in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-02-2008 6:33 AM by lausvi. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-28-2008 1:21 PM

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

A Beogram 1000...

Hello all.
    I was cleaning a basement of a friend's father's office and I found a nice Beogram 1000 with it's original styrox packet. It was buried so deep under other stuff that I think it was hardly used for years. I asked and it was given to me for free! Party!!!

However, there are some small troubles. The mains plug was wrong type so I replaced that. Also the DIN plug was broken so it was replaced by a modern one (I will use this with my Beomaster 901 so I kept the DIN plug). Now, when I tested it the speed selector seems to be needing some cleaning; sometimes it won't spin at 33 rpm - but 45 works fine. Turning the selector around some times usually makes it work. The small speed adjusting knob is jammed - I pulled the speed selector knob out and tried to turn it with pliers but no go.

I noted that this is a belt-driven deck. The belt seems to be quite good. Still, I don't know how to take off the platter. I took off the single-record-holder-thing and the small part around the tip but the platter wont' come off. How should it be taken off? 

Thee cartridge and needle are B&O - however there is no marking of model. I made a quick test-listening and it sounds good.

(I guess this has been asked again and again but I couldn't find it by quick search - better ask than break it).

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 04-28-2008 2:59 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: A Beogram 1000...

I believe you have to drive a pin out which is only accessable from within. Maybe you have to invert the whole unit?
    Don't quote me!!

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-28-2008 3:24 PM In reply to

Lucky you - what a result!

There's two sorts of hub, the later one has a pin like Jandyt says and its well awkward to drive out and worse to get back in. The early one has a screw that you back out (do not completely remove, cos its well fiddly to put back) and is much easier to deal with. Either way though, you're better off leaving the platter in place unless it's sticking in the hub (causes major wow/flutter!) cos removing it really doesn't help much when it comes to changing the belt or doing anything else. You don't mention 78rpm so I guess you have the later type.

The speed changer and adjustment mechanism really likes to gum itself up on this deck after about 40-odd years. The good news is that it doesn't actually wear out - just needs a strip down, clean, and re-lube. The service manual on site will tell you all you need to know about doing that and setting it up right. Cartridge and stylus on these tend to last a very long time.

Cheers, Steve

• 04-28-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

It took three days to verify who the owner was but finally it was solved and he said he won't need it and I was more than happy to collect the Beogram. I guess this is one of those "once in the lifetime" founds!

I didn't mention the 78 rpm mode but yes, it is there so this is the older one. Ok, I shall leave the platter to be. If the belt is changed in some otherway, how is it done from the underside? Can the speed changer mechanism be taken off from the underside? I will take a closer look again tomorrow.

Also there seems to be some trouble with the arm and tracking weight setting. The weight (on the arm with 1-3 scale) has to be set around max to get the stylus to touch the record. I tried to lubricate it but no luck. 

Thanks!

• 04-28-2008 3:57 PM In reply to

Changing the belt is a major hassle on these decks. Luckily the belt is the round type, nice and thick, lasts for years. Allegedly it is possible to change the belt from the underside - I've tried, and failed miserably. Last time I did this I lifted the deck up from the wood surround (remove 4 top crosshead screws and loosen the power and DIN cables first) and got at it from that angle - much easier tho I felt like I was lesser mortal for cheating.

Speed changer mechanism is accessed from underneath. You're a "silver" so you should be able to download the manual on site no prob. You'll need this just to see what goes where. Three nuts off to get the motor loose, and it lifts off with the mechanism attached. (Pull the speed changer knob off first!) After that the work is awkward but easy - needs slightly smaller fingers than mine!

Getting the arm balanced is a once-only job, and not even fiddly. The manual describes how to do it in great detail.

Cheers, Steve
  • 04-29-2008 1:47 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I had already loaded the serive manual but I seem to have skipped the parts I need at first read. Now I had another look and yes: looks easy. The picture made clear how the speed changer mechanism is there and now I know how it should come off. The belt seems to be fine - I was just preparing for the worst! I will give it a new try this evening.

• 04-29-2008 3:12 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Some time it took but here are the results. I took out the speed changer mechanism and cleaned it thoroughly. With some PRF 7-78 (contact cleaner and lubricator) I was able to get the fine-speed-adjust mechanism moving: it was just jammed. Unfortunately the knob's "plug" for it was already cracked (by trying to turn it with force) - it can be still adjusted if you pull of the knob and use pliers! I adjusted it with the stroboscope stripes and decided to leave it as is (knob in place but no fine-adjusting by it). I don't use that adjustment too often, anyway.

The 33/45/78 rpm selector is now working perfectly. Once I had already assembled the whole thing just to note that it was running only in 45 and 78 rpm modes (because of my mistake in assembling the mechanism) but after fixing that there has been no trouble with speeds at all.

I adjusted the arm with some help from this thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/post/31410.aspx     Also as I have a B&O stylus pressure scale (as seen in here: http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1254) I checked and adjusted the pressure to be something around 2 grams - as told.

Then the excaiting moment: testing it with a record! Yes - it works - but only one channel present! Quick check with oscilloscope showed that there was signal in both channels. After resoldering the DIN plug still the same - one channel only when amp connected. Then I got it: the cable itself has a dead-spot and it worked only in certain angles. I will replace the whole cable - it's anyway yellowed and dirty. After taping the cable to a working position (for testing) - finally both channels output and everything works! It sounds quite good indeed. I had only one dusty record and it sounded quite crackling thus. Also I noted some distortion, especially with louder passages - could this indicate worn stylus? I will experiment with the stylus pressures and better records tomorrow.

It took around 6 hours but it was worth it - seeing a living BeoGram is always worth working. :)

• 04-29-2008 3:50 PM In reply to

Oh, that's excellent - way to go! Party!!!

I have a '1000 with exactly the same problem on the fine adjustment knob. If I can ever figure out a way to hold the socket together tight enough I reckon that packing the empty space in the knob with epoxy resin would be ideal and permanent. Also a permanent way to ruin it if the split socket isn't held perfectly together tho.

I had to replace the entire DIN cable too. Soldering a DIN plug is awkward, so I ended up getting a DIN extension lead from Maplins and doing the soldering at the other end of the cable - much easier and the moulded plug is nicer. 

Chances are more likely that the stylus has crud stuck to it than it is worn. I've had a few of this type off eBay and after a clean they all came up looking and sounding like new. Most odd. I vaguely recall reading somewhere tho that B&O used to polish their diamonds more than anyone else to make them last longer, tho I'd hate to be the one to prolong an urban myth.

Cheers, Steve

• 04-30-2008 1:44 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Thanks!

I also thought of different kind of glues but as the knob must remain deattachable it can't be glued. No matter really - the speed is now corrected and I won't need change it too often.

What kind of cable you used for the new DIN cable? I recon it should be some well shielded. I might have that many DIN cables that I could use one for this.... And yes, soldering DIN plugs is horrible!

I will try cleaning the stylus. I have the B&O stylus brush - what else I should do? Can I, for example, take a cotton bud and dip it into isophropylene and then gently touch the stylus with it?

I wonder when this deck has been used last time. It has a old square mains connector that doesn't fit into any modern wall plug. The DIN plug was crashed so it can't have been connected. It was in a basement under several other things with that much dust it can't have been up for years. Gladly it was well packed with it's original styroxs and even the perspex lid was in one piece and scratch-less.

• 04-30-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

The cable I used was just their regular DIN extension lead - plug at one end, socket at the other. I cut the cable to the same length as the original I replaced. I can't remember how well it was shielded now, there wasn't much choice available anyway though. What I got works great - no interference and no grounding problems. I also replaced the mains lead entirely too - I now have one of those nice round low profile molded mains plugs. I observed the original colour coding on the leads anyway, though the original two-pin plug can go in either way round so I don't think it matters.

I wouldn't use a cotton bud - likely to snag the stylus and get tangled. I use a stylus brush dampened slightly in distilled water, that seems to shift the dirt off eventually. I go at the stylus at 45degrees from either side to get at the front and sides of the stylus as well as the regular rear-to-front. Like this "/ \ -" (brushing in the direction away from the cartridge.) The brush I have is quite soft, the cantilever barely moves if at all - best to be gentle.

Cheers, Steve

• 05-01-2008 11:11 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

I have at least three DIN cables so I guess I could use one to make this new cable. Indeed it looks better if it has a moulded plug. Replacing the mains lead could be reasonable too as the original is a bit yellowed.

I had a quick clean with the (B&O) stylus brush and cotton bud dampened to distilled water - I did it very carefully not to break things. It sounds much better now after two cleaning so I believe the stylus was only dirty. Last time I tested there was only a faint distortion on loudest passges - after the next cleaning it should be fine enough!

I have an old Decca's "How to give yourself a stereo check-out" record. It has non-grooved section for testing the anti-skating effect: this BeoGram certainly has no trouble with that! My other turntable, Lenco L-75, always seems to slide to either way over the disc but the BG keeps it dead-steady. This record also has a specific test-signals for distortion (different instruments at three different levels) which I used for testing the BG.

Still some work to go - then it should be ready to heavy use again.

• 05-01-2008 4:42 PM In reply to

Excellent news!

Enjoy.

Cheers, Steve

• 05-02-2008 6:33 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Party!!!

Now I replaced the DIN cable. I had some extra DIN-DIN cables and I used one for this. Now it has more professional-looking moulded plug. (The original cable was white and the new one is black but it doesn't matter to me). I decided to keep the original mains cable as it works and it's not too ugly or yellow.

Also I made some general cleaning and polishing and now it looks indeed very good. It is now installed next to my Beomaster 901 and I am just now listening "The Strauss Family" record at the background. The stylus have been cleaned now few times and now there is no sign of distortion left. It sounds to pick up the dust on the record more sensitively than my other deck, Lenco L-75 but still: most of my records are old and scratchy (as they are bought second-hand). Still the good ones sound very good; both high- and low-ends sound strong and balanced and warm.

I announce this restoration project to be succesfully completed! Yes -  thumbs up To all of you who helped - I and my Beogram thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)