in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-18-2008 6:32 AM by mhw. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-17-2008 5:14 AM

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

Is draft N fast enough for VIDEO_TS playback?

Gentlemen.....I have an iMac 24" that connects through N wireless to an airport N hub ~15m away (no walls - free line of sight)

The router connects through a LAN to my server (Vista 64bit) - where i host all my VIDEO_TS files.

When i run the DVD player on the iMac, playing file from server, the playback is terrible.... sound jumps every 0.5sec and image doesn't refresh....if i connect the iMac with ethernet to same router i'm not having any problems.....

Shouldn't n protocol be able to stream DVD quality?

I have mapped the NAS as a network drive - SMB - direct IP address - and this works well...

I can stream mpg files in reasonable quality but not pure VIDEO_TS files....Is n protocol not fast enough? or is there something wrong with my wireless network set-up?  I run WPA2 security....and my iMac shows full signal strength to router

Cheers
    Klas

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 04-17-2008 5:37 AM In reply to

• magnushj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Trondheim, Norway
    • Posts 139
    • Silver Member

Re: Is draft N fast enough for VIDEO_TS playback?

I've had the same problem. Draft N is more than enough, but frontrow and quicktime doesn't like network streaming. Try XBMC for OSX instead of front row (www.osxbmc.com). I've even been streaming 1080p HD-video over standard 54mbit wireless without lag. XBMC is great! A bit ugly in its original skin, but an apple tv-lookalike skin is available.
    Beocenter 9500+Beolab Penta mk2+Avant+MX7000+Beosound Ouverture+1xBeolab 6000 :)
  • 04-17-2008 1:55 PM In reply to

I would also like to add that I have had several problems with transfer speed consistency using 54mbit and WPA and WPA2, which has been much faster and more stable using no encryption and WEP. I have tried various routers and wireless laptops - all with similar result.

I have gone back to the cable jungle and have a 1gbit in place instead - much better. 

• 04-17-2008 2:30 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Wireless networking isn't reliable enough to rely on it for really high bandwidth stuff - especially when used over long distances.

I've wired my AppleTV in via Cat6e and it's a vast improvement over connecting to the wireless hub, which is actually in the same room. My laptop (where the content is streamed from) is sitting on my desk at the other end of the room less than a metre from the wireless hub, and it seems to work fine at that distance...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-18-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• mhw
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-29-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 207
    • Gold Member

chrisped:

I would also like to add that I have had several problems with transfer speed consistency using 54mbit and WPA and WPA2, which has been much faster and more stable using no encryption and WEP. I have tried various routers and wireless laptops - all with similar result.

I have gone back to the cable jungle and have a 1gbit in place instead - much better. 

Just don't use WEP on 802.11n equipment - It will seriously slow you down, use WPA2!

As for the problem; wireless isn't particular good for streaming, but try and change the channel...  Are there many other WLANs on the same channel as you?
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)