in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-20-2008 3:30 PM by solderon29. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2008 6:24 AM

Random turning off and on

I have a system based around an Avant TV, with Beosound 3000, beolab 3500 and DVD controller to Panasonic DVD.  There is also a sky+ box attached.  Recently the TV has started to randomly turn itself on and off.  It has been back to shop but they can find nothing wrong and the replacement TV has started to turn the radio on during the night.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Have taken all remote controls out of the room and it still happens.  Beginning to suspect little green men!!!
  • 04-17-2008 9:18 AM In reply to

Re: Random turning off and on

I've heard about low energy lights emitting signals that can cause this sort of thing to happen, but that wouldn't explain it happening in the middle of the night.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 04-17-2008 11:05 AM In reply to

Hi:

I too have heard of that. However, I think this was only when the low energy bulbs were first made.

However, according to different threads, the issue is still prevelant but this does not explain why it does it when the lights are off. Unless there is residual energy which is discharging and causing it to happen.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=21103718

• 04-17-2008 12:17 PM In reply to

There may be a "ground loop" in the system if you have a Sky box connected,and a signal distribution unit for the other rooms!

You can fit isolaters to the signal connectors,or ground the Sky box by running a new wire from the metalwork of the box to the earth pin in the mains plug.

I've noticed that B&O installers tend to do this,so it suggests there can be a problem sometimes.

Regards,

Nick

• 04-17-2008 1:40 PM In reply to

Thanks for that.  Will try and see.  I don't think its the light bulbs because it happens at night as well when everything is turned off.  Will look into the grounding and see how that works.
  • 04-20-2008 2:51 PM In reply to

This problem doesn't seem to be associated with the sky system because I turned it off and the same problem still happened.
  • 04-20-2008 3:30 PM In reply to

If the problem is due to a ground loop,via the Sky box,you will need to ground the box,or disconnect it from the tv to prove the point.

The loop occurs due to the aerial,ml(if fitted?)and scart connections being all common grounds,but not grounded!!

The easiest way to eliminate the possibilty of a loop,is to ground the Sky box.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)