in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-05-2008 8:44 PM by beotex. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2008 1:10 PM

Back to the Future.

I need a little help going back to the future.

I am very reticent to part with 7K (US) for the System 3 as it does not currently support decoding of the modern Blue Ray formats of Dolby True HD, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Yes, it will decode 5.1-7.1, but not in the high def. lossless formats at 192/24.

Sure it might in the future, but B&O being, well, B&O it just may never be a priority, just like SACD or any other high definition format.

The other aspect is, I find little value in the video upscaling for those of us that have high end Blue-Ray players and modern displays. Having seen both images I do not feel I am leaving anything on the table.

What I do have is a BEO Sound 9000 supporting BEO Lab 1’s, in limited space, serving both audio and video needs. As such, I am currently running the audio out from the display, to the tape in on the BEO Sound 9000.

While it is nice to have a first class stereo TV, I desire 5.1 surround at least until the System 3 supports the stated high def formats, or B&O releases a high def. audio only decoder to fill the existing gap in their product line. As this is an Active speaker system that should be a slam dunk.

In re-searching this wonderful site I find that B&O did make an audio only controller called the AV-7000 which sounds like it would do the job. As detailed as this site is I am missing some information. The product write up mentions that the BEO Link 1000 is required, but that review describes it a a remote. The AV-7000 also does not have a center chanel shown as a DIN plug. So here are my questions:

What parts would be needed to acheive 5.1 surround with my current system?

How would the center channel issue of the AV-7000 be resolved.

Could I use my BEO-4 remote to control the AV-7000?

Could I use the current BEO Sound 7-2 as a center chanel, and add surround speakers from the current line up?

How would the BEO Sound 9000 fit in to the system?

Many thanks in advance.

Douglas in L.A.
  • 05-05-2008 1:29 PM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Re: Back to the Future.

I used to have an AV7000 with the BS9000 and it worked OK. I would suggest finding a Beosystem 1 instead, and I think you'll be much happier. I have been seeing them go for around $1500-2000. I upgraded about a year and a half ago and I'm glad I did. I also wasn't willing to spend >$7k for the Beosystem 3 just yet.

If you want to use the AV7000, it should work fine with your speakers and BS9000, though you will need a ML/MCL convertor box between the 9000 and AV7000. The center channel is for passive speakers, and uses the usual two wire speaker lines. You will be able to use the Beo4 with no problems. It also has inputs for different sources, so you can plug your TV audio, DVD, etc and feed it through the AV7000. These inputs have IR control, but most likely, anything newer won't be in the code database.

Hope this helps.

• 05-05-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

Thank you for the response. Following your suggestion I looked at the BEO System 1. From the image, I thought it was the plasma screen, but I sense it is a stand alone box.

From the spec sheet, it handles both audio and video. On the video side it states 1080i, and if memory serves me correctly it does not do 1920 x 1080P nor does it support 24 FPS.

Is there a way to use the audio portion only? If so does it support an active center chanel such as the 7-2? And finally what is needed to connect to the BS9000? 

Cordially,

Douglas in L.A.

• 05-05-2008 8:44 PM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

The BS1 is a big black box that acts as the A/V brain. I don't remember the exact specs, but it doesn't do 1080p. It does a good job processing SD material and 480p/1080i, though.

You can use it for audio only and the BS9000 is connected by just the Masterlink. It will use the active center, and has a Powerlink output for the sub as well. I really like having everything controlled by the Beo4 - TV, DVD, Audio, etc - and it's all controlled by the BS1.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)