Playstation even has a Blueray player build in (?) - tempting...I don't however, play games. If I did, I'd get a Wii instead (any experince, somebody?)

Any experience among esteemed members of Beoworld? Any suggestions?

Thanks! 

• 05-12-2008 2:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV8 + AppleTV, Macmini or Playstation3?

I am a huge fan of the Apple TV as a product (in case you hadn't noticed already Stick out tongue). I'd strongly urge you go for one - they're absolutely brilliant.

I'd use a dedicated DVD player too, and don't connect it via HDMI - connect it via scart!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-12-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

Completely agree with Alex.  

AppleTV is fantastic-- much more user friendly than connecting a Mac Mini to your system. I have both the ATV and MM connected to my BS3/BV4-50-- and I hardly ever us the Mini.  A dedicated DVD player would also be more user friendly as well.  While I have used the Mini for DVD's, I typically either use the Samsung bluray or DVD1 that I have connected.  The picture on the DVD1 is amazingly sharp and clear-- nearly as good as the bluray, which surprised me.

• 05-12-2008 4:15 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

beobres:

Completely agree with Alex.  

AppleTV is fantastic-- much more user friendly than connecting a Mac Mini to your system. I have both the ATV and MM connected to my BS3/BV4-50-- and I hardly ever us the Mini.  A dedicated DVD player would also be more user friendly as well.  While I have used the Mini for DVD's, I typically either use the Samsung bluray or DVD1 that I have connected.  The picture on the DVD1 is amazingly sharp and clear-- nearly as good as the bluray, which surprised me.

That's more down to the BeoSystem 3's upscaling which is frankly the best I've seen - by quite some margin. Compare the HDMI output of the DVD2 to the scart output (with RGB), the scart is better when using a BeoSystem 3! Surprising, but it's actually because when you connect via HDMI, the DVD2 does the upscaling to HD, whilst when connected via scart, the BS3 does the upscaling...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-12-2008 7:41 PM In reply to

Apple TV is the greatest digital A/V hub in the world. I've integrated Apple TV, and Playstation 3 (for BluRay) to my Beosystem 3  setup and I'm very satisfied with needing only one Beo4 for all, and for being able to hide all 3rd party devices. Both devices are connected via HDMI. A DVD2 and my BC2 are dedicated DVD players. A software upgrade, two IR transponders, and one USB IR eye for the PS 3, are necessary if you want to control all 3rd party devices with the Beo4. The question is: Can you add accessory IR transponders to your BV 8 ?

P.S.: After Apple added HD video content to iTunes, I realized that there is almost no need for BluRay players.  

• 05-12-2008 8:46 PM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I agree with Erg and Alex, and all the others who have been using their Apple TVs with their BeoVisions (like Soundproof and JK1002) -- it works very well.  IMHO it is the first incarnation of the proverbial "digital hub" that will actually take off with consumers.  I see no need for Blu-Ray; I think I'll let that medium pass me by as the Apple TV looks great with HD sources and I don't doubt that 1080p will follow as the internet pipes get better.

For details regarding hooking the Apple TV and other peripherals to a BV8, do a search for some of my posts / threads about that subject as I really posed a lot of questions and got some really good answers from forum members.

Mark

Mark D
  • 05-13-2008 3:09 AM In reply to

I have the ATV & PS3 with my BS3 & BV4, but what do I need to integrate with the Beo4/5?

What are the IR transponders and who supplies them?

Is it best to get the dealer involved?

Thanks.

• 05-13-2008 3:16 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd say so, but for your information, the IR transponders are cables with a 'minijack' connection on one end (the kind you see for iPods etc...) and a tiny little black box on the other end which 'blasts' out IR signals. The box sticks over the IR receiver on whatever device you want to control, and blasts it with IR signals. The other end connects into the matching IR socket on the BS3.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-13-2008 8:09 PM In reply to

I have the Wii with my BV8. If you have small children I would always choose that over the PS3, is much more fun.

When it comes to connections you have one HDMI and one component. So Apple TV and Playstation and HD cable would be not an option.

What I like about the apple TV versus my Imac that I used before is, that the content syncs and its always on. Also I like the option of renting movies and its really quiete. Keep in mind you can not send the mac mini to sleep from the beo4. Also it truely works without keyboard and mouse, I dont want that floating around in my living room and I always had to to control the Imac, i.e. software upgrades were available or I wanted to add new content.

I am sure many will say , oh here is a remote control solution but I want simplicity and ATV gives me that. So get a Wii for teh Kids and an ATV for yourself and move the Mini Mac to the study to manage the content. 

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-14-2008 5:47 PM In reply to

Hi,

can I with good results connect ATV, Wii, DVD1 and a cable STB (digital tuner) at the same time? Which goes where?

• 05-14-2008 8:58 PM In reply to

You would put the ATV to HDMI, the STB to component, you need the sound from the STB to go in through one of the scart connections and lastly you would connect the Wii to AV3 ... the DVD1 will be connected through the scart in the ML module .,... You have a similar setup that I have (BC2 rather then DVD1), except my component is unused as I haven't gotten around to get cable TV yet.

The disadvantage is,  that the picture of the Wii through normal AV is not as good as it would be if you would buy the optional component cable - but you have no connection left for that. 

Even though it is very restricted when it comes to connections, sofar I am very happy with it.

Ah one complain, when putting in a CD and push play it takes a few seconds into the first song until the speaker turn up. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-15-2008 6:52 AM In reply to

Jk and others,

In your set-up, does the STB (+HD) shut down WITH the BV8 (a bit complicated if you're just recording something...)? If it does not, however, it is equally complicated, as then the STB stays always on. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)