in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2008 2:14 AM by Zelbinion. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2008 8:43 AM

Headphone & Airport Express!

This may be old hat to you, but strangely I first thought of it the other day.

Why not plug a headphone straight into the Airport Express?
    I have a nice terrace that I like  being on, and it's equipped with proper electrical sockets.
    And I got a flash of inspiration I should have had a long time ago - I can plug an Airport Express into the socket, and then plug a set of headphones into the AE. I have an iPod Touch equipped with Remote Buddy, and can therefore control what's playing and the volume with that, while enjoying a new found mobility to my music.

Surprise - it works perfectly. I now have access to my entire music library, through the Touch, and through an Airport express out on the terrace.

• 04-28-2008 4:25 PM In reply to

Re: Headphone & Airport Express!

This works without a headphone amp? 
  • 04-28-2008 5:00 PM In reply to

Yes, depending upon the sensitivity of your phones, but with my Sennheiser's it's no problem. I control the volume using the iPod Touch or computer that's sending the sound to the AE. And if you connect a headphone amp you get more control, of course, but then the portability is compromised.

• 04-29-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Or... you could copy the music you want to hear on to your iPod Touch and plug your headphones into that... then, you do not even need an outlet!!!

Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

• 04-29-2008 3:27 PM In reply to

Big Smile

I'll have to look for a 1 terabyte iPod, then ... that's how much music I've got on the server.  

• 05-06-2008 4:25 AM In reply to

Nice solution, I would have thought that the jack on the AE would have been a bit underpowered. Does the fact that it's streaming over a wireless network affect the quality at all?
  • 05-06-2008 12:51 PM In reply to

Volume is quite satisfactory with my Sennheiser headphones - worth trying out.

• 05-08-2008 10:58 AM In reply to

Well, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s. Pretty good headphones, nice, clear and balanced sound. The only thing is that my iMac (Early 2006) has a really underpowered headphone jack. The sound is really tinny, and I need to pump it up by plugging it into my amp and going through that. I have the same issue with my iPod, although there's no way to get around this.
  • 05-08-2008 3:18 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Zelbinion:
    Well, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s. Pretty good headphones, nice, clear and balanced sound. The only thing is that my iMac (Early 2006) has a really underpowered headphone jack. The sound is really tinny, and I need to pump it up by plugging it into my amp and going through that. I have the same issue with my iPod, although there's no way to get around this.

You can actually get portable headphone amplifiers designed to improve the output of an iPod etc...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-09-2008 2:14 AM In reply to

Having dongles hanging off your iPod kind of defeats the purpose of a portable music player, though.

Would it really significantly lower the battery life to channel a bit more power to headphones?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)