in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-07-2008 9:52 PM by Piaf. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-20-2008 4:56 AM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Dead Beogram 4000

This evening I was playing my Beogram 4000 and noticed that the 4000 occasionally skipped a groove. (I assumed that the record needed cleaning.) However as the 4000 continued to play the record, the missed grooves increased…. one after the other.

I also notice that the sound quality was not especially good…. something quite out of character for this 4000. Not terrible, but not the stellar reproduction I have been accustomed to.

Then without notice, the turntable just stopped, dead…. mid-play.

I am beyond upset and looking for clues as to what has happened.

Jeff

• 04-20-2008 6:28 AM In reply to

Re: Dead Beogram 4000

Oh Dear

Jeff,,have you contacted Frede, he may give you some pointers on what that could be, sorry to hear that your BG4000 has developed this problem, keep me posted

Kev

• 04-20-2008 9:39 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Kev, “Oh dear” is about right. Another word came to mind, but that is not for print.

I looked for anything obviously amiss and didn’t find anything.

So I took the aluminium control panels off and sanded the four contacts on both sides, then bent them slightly to reduce the travel before a connection is made. This should help with the fast forward and fast reverse problem.

I also straightened out the arm drive shaft that was slightly bent. Thanks Derek for the easy fix suggestion. It worked beautifully.

I then located the fuses and as expected one was REALLY blown. I didn’t expect that the fuse box case would be broken, but a little super-glue and that is also repaired. Oh this Beogram 4000 has had a TOUGH life!

I spend the better part of the afternoon in search of the fuse, with no luck. As such, I have no idea where I am with this problem.

The BIG question is why did the fuse blow in the first place? Anyone have any ideas?

The Beogram gave little hint that anything was greatly wrong other than skipping tracks, which I took for a needed adjustment. Then there was the sound that wasn’t quit right, but not truly distorted, just off a bit. Normally the sound quality is extraordinary.

Then the Beogram just stopped…. with the blown fuse as the immediate case.

Would failing caps cause this sort of issue and if not, what? Or could I just have an old fuse that packed it in? The previous owner spend nearly $400 replacing all the caps, so I rather doubt that is the problem, but you never know.

A lot of questions and I hope that someone has some ideas.

Jeff
  • 04-21-2008 10:39 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

OK, I have a problem.

With everything properly lubed and the arm driveshaft straighten properly, I replaced the blown fuse and the Beogram 4000 sprang to life, the arm went to the play position, started to drop, and then began moving to the right without lifting.

Then all went dead.

The same fuse blew again, the right side fuse. (The left is unaffected.)

I am assuming that whatever the problem is exceeds my diagnostic abilities so I am looking for some guidance. That is polite for HELP!

Thanks.

Jeff

• 05-07-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

Hi there Jeff

Did you get any further forward with your BG 4000?

Cheers

Kev

• 05-07-2008 9:52 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Kev,

I will write in detail about the 4000 on the thread to Martin, made progress, but not anything like a solution. Thank you for asking!

It is not a motherboard problem, but rather an electro-mechanical problem. Yuk.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)