in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2008 3:51 PM by tournedos. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2008 1:27 PM

Got a package today

A couple of weeks ago I felt a little stupid after I placed a maximum bid of a round 303,60 euros on a rather vaguely listed Beogram 6500, but I just couldn't pass for the third time the opportunity to have a complete white Beosystem 6500, with all the works. What do you know, I won the d*mn bid at exactly that amount...

Well, today I got the parcel from the post office, and look what was on the tone arm! Smile

Of course, the transport screws weren't tightened, and the chassis has apparently slipped off the suspension, so I'll start enjoying my new Beogram by downloading the service manual. No obvious damage, though. The clear part of the lid is in rather sorry state too, but looks completely polishable. You'll have more pictures once I've fixed this, the white MX6000, and found a place for the white VX5000 in view as well!

-mika

• 05-05-2008 2:04 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Got a package today

Hope you get it fixed soon so you can start to enjoy it.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-05-2008 2:23 PM In reply to

Well, that took all of ten minutes Laughing

The left side of the chassis was indeed off the hook of the leaf spring. Works perfectly now as far as I can see! Now I've been lucky twice with shipped Beograms. Probably I should stop while I'm ahead...

-mika

• 05-05-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Glad to hear it was a nice easy fix.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-05-2008 3:10 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Very nice & well doneWink

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-06-2008 11:40 AM In reply to

If that cartridge is a good'un you got a real bargain!

Regards Graham

• 05-06-2008 2:06 PM In reply to

• benkap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 162
    • Bronze Member

Very nice! I use a BG4500 with my BS6500. Sometimes I think I want to switch to a BG6500 - they both are extremely good looking record players so it is hard to decide wich one I like better.

You are very lucky to get a MMC2 with your BG! I have an MMC1 on my BG and it sounds really good to my ears.

I hope the platter was on the BG6500, though! Wink

Here's a photo of my stereo:

• 05-06-2008 2:56 PM In reply to

benkap:

I hope the platter was on the BG6500, though! Wink

Yes, the platter (and subplatter) were included - packed separately, thank God. It also occured to me why the platter rode so high. Instead of the transport screws in the bottom, the seller had tightened the adjustment screws on the top! Laughing  Otherwise it was packed quite reasonably, so I guess the seller just didn't know.

This was a double surprise, since I almost forgot buying this deck, and at the post office I wondered why my new Beolit 707 would arrive in such a big box... 

Jury is still out on the condition of the cartridge. It does sound a little harsh, but it could be just a dirty stylus. I'll give the deck a clean, lube & adjustment job anyway before actually putting it into use.

Nice looking setup you have there! 

-mika

• 05-06-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

• h1npw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • A cricket ball throw from Trent Bridge
    • Posts 776
    • Founder

Looks very nice!

In my experience most BG6500 have MMC2s - but I might just have been lucky!

How (as in what substances / products) do you intend using for the clear part of the lid ? I've currently got a BG5500 which is in great condition apart from this bit and I'm not sure what to use. Mine is so bad that I think some kind of electric buffer wheel will have to be used or else it will take weeks to do manually!

Cheers

Nigel 

• 05-06-2008 3:51 PM In reply to

h1npw:

How (as in what substances / products) do you intend using for the clear part of the lid ? I've currently got a BG5500 which is in great condition apart from this bit and I'm not sure what to use. Mine is so bad that I think some kind of electric buffer wheel will have to be used or else it will take weeks to do manually!

Haven't really decided yet. I also have the old BG6000 which could use a polish, although it is better than this. The BG4000 people have been discussing Micro-Mesh (google "micro-mesh wet sanding") on the forum, might be worth a try. Another alternative that I've heard of is Novus #1 and #2 polishing compounds (yes, the same people that sell you car windshields).

In any case, I'll be practicing on something else than either of these turntables Smile

If you use an electric buffer, get one that rotates slowly. You don't want to overheat the surface, which is really easy to do.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)