in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2008 6:40 AM by wirralsimon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2008 1:38 PM

• gpgab97
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • croydon, pa
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

beovox s60's

I own a pair of these great units and i would like to refurbish them,with a twist. is there a current production seas driver replacement that can match or surpass my 1977 units? I do not understand crossovers and such and i would like the replacements to compliment the stock set up. I was eyeballing a pair of seas H1305-08 CA26RFX . Any suggestions? Oh, and if any one would like the originals (which are in good shape but have some fading due to sunlight) let me know.
    Listen to the difference.
    Filed under: , ,
  • 04-12-2008 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: beovox s60's

What are you looking to accomplish via the upgrade? The seakers were designed with the original woofers in mind so replacing them with 'superior' ones might not improve the sound quality.

You may get more value out of replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers.

Simon 

• 04-13-2008 3:59 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Has the woofers faded due to sunlight ? It's very common to see lighter and darker areas on the cone - it has been like that since new.

Those original SEAS (in some Beovox S60 VIFA) woofers are practically impossible to match with modern day drivers. Original drivers are generally sought after and no doubt the best for the speakers. Remember they were not off-the-shelf ones but actually designed to B&O's specs and if any changes would have made the woofers a better fit for the speakers, it would have been done already. Yes, you can buy woofers that are more up-to-date but on which specs will they be better ?

Anyway, if you replace the woofers with a different type, you have to change the crossovers and possibly other drivers to match the change.

If you decide to sell them I'm sure there will be many takers. They don't make them like this anymore.

Martin

• 04-13-2008 10:20 PM In reply to

• gpgab97
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • croydon, pa
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Thank you for the email. I think i better understand where you guys are coming from. I guess i can refurbish the crossovers and keep a good thing the way it is. Where are the crossover capacitor replacements here in the states? Any good vendors come to mind?
    Listen to the difference.
  • 04-14-2008 6:40 AM In reply to

A PM to Martin (Dillen) would be a good place to start!

Simon

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)