in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-21-2008 3:56 AM by magnushj. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-19-2008 5:19 PM

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Beolab Penta 2 input

Dear All, i^m new in this field and have a probably quite simple question: I've bought penta 2 active speakers and i would like to connect them to a beomaster 5500. What options do i have? If I'am not interested in the penta-display, can i just use a 2-pole cable from the beomaster to the penta's? Which line out of the beomaster will i have to use then (pre amp?, 2 of the speakerlink out poles?, line out chinch?) and where will I have to put them in into the pentas? line in? Din-entrys speakerlink? Thanks for your assistance!best regards, your 008
  • 04-19-2008 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab Penta 2 input

In your case, the best way will be using Speakerlink cables as these will allow the displays to work. However you can just use two pin DIN speaker leads if you want. These go from the speaker output of the 5500 to the Speakerlink sockets on the Penta.
  • 04-20-2008 3:31 PM In reply to

• Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-19-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Dear Peter, dear ALLmany thanks for your fast reply! - An answer often brings up more questions :-)... maybe you Peter, or anyone else in this marvellous forum can easily answer them: 1. Isn^t there in the speakerlink any other information transfered to the power amp aside the 2 DIN-wires - i.e. are all other wires in the Speakerlink cable just for the display? 2. As far as I know, there is a general rule:  the bigger the cable, the less resistance and the better the transport of the information towards the speakers...- I'm amazed how thin all these Bang and Olufsen cable are compared to what any Hifi shop will try to sell you. Question: why are they so thin?? Would it not be better to use my silver wires with to male DIN poles to connect the beomaster 5500 to the pentas?3. If I will use the ordinary amplified speaker out (DIN / speakerlink respsctively) from the beomaster 5500, what will be the "active function" of the pentas (boosting from 55W to 150W ?) - should one not use the pre-amp exit of the beomaster (Chinch / RCA jack??). 4. Following question 3: How do the active pentas regulate their ourpur level? Does it simply depend on the input level? Who does it then adapt to the various amplifyers that might be connected to it?Many thanks for any advice or supprt! - It is a really great webpage!David
    Filed under: , ,
  • 04-21-2008 3:56 AM In reply to

• magnushj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Trondheim, Norway
    • Posts 139
    • Silver Member

The penta speakerlink input will take the amplified signal from the beomaster down to linelevel again and then use its own amplifier to take the signal back up. I wouldn't care too much about the thickness of the cable. The cables inside the speaker aren't much thicker. ;) Just don't place the mains cord alongside the speaker cable.
    Beocenter 9500+Beolab Penta mk2+Avant+MX7000+Beosound Ouverture+1xBeolab 6000 :)
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)