in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2008 8:51 PM by stevequinn. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-07-2008 9:57 AM

• stevequinn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2008
    • Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    • Posts 29
    • Silver Member

Cona and BL Pentas

Not sure whether anyone else has tried this setup - before I caught the B&O bug I loved my B&W DM220 passives.

I bought my BC9500 and it had the B&O contagen so off I went and bought a Cona.  I liked it.  I have a thing for good design and engineering design, which probably explains my obsession with DS Citroen... (I went from Citroen mechanic to social justice lawyer, go figure...)

anyhow, I find that the cona Penta combination is a bit boomy, but I like the Cona - any suggestions as to crossover circuits and or capacitor values?  I'm guessing the most sensible advice will be run the Pentas alone, but...

Steve

• 05-07-2008 10:08 AM In reply to

Re: Cona and BL Pentas

Actually, I suppose you could use the cross over in the Cona - send amplified signal to the Cona, and then take the amplified output from the Cona to the Pentas via the Speakerlink connection. I am sure the Pentas will sound better by themselves but I confess to never having tried this. I use a BL2 with mine but for music, the Pentas are best without it. You will lose the display but it would be an easy way to see what it sounds like!

The cross over frequency is 175Hz though which is high as the Cona was really designed to work with CX speakers. I note the frequency the Cona goes down to is the same as the Pentas...Laughing 

• 05-07-2008 8:51 PM In reply to

• stevequinn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-08-2008
    • Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
    • Posts 29
    • Silver Member

Re: Cona and BL Pentas

Thanks for that Peter,

The Pentas do sound great by themselves, and I wouldn't really want to filter them through the Cona.  What I had in mind was lowering the frequency range of the Cona by changing the crossover components, but I'm not really sure how to go about it...

Regards, Steve

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)