in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2008 7:46 AM by Tom. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2008 1:26 PM

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

can b&o survive??!

question was asked a couple of years back in the old forum whether b&o can survive the digital age !what do you think now???
  • 05-06-2008 1:28 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: can b&o survive??!

ed7:
    question was asked a couple of years back in the old forum whether b&o can survive the digital age !what do you think now???

Of course they will survive but ina different way to as we now know the company. Lets say a changed ethos! comming to a sotre near you in 8-12 months!

• 05-06-2008 1:31 PM In reply to

i hope so

otherwise wtf will i do with my beolabs ?

:) 

popgear is grate™

• 05-06-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

In my opinion they will have to do something with the digital media product line. There are much better media center solutions out there than the BeoMedia 1, and the Beoport can easily be beaten by the Sonos system which I think is brilliant and only need the ability to be controlled with the beo 4 Smile

I think that B&O need to use their real force which is the product integration with Masterlink, the beolink remotes and the simple control and then cooperate with someone who knows how to handle digital media (Apple might be an idea). A SD slot in a Beosystem is just not enough today.  

• 05-06-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

355f,

I hope B&O survives also.  However I hope the survival plan is revealed to us at least in part.  I am not really inclined to make any additional B&O purchases for the time being because of the uncertainty. 

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 05-06-2008 1:53 PM In reply to

Sure.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-06-2008 1:56 PM In reply to

well... as elsewhere... perhaps w/ a better alliance or p&p integration w/ companies better suited for whatever that integration may be... (i'm thinking apple tv, etc...)

i think they need the existing/coming re-organization, and -yes they will survive.

on another note, coincidentally...

today is the 10th anniversary of the imac -arguably apple's saving product.

it retailed in 1998 for $1299 usd / today: $1199 usd

avant 32 in 1998: 4950 gbp / bv4-65w/bs3 today: 16,200 gbp

just examples, but something b&o needs to address... they need their saving "beomac" ;-)

• B&o bottle opener
  • 05-06-2008 1:57 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I was told by someone at B&O UK the other day that they are busy closing a few UK stores and taking over others. They've taken over 10, so far, including the Bath store.

All very bizarre - one moment I'm in there talking the owners as normal, two weeks later they've been bought out by B&O UK HQ, with no explanation!

Anyone know what's going on?

• 05-06-2008 2:05 PM In reply to

Yes, Bang & Olufsen is addressing organization at the retail level to increase the consistency of the customer experience. All in all it is a net positive, though, as retailers have a greater "toolbox" with which to service customers. No worries.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 05-06-2008 2:09 PM In reply to

I think it is more like some dealers are finding making money very difficult and have not put enough away during the good times to weather the bad. I am afraid we will see closures - a number are in the pipeline but this should see the better stronger dealers survive and continue to offer good service. Those who do not look after their customers and offer poor service should be very worried.
  • 05-06-2008 2:14 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:
    Yes, Bang & Olufsen is addressing organization at the retail level to increase the consistency of the customer experience. All in all it is a net positive, though, as retailers have a greater "toolbox" with which to service customers. No worries.

Oh! very interesting!  but not factual im afraid!

• 05-06-2008 2:42 PM In reply to

355f, 

My own store was part of this plan. It is indeed factually accurate. Bang & Olufsen have established a new division (Bang & Olufsen Retail) to operate stores world-wide. They will not be buying all stores, however. I don't know if this addresses each individual store being mentioned, but many stores in many countries will experience this transition. 

• 05-06-2008 3:12 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Yes, but the odd thing Peter is that the Bath store is/was in the top five most profitable UK B&O stores - so makes little sense for B&O UK to takeover due to either a) improve customer experience (as the customer experience was superb!) or improve profitability (as it was one of the most profitable).

The only thing I can think of is that B&O UK have put out feelers to their UK stores to ask if anyone is interested in selling up and the Bath franchise owners were quick to take up the option?

• 05-06-2008 3:32 PM In reply to

bno bath have sold up ??

really ?

hmm , wonder why with such loyal customers ! 

popgear is grate™

• 05-06-2008 3:44 PM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

Can I say this:I bought a white BV8 32" last week. I think it is great value. When I purchase this kind of product I consider it first and foremost as a TV but I also consider it as furniture. It is a large object that has to look (in the words of mr Lewis) as good when it is off as when it is on. The plethora of gloss black panels leave me cold.I don't want/need surround – the built in speaker delivers brilliant sound – there is nothing from the other generic manufacturers that can touch it – I had plenty of viewing tests with the Sonys, Panasonics, Samsungs and the sound was dire bar none.I don't want/need a huge panel – 32" is an adaquate replacement from my old MX. The unit fits perfectly in the space as opposed to domineering everything in our living room. Finally, the picture quality is excellent.This is how I rationalise it: you get the panel for approx £1000 (not that much more than  many of the other manufacturers) and the speaker (which I think is better than the Beosound 1) for another £1000 plus a bucket load of good design thrown in for good measure. I wonder, will it be the "affordable" (I use that term cautiously – as in the MX) not the unnatainable products that will enable B&O to survive in the future?
  • 05-06-2008 4:55 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

bno bath have sold up ??

The store is still there (also with refreshed products on display), but the franchise owner sold up and B&O UK now own the store. I met someone from the B&O UK HQ the other day (in-store) and they said that B&O UK have bought 10 UK stores during 2008, so far. That's a lot of capital outlay when UK sales are down...!

• 05-07-2008 12:07 AM In reply to

I think that it will survive, but it will be interesting to see what it looks like in a decade or so. 

We can probably guess that there will be speakers, but the "audio system" seems to be an increasingly obsolete concept. The idea of managing digital music collections on screen has really wide appeal and I've found that taking people from system to system these days doesn't produce the same effect as showing off the BeoMedia. 

It's possible that the BeoSound 5 could change this a bit, but I'd be surprised. I sort of hope that the BeoMedia becomes a more serious product because it could potentially offer a lot of interesting features that it currently doesn't.

I guess that B&O will have to push ahead with the video portfolio because I see every indication that "on-screen" is it for the future.

We have a lot of potentially interesting developments coming. I'm really hoping to feel the effects of the new CEO and his unique background. I'm also interested to see what happens now that it appears we have "woken up" to the importance of software. If we get our sea legs with software we could have some really fantastic products on our hands.  

• 05-07-2008 12:33 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Bang is rolling out a new Retail division.

This was done in Australia very successfully making the Australian division one of the most profitable worldwide.  It was also done for another reason - control. Bang NZ / Ozwas franchised to a wealthy Australian family and DK seized the opportunity to take this back and make some changes to the way it does business.  This will happen throughout Europe.

You will see some positive change.

• 05-07-2008 2:01 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

The takeover is certainly working well in NZ, we've now got TWO branches - one for each island Party!!!
  • 05-07-2008 7:46 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

of course 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)