in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-03-2008 5:16 PM by MoglesMac. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2008 6:53 AM

Beogram 6500 wiggle

Im a proud owner of a Beogram 6500 wich work 100% and sounds very good with its MMC2 stylus. 

However i have started to notice that the platter and pickup-unit is "wiggling" sideways while under transport of pickup-unit. As soon the pick-up is lowering for playing och its standing still while "manual searching" everything is dead calm. But when transporting the pick-up unit from end of record makes the platter and pickup-unit wiggle hard even so you can hear a clicking noice that its bumping against somthing hard (prob platter against edge of aluminium top). No strange movments what so ever while playing record.

Any idea what it can be? I had a Beogram 5500 prior to this and didnt notice that behaviour on that.

Cheers

Jesper L

Sweden

• 04-21-2008 5:38 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 6500 wiggle

Due to the way the suspension is constructed, it will always move a little while the carriage is transported in or out but it shouldn't bang against something. I suggest you lift off the platter and check that the suspension, leaf springs etc. is all mounted and working correctly. Check also the height of the platter when mounted, apprx 1mm above the surrounding aluminum surface should be fine, and that it's not tilted as this would suggest a suspension problem. 

Martin

• 04-21-2008 5:22 PM In reply to

Hi,

Thanx for the tip, I think my platter is abit higher then 1mm all around but i cant see any "tilting" but i will look closer as soon I get a chance. The "banging" noice isnt that big, but you can hear that it seems to move so much in sideways motion that it "knocks" on something.

Regards

MoglesMac

Sweden

• 04-21-2008 5:57 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Maybe the steel bars where the carriage rides are in need of lubrication. Silicone grease will be fine here. The old lubricants will usually wipe off with a soft cloth.

Martin

• 04-21-2008 10:24 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Jesper, Martin is the man to help you here.  But I'm curious, when you say "banging" do you mean there's a banging sound when you carry the turntable around, or when the turntable is playing and the pickup is moving across the record?

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-22-2008 6:08 AM In reply to

Hi,

I think Martin might be on to something :D I think the pickup-unit is abit too "hard to move", i will definetly try with new lubrication.

Austin, the only time the "banging" noise comes (wich really is more of a tick-tick-tick noise) is when i play a record and the pickup is "fast moving" either to the start of record or at the end of the record while moving back. While playing no strange movement what-so-ever. Same goes for if is manual scan over the record and stop the pickup it stops moving sideways (platter + pickup) and as soon i start move the pickup the moving comes, slowly at first then "accelerate" til it start knocking against something inside (the tick-tick-tick sound).

Thanx for all the tips

Jesper L

Sweden 

• 04-25-2008 6:28 AM In reply to

Hello,

I have decided to try to lubricate the "rail" and take a closer look on the "settings-screws" for hight and position of the platter. I have to have physical help for that tho so it will prob take abit time before the "dig-in". However just wanted to check if this siliconlubrication would do?

Silikonfett M494 

Thanx for the help

Jesper L

Sweden

• 04-25-2008 8:07 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The silicone grease, you link to, looks fine. I can't feel the consistence through the screen of course but I think it's very similar to what was originally used.

You will only need a small amount.

There are two rails to lubricate.

Martin

• 05-03-2008 12:01 PM In reply to

Success, or at least a partly one, since i have now greased the two rails with siliconefat and the "jiggle" is very much less now, eventho its still abit too much for my taste... but its much better now and i guess there are other parts that probobly need lubrication too so i might let in for a spin at B&O service later....

While on subject on Beograms, I have a Beogram 7000 where the nylonthread that drags the pickup-unit is broken and the small plastic hook that it rests in is also broken (gone). Since i think changing the "bottompart" of pickup-unit (where the hook is and the line is attatched too) will be terror to change, IS there possible to just "lift" the floating part from my Beogram 6500 and install it into the Beogram 7000? (floating part is where pickup and platter rests on with springs). I have the rest of my units as B&O 7000 and was hoping to get it totaly complete with a Beogram 7000 but its very broken as i said before. 

Cheers for all the help :D

Jesper L

Sweden 

• 05-03-2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Put in a tiny screw from below with a nut above and mount the string and spring to it. I've done that a couple of times and it's a very durable solution. The alternative is to replace the whole arm carriage. It can be done but parts are getting scarce.

Martin

• 05-03-2008 5:16 PM In reply to

Oh! hehe it was even better then my solution, i took an old paperclip and bended it so i could re-attatch the string. It worked lovely with the top up but when i closed the top something got stuck and i wasnt able to move the pickup from "start-position" (my paperclip wich i was abit affraid wouldnt take the force did a smashing job and never broke hehe) so i had to cut the string in order to be able to open the top again. So now my old string is cut and i think there is something more wrong with the gears that control the pickup-movment since something got stuck. So my plan right now is maybe to let B&O service look at it and if they "declare" it dead, maybe i would talk them into try lift parts from my Beogram 6500.... but it would be nice to have both running :D

Thanx for all the help

Jesper L

Sweden

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)