in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2008 5:15 PM by sajpratty. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-21-2008 2:38 PM

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Beogram 1000 stylus

Hi,

I am wondering, does the SP14 would fit onto the ST/L15 pick-up arm?  I thought it would from what I read, but the person I sold it to says it is not heavy enough. 

Pete.

• 04-21-2008 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 1000 stylus

Forget the weight, that's got nothing to do with it.

Bit of a confusing question - SP14 is only the stylus, and its the cartridge that fits onto the arm...

I'll confess I don't know the exact names of the different arms on the Beogram 1000, I'm just aware that the older ones have a curved finger lift, later ones have a straight finger lift, and even later ones have a deeper cartridge socket by about 1mm. Whatever... The SP14 is a later stylus and will need a later cartridge and a later arm. The later cartridge doesn't have a noticeable rim around the base - everything is nice and flush. The later arm will be found on the likes of the Beogram 1001, and the Beogram 1000 that looks like a 1001.

If you try to fit the later cartridge onto an earlier arm, it will go on but there will be an embarrassing 1mm gap between the cartridge and the socket - doesn't stop it working, but it won't look right. If you try to fit an earlier cartridge onto a later arm it'll plug on fine and work fine, but won't be gripped as well (not that it'll matter.)

So... I'd guess the person who bought the stylus thought they were getting a stylus and cartridge

Cheers, Steve

• 04-21-2008 4:51 PM In reply to

• petep
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply Steve. I had sold both the stylus and cartridge, from what they said it fits, but just isn't heavy enough, not sure if it would need adjustment for the different cartridge and stylus.  The arm it's being fitted to is the ST/L15 which I am guessing is the older type.

Pete.

• 04-21-2008 5:15 PM In reply to

Hi Pete,

As far as I know, the cartridge-stylus assemblies all weigh nearasdammit the same and should be swappable without major adjustment. This really lets you off the hook. Smile

I think the SP14 is supposed to track at 2gm, but it will cope with a tad less most of the time. Your customer needs to adjust the balance of the arm - there's a page in the service manual (on this site) that explains in great detail how to set up the height and balance of the arm correctly if you want to point your buyer in the right direction.

Cheers, Steve

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)