in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-28-2007 4:39 PM by berlin2010. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2007 2:54 PM

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

A powerlink to RCA adapter? (connecting Ouverture to non-B&O amp)

Hi

I am toying with the idea to connect an Ouverture to my Rega amp and B&W passive speakers. I like the sound of the speakers, and would like the convenience of using a beolink 1000 to operate CD and radio. For this I would need a powerlink to RCA adapter. Does that exist? Is it available via the dealers? Is there anything in particular to look for when buying a used Beosound Ouverture?

thanks and best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 05-05-2007 5:40 PM In reply to

Re: A powerlink to RCA adapter? (connecting Ouverture to non-B&O amp)

Is it a power amp or an integrated one? If it is an integrate amplifier, I would use the Aux out of the Ouverture to the tape socket of the rega. You will need a 5 pin DIN to RCA lead which is easily available. If it is a power amplifier, use a Powerlink cable which has variable line level. I think you can get a cable from your dealer or he will make one for you. You could use a MCL2P of course!
  • 05-06-2007 10:22 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

What a beauty!

I just collected a 1995 ouverture from someone in my neighbourhood. It works beautifully, and is connected via the audio aux port to my rega integrated amp and B&W P5 speakers. Tomorrow I’ll start the hunt for a powerlink to RCA adapter so I can control the volume by remote control.

By the way, I think the ouverture was a bargain. Only £400 with original receipt, manuals and wall bracket.

Once again, thanks for the advice Peter.

best regards

Christian

• 05-06-2007 10:59 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

ChrDH:

What a beauty!

I just collected a 1995 ouverture from someone in my neighbourhood. It works beautifully, and is connected via the audio aux port to my rega integrated amp and B&W P5 speakers. Tomorrow I’ll start the hunt for a powerlink to RCA adapter so I can control the volume by remote control.

By the way, I think the ouverture was a bargain. Only £400 with original receipt, manuals and wall bracket.

Once again, thanks for the advice Peter.

best regards

Christian

EnjoyWink

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-06-2007 11:57 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

I will! actually, this day was set off for home work/reading, but when an ouverture comes by, I think I can do home work some other day...Wink

By the way, does anyone know where I can get hold of a Powerlink to RCA adapter? I tried a local B&O dealer, but he just showed me a DIN to RCA converter...

best regards

Chr.

• 05-06-2007 1:44 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If you have a Powerlink cable lying around, I would make one myself.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-07-2007 9:47 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

After an hour at the B&O dealer, I still haven't got a powerlink to RCA converter... Aparently I have to make/solder one myself... hmm, not my favorite task. As far as I can se, I can use a normal DIN plug/cable, and then just remember to get the right connections to the two RCA plugs. Does anyone got any experience in making such a adapter? anything I have to be carefull about, besides mixing up cables?

best regards

Chr.

• 05-07-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just had a look at the wiring diagrams for Powerlink and Auxlink connections. My advice would be to get a Din to RCA converter and change the wiring in the din plug to suit.

CraigBig Smile 

• 05-07-2007 12:07 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Yes, that would probably be easier than fiddling with the wires in a RCA plug, good point.

For now, I am using the head phone socket on the front (mini-jack to RCA converter). I can't hear that much of a difference compared to the audio aux socket, and I can control the volumen.

thanks for the advice

Chr.

• 05-07-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Would there be a market for these leads I wonder. Might make a few and put them on Ebay.

CraigBig Smile 

• 05-07-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

EUREKA!!!

After looking closely at the configuration of the datalink plug and the powelink plug and dismantling a datalink plug, I found out the in-signal (right, left) of the DIN-plug corresponds to the out-signals (right, left) of the Powerlink-plug! (Why didn’t the nice dealer just say so…).

So using a fully-specified RCA to DIN converter, just use the line-in RCA sockets as RCA line-out from the Powerlink-socket of the Ouverture! Dead easy, one just has to come up with the idea!

And after running my Denon test-CD, even the channels are correct!

Problem solved, I can now start enjoying my Ouverture fully!

Best regards

Chr.

• 05-07-2007 12:45 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Forget my Ebay idea then. So its just a standard cable then.

CraigBig Smile 

• 05-07-2007 12:48 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Yep, just used the completely other way around than originally designed to...Big Smile

Chr.

• 06-28-2007 4:09 PM In reply to

• berlin2010
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2007
    • Johannesburg, SA
    • Posts 8
    • Gold Member

Noticed this post and Peter's reference to the MCL2P earlier and wondered if this could work for using a Beosound 9000 with a pair of B&W 804's I have? I'm currently using the 9000 with a set of Beolab 6000's, but I'd like to use those for the rear channel on my BV7. I have an old MCL2P - can I use this with the 9000? Will it have enough power for the B&W?
  • 06-28-2007 4:19 PM In reply to

Hi Peter, I disagree just a tad... I'd use the Powerlink (variable out) in any case to a aux. or tape in. Just use the Integrated amp like a regular power amp...that way all the volume is controlled off the BnO......correct??

• 06-28-2007 4:32 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Unfortunately not! The 804s are very power hungry and you'll want something with considerably more driving power.

They're very musical speakers and when you match them with a good amplifier, the music just seems to jump out at you. I could recommend either a Naim NAP 200 for a top-budget amp, a Rotel RB-06 for something a bit more affordable or if you want to go the B&O way, a BeoMaster 8000, 7000 or 6500 should do a fantastic job. I have a pair of B&W DM7s which are in many ways comparable to the 804s, they sound fantastic with my BeoMaster 6500!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-28-2007 4:39 PM In reply to

• berlin2010
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-20-2007
    • Johannesburg, SA
    • Posts 8
    • Gold Member

Thanks Alex, I was expecting this - they are quite power hungry... but then they do sound pretty good with the right equipment. I'll have a look at your suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)