in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2008 8:51 PM by jk1002. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-14-2008 5:20 AM

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

BV-8 / Apple TV experience and a few questions for the group

OK, it's now been about a month that I've had the BV-8.  Until last night, I'd only had the Apple TV hooked to the BV-8 via HDMI and I was very happy with the results.  I routinely get to see flat panel TVs, and despite some misgivings by others on this forum regarding the BV-8's "PQ", I'm happy to report that at least from my perspective, the TV has great PQ.  Likewise, I found the Apple TV to be a very adequate sole media input (I have many of my DVDs and CDs imported in to iTunes).  I love how the Apple TV seamlessly combines the music and video libraries from various computers and then incorporates internet accessed media, too.  It's a truly phenomenal device, and I can't say enough good things about the Apple TV.  My only desire is for more video content (which I believe has more to do with the studios and their reluctance to relinquish too much power to Apple) from the Apple iTunes store.  Incidentally, I've found the DAC to be plenty adequate in the BV-8 to play "lossless" encoded music on my BL-3s that are attached to the BV-8.

Last night, I added my cable STB (a Motorola HD DVR) to the AV2 input.  As I live in the US, this involved getting a Scart to RCA adapter for the R and L audio and then component cables for the picture.  I'm very happy with the PQ from this combo, too.  My primary issue with HD cable here in the US is the lack of media / channels available.

However, I've encountered a few snags in my AV "set-up" and I wanted some advice from the group.

-the Beo 4 does a great job of controlling the Apple TV via the IR blaster incorporated in to the BV-8.  However (as has been mentioned by others), it won't shut the Apple TV off like the small Apple TV remote can.  Has anyone found a way around this or am I simply bound to wait for the next software upgrade?

-the cable STB also doesn't shut off when I hit the red "power down" button on the Beo 4.  I've found a way around this by designating the AV2 source (i.e. the STB) to automatically go in to standby in 0 minutes, and then switching to the AV1 source.  This shuts off the STB, but it doesn't always turn back on when I hit the "TV" button.  This work-around solution, though, doesn't work for the Apple TV and despite my best efforts at tricking it, the little white light on the Apple TV remains on.  Any advice about how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated as I hate to think that the little hard drive in the Apple TV constantly spinning.

-lastly, is there any way around the TV's defaulting to "Speaker 3"?  In general, I feel the TV's speakers sufficiently adequate for use with the Apple TV ("DTV" button on Beo 4 and under AV1) and cable STB ("TV" button on Beo 4 and under AV2).  I only have two BL-3s attached to the TV so no "surround set-up is involved.  I'd like the TV to default to "Speaker 1" when I hit DTV or TV on the Beo 4.  The only time I lke to set it to "Speaker 2" is when I'm streaming music to my AV set-up. 

Any insights / advice from the group - particularly JK1002, Soundproof, Alex, etc. would be greatly appreciated as I hate to think that I'm continually spinning the little hard drive in the Apple TV.

Mark 

Mark D
  • 04-14-2008 6:25 AM In reply to

Re: BV-8 / Apple TV experience and a few questions for the group

I think the Apple TV is meant to be an always-on device. This is because it should be accessible without having the user experience to start up a media center before being able to see stuff.
  • 04-14-2008 7:59 AM In reply to

Hello,

which setup has to be done, to take the control on Apple TV via Beo 4 ? 

Do we have to choose "Apple TV" from menu's list ? 

Regards,

rotel 

• 04-14-2008 8:24 AM In reply to

• BeoNut1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-19-2007
    • Mobile, AL (USA)
    • Posts 226
    • Bronze Member

Keanone,

I partially agree; the Apple TV does seem to always be somewhat "on" in that even when the little light on the front of the TV is off the unit can still synch with a computer.  However, I sure would like to be able to extinguish that light as the unit gets less hot with the light off and I suspect that the hard drive is less active.

Rotel,

I have my cable STB put under "TV" on the Beo 4 and the Apple TV under "DTV" on the Beo 4.  So, no lists to peruse, just primary buttons on the front of the remote. 

Mark D
  • 04-14-2008 10:05 AM In reply to

I'm not sure about the AppleTV, though I, too, thought it was an "always on" device. 

As for some insight into the STB not being shut off, if the BeoVision 8 is anything like the BeoSystem 3, peripheral devices cannot be shut off unless a standard composite video cable (the yellow one) is connected. On the BeoSystem 3, only this socket is line sensing and so the BeoSystem 3 will not send out an on/off command (which is usually a toggle and not a discreet on and off) unless it is certain it will not take the device out of synch (i.e., out of habit you turn off the cable box while the BeoSystem 3's signal turns it back on without you noticing. When you go to turn it back on it will send another on/off signal and turn it off just as your screen is coming on). I'll check this out myself and post again if I get more concrete info, but I know that this is how the BeoSystem 3 works.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 04-14-2008 11:53 AM In reply to

The heat comes as the processor is working. I do believe the HD shuts down. If you put your hand onto it and start a movie you should be able to feel it. I will try that tonight on mine.

If you don't like that it goes into Speaker 3, I would just jack up the volume of the master as a workaround. I don't think you can default it to speaker 1.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 04-14-2008 2:02 PM In reply to

BeoNut1:

Rotel,

I have my cable STB put under "TV" on the Beo 4 and the Apple TV under "DTV" on the Beo 4.  So, no lists to peruse, just primary buttons on the front of the remote. 

Is it possible for me having a BV7-32 MkII to control my appletv with my Beo4 aswell. If yes, how do i get it to work? 

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 04-14-2008 8:51 PM In reply to

The A TV control is a bit shaky. Some had success with the BV7 40" MK3, depends on the software version and sometimes even how it was updated.

At least, you would have to get your software updated. For my BV8 I checked with beocare through the official website and they confirmed with the product manager which took a bit. By the time they came back I had it running.

Even if today it won't work, I would check in a few month again.

Cheers 

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)