in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-29-2008 3:08 PM by Jandyt. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2008 8:50 AM

BS9000

I lovingly gaze over all my perfect B&O kit, until my eyes fix on my delicious BS9000. I couldn't beleive my eyes when I lifted and lowered them to view all 6 cd's. Horror of horrors, I seem to have had the same cd's on the unit for at least 6 months. Then I sudddenly felt lifted again, I have been listening to netmusic so much I haven't bovvered to change the cd's.

Is this a sign of the times, yes cd's are on their way out, so it seems is the future of multi-cd players.

There's no real point to this thread, and I'll probably not get any replies, but I'm feeling older by the day. My present kit, all bought brand new in the last ten years is soon to become 'vintage' . I actually cringe at upgrading as I will have to move present stuff away, probably my children will be pleased at the hand-downs!

To conclude this rambling post, I just love my B&O stuff.

Brian

• 04-26-2008 9:02 AM In reply to

Re: BS9000

Well, I will give you a reply. I am also in this position and the only person who changes our CD's on teh Beosound 9000 is my wife, because she says "I have not given her a training course yet" on N.Music...

Also, I am at my PC quite a lot as well...

Regards Keith....

• 04-26-2008 9:49 AM In reply to

I have just buy a brand new BS9000, and I´m really happy. I have a big amount of CDs and it is very usefull to me.

I think that BS9000 still has its audience in this digital world  Wink.

Rafa
  • 04-26-2008 11:45 AM In reply to

Hi!

I have just bought a brand new BS9000 as well. From my point of view, this ornamental piece of kit is worth collecting, simply because of its beauty and that no other player gives the same practicality in accessing different tracks on CDs.

• 04-26-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

I have plenty cd's and am always buying more from ebay, great value for money too.

My BS9000  currently has 6 different eels cd's in it,  magic system ,love it.

sandy

• 04-26-2008 12:55 PM In reply to

• demonell
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Cheltenham
    • Posts 44
    • Bronze Member

Fear not, I suspect it will be some considerable time before CD's are obsolete, despite the endless plethora of "alternatives"

• 04-26-2008 1:13 PM In reply to

• dp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

rfc1:

I have plenty cd's and am always buying more from ebay, great value for money too.

My BS9000  currently has 6 different eels cd's in it,  magic system ,love it.

sandy

glad you're enjoying it sandy - hows the car? ; )

• 04-26-2008 1:21 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

The TVR is still sitting excactly where you saw it DP.  Must tax it 1st May for sure!!!

cheers Sandy

• 04-26-2008 1:36 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I know what you mean, I often find myself listening to my AppleTV running through my BeoSystem at the moment - but I still love putting on a CD.

I tend to find I listen more closely when listening to a CD - as opposed to iTunes (Apple TV), especially with my CD7000.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-26-2008 1:44 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

I spend a lot of time listening to music. I only use MP3s for background music. If I actively listen to the music, I use a CD. I think that if I had a BS9000, I would be listening to and looking at the music. It seems to be clear that CDs are on their way out, but I guess they will never completely leave.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-26-2008 3:42 PM In reply to

I think people will crave for the interaction that a 9000 offers once CDs are considered obselete... no beating the elegance & sophistication of a 9000 in action.
  • 04-27-2008 5:22 AM In reply to

I have to say that when I really want to listen to the music a cd in my 9000 cant be beat. the sound quality is better than via itunes. There is something special about the overall visceral experience with a CD.

JR 

• 04-27-2008 10:43 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

I find this thread very interesting.  My listening habits have changed with time, too.  I've been experimenting with using an Apple TV in lieu of a music player (I'm using Apple Lossless and the music is going through the DAC in my BV8 to some BL3s), and I find that I listen to music more than I used to as it's so easily accessible.  I haven't, though, compared this to a CD player going to the BL3s so I don't know how it stacks up in these regards.  I can tell a difference between compressed and non-compressed music, and I look forward to seeing if the presumably better DACs in the BS3 make the BL3s sound better with music encoded in Apple Lossless format when I eventually switch to a BV7.

Also, the comment about the BS9000's elegance and "wow appeal" are things I haven't considered much in my quest to minimize AV equipment, but maybe I'm wrong in these regards and should reconsider my position.  The BS9000 has to be the prettiest, most fascinating CD player ever created.  Every time I visit a B&O store, I'm dumbstruck by it. 

As an ironic aside, there are times that I've actually gone beyond what I've assumed was the ideal digital set-up.  For instance, I've actually I've always thought in terms of having my vehicle very iPod friendly.  However, despite now having my vehicle set-up in such a way, I find that I rarely use my iPod (actually an iPhone) as the satellite radio (Sirius) has so many channels that I always find something interesting on it and the iPhone simply acts as a cell phone.  Go figure.

Mark 

Mark D
  • 04-29-2008 6:08 AM In reply to

My listening habits have changed, too. In the opposite direction most people are going right now, I think : )

A few years ago when all this MP3 craze started I bought an iPod mini ( with a pair of A8s, of course ) and ripped all my CDs into iTunes. MP3 was the way to go and I either listened the music on the mac with some Logitech speakers or on the iPod. This is how it worked for a couple of years. I hardly ever used my old high-end Sony system with custom made speakers at home - I live in a small studio apartment during the week and go home on weekends, where the system is.

Then I got Heybrook 0.5 speakers for christmas two years ago and they replaced the Logitech ones in my apartment. There was an obvious difference ( obviously : ) in sound and that's how it all started. I was listening to the home system more and more and realised how good the speakers are. I started buying more and more CDs and listening to them on the weekend. At the same time I was deleting all the ripped MP3s from iTunes. So then came the BeoCenter 9300 and I almost exclusively listen to music on it now. I love browsing through CDs and no iTunes and no computer can ever beat touching the glass and watching the doors open.

Although it is kind of hard waiting for the weekend, when there's a new CD on the table in the apartment, it's worth it, when I get to listen to it on the BeoCenter. The mac is now only used for background music in the apartment, but that's about to change in a few weeks, as I'm getting a BeoSound 1. Also, the iPod will be replaced in a few days by the BeoSound 2. Quality over quantity, I guess.

• 04-29-2008 3:08 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Be careful Luka. You'll be on vinyl nextYes -  thumbs up

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!