in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-04-2008 2:34 AM by beoaus. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2008 3:03 PM

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

Surround sound without B&O tv

To all knowledgeable Beoworlders, please break your minds over this questions:

Since my 'old' avant 100Hz VTR is showing some signs of decay, I keep breaking my head over the question what would be a proper replacement. I would like to go flatpanel, but can not find a product I like and am willing to pay for within the B&O product range.

Therefore I am considering purchasing a non B&O LCD/plasma; for instance a Loewe. The topline Loewe tv's also come with a dolby digital/DTS decoder on board. What I would like to do is connect the following B&O equipment:

- 2xBL1 front speakers

- 1xBL2 subwoofer

- 2xBL4000 rear speakers

- 1xBeosound 9000

I am aware that I will loose masterlink in this setup, but that is an acceptable 'problem'.

Now the questions:

- What would be the proper way to install this setup (how to connect speakers and Beosound 9000)?

- What would be the negative issues with this setup compared to an all B&O setup?

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Bieele 

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 05-01-2008 5:02 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Surround sound without B&O tv

There's no way to get it to work 'The B&O way' with non-B&O kit. You can certainly get it to work - but it'll be very much like using a brand X setup (which you don't want).

I'd say look for a second hand BeoVision 3-32 or Avant DVD - they're amazingly cheap at the moment given what they offer!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-01-2008 5:34 PM In reply to

I should be seeing my local loewe dealer tomorrow. They previously had a B&O dealership and have experience re this. I'll ask him to drop me a note on how this can be done. Since I'm still stuck with the BV 7/32 and 6/26 until I can persuade my wife otherwise I haven't gone down this route yet !

As you say masterlink will be off the menu.

The speakers should work and he supplies appropriate leads to link the loewe TV's to beolabs. These probably are available locally for you.

The lab 2 will be the messiest solution since as well as the normal speaker cable I think they need a 5v supply to trigger the subwoofer. I believe a similar issue can arise with 7-1's and 2's.

Some of the big Loewe LCD's are very good. In addition they have various technologies in their range e.g. blu-ray players that B&O don't provide. Whilst the design and materials may not be quite as nice as B&O they are still well above "normal" high street brands.

• 05-01-2008 7:00 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The problem is the surround sound decoding - which if you want anything decent, will require a seperate decoder. The 5.1 decoders in the B&O TVs are very very good indeed, and will rival some of the most serious A/V receivers from other brands - it's here that things will start to get messy...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-02-2008 2:22 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

@Kenmak: Thanks, looking forward to your dealer's ideas!

@Alex: Are you saying that the Loewe DD/DTS decoders (that can be build into the tv) are no good?

• 05-02-2008 3:51 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Speak to the Loewe installer, if you can get hold of him he would be the one to talk with. They maybe able to solve the problem for you. Here a number of B&O speaker systems ended up with Loewe TV's (and others) and DTS systems especially prior to the release of the BS3.

I say no more.

• 05-03-2008 2:47 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

beoaus:

Speak to the Loewe installer, if you can get hold of him he would be the one to talk with. They maybe able to solve the problem for you. Here a number of B&O speaker systems ended up with Loewe TV's (and others) and DTS systems especially prior to the release of the BS3.

I say no more.

This sounds like you could also tell a lot more about this solution! What are your experiences with the sound quality (see previous remark about the decoder quality).

Thanks!

Bieele 

• 05-03-2008 12:33 PM In reply to

Is a topline Loewe that much cheaper/better then a Beovision ? If you buy [even an entry] Beovision you won't experience those issues you are quoting ....................Hmm btw that's the same reason I'm keeping my BV3 and not buying a flatscreen of any brand for now [the difference is still not worth the investment. imho ofcourse ]
    Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 05-03-2008 2:50 PM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

beologisch:
    Is a topline Loewe that much cheaper/better then a Beovision ? If you buy [even an entry] Beovision you won't experience those issues you are quoting ....................Hmm btw that's the same reason I'm keeping my BV3 and not buying a flatscreen of any brand for now [the difference is still not worth the investment. imho ofcourse ]

I agree that keeping your CRT is the best thing to do as long as it lasts. My concern is that my avant is reaching the end of its life, and buying a 'new' used CRT does not seem the best move (for me). I would like to get the connection options of the current LCD/plasma panels and looking at the Loewe top line lcd's (with build in hard disk recorders, digital tv (C/T) tuners, loads of connections, build in DD/DTS decoders, and quite good looking) at price levels below 5000 euro, I can not see an entry level beovision giving a similar package. I mentioned it before, but I would love to see a B&O LCD tv, screen size aprox 32 inch, good sound and surround sound on board, with good connection options (beamer etc) at around 5000 euro. Currently you end up close to 10,000 euro to get this done (for the BV7-32 which seems to get outdated quality wise).

Bieele 

• 05-04-2008 2:34 AM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Not sure that the internal Loewe DTS kits are what you are after. The kits really are suited to connection to the Loewe sound system.

Stores that sell Loewe also provide other brands and know how to connect to them. Here one store understand's B&O sound systems. ..They started by providing pre-amp and project turntables to those B&O people that find their turn tables fail and can't be fixed.... Someone saw an opportunity to integrate B&O equipment and ended up speaking with crestron in the States.  Though channels they got on to a B&O contact that provided setups based on the US Avant system which had a cinema module and I think AV7000 units...The discussion went further and with the help of a pretty knowledgeable installer they sorted an understanding of B&O and other equipment interconnections. The US store ( I think) had inter connection cables and a few other things that made the process easier.

I looked at doing this for a while as there was no B&O TV that suited me...

Somewhere I have the Avant US and another few manual's which aid in explaining how to connect external DTS or surround sound systems to B&O active speakers. It's not to difficult to extend the process out to other vendors and equipment.

Hope this helps..

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)