in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2008 11:14 AM by Ehlerz. 49 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-05-2007 6:16 PM In reply to

Re: BL5 or BL9 ? That's the question.

Peter:

There is actually another very good reason to go for the 4 Beolab 5s if you can afford it. If you have a Beosystem 3 (either in a BV9 or driving a different screen) and you also plan to have a projector either now or at a later stage, it may well be that the layout of your room will be best suited to the plasma screen and the projector screen being set at right angles in the room on different walls. With the BS3, one has the ability to set up the room so that depending on the screen, the system sets up the speakers as front , back, left and right in the correct orientation for each screen without you messing about. To do this however, one requires the speakers to be the same.

Having seen a projector in action today, this is not a small point!  

Yup. That was the garden "inspiration" I mentioned above - was pushing the lawn mover about and thought that if you used the BeoSys3 to pan the soundstage, you'd want identical speakers all around. Your dealer will be pleased!

• 05-23-2007 9:14 AM In reply to

Geez. So many advices.

Last weekend i went to hear bl5 (front) with bl3 (rear) and like i imagined it was just amazing, clear sound, geez... i just closed my eyes and... i got speachless.

Now i intend to do the same with bl9.

But another question, some people say that using bl5s i don't need a bl2 is this right ? I sensed that the config with a bl2 gave an extra bass boost.

What is your opinion regarding this matter ?

TIA. 

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-23-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

You definitely do not need a BL2 with Beolab 5s. If anything, it will degrade the sound. With Beolab 9s, one could argue that it is necessary.
  • 05-23-2007 9:54 AM In reply to

Thanks Peter for your kick reply.

I've tested with / without bl2 and the dealer started to talk about that question, with bl2. So the doubt came across my mind and after reading some info about the subject i don't see why he told me that i'd rather use the bl2.

I guess some persons just aren't that well informed about the specs and the "stages" that a specific product could acomplish.

I say, i'm definitely in love with the bl5s, but tell me one thing Peter, is the bl3s the perfect match to be used as rear loudspeakers ?

What do you say ?

TIA.

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-23-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

have you heard a setup with 4 BL5 yet?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-23-2007 10:09 AM In reply to

tom:

have you heard a setup with 4 BL5 yet?

Not yet, i'm working on that m8. 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-23-2007 10:21 AM In reply to

I have (extensively) heard 4xBL5; 2xBL5 + 2xBL3; 2xBL5 + 2xBL6000; and 2xBL5 + 2xBL3 side + 2xBL3 rears.

Under no circumstance would I recommend using a BL2 together with BL5s. You might as well stuff a bedsheet under each BL5. The BL2 muddles up the bass compared to the precision of the much more powerful bass drivers and amp's in the BL5s - the 2 just clutters things up, does not add power or dynamic. What some are hearing as an enhancement is just coca-cola in your wine.

BL3 rears are a good match, though not absolutely necessary given the spec's of the signal being sent to side and rear speakers in a surround setup.
    David Moulton swears by a 4xBL5 setup (I actually think he has 5, with a BL5 centre) -- but then he's also a multi-channel music composer.

I had a wonderful demo of BeoVision 9 with two BL5 front and two BL6000 rear speakers. In my own home theatre I plan to use BL6000s as side and rear speakers, mounted up on the wall and lying horizontally, with the "bottom" of the speakers pointing into the rear corners. BL5 front speakers and BL7-4 center.

In my opinion using BL3 to the sides and rear is overkill, but it does look good and compact.

• 05-23-2007 1:18 PM In reply to

Dimensions aside i think it would be best to have the Beolab 5's in front & at the back as this would give you the best for movie and music. If space is an issue then i would consider getting beolab 5 for front still but save space by having 4 beolab 3's for the back. 

Have you thought of upgrading your centre speaker to a 7.4 instead of a 7.2 as the 7.4 provides an acoustic lense which will boost clarity of voices etc. 

TG
  • 05-23-2007 2:06 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

tgibbs:

Have you thought of upgrading your centre speaker to a 7.4 instead of a 7.2 as the 7.4 provides an acoustic lense which will boost clarity of voices etc. 
    absolutely. if you have BL5 as front, you should think about the 7.4.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-23-2007 4:36 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

soundproof:
    In my own home theatre I plan to use BL6000s as side and rear speakers, mounted up on the wall and lying horizontally, with the "bottom" of the speakers pointing into the rear corners...

I think you should (or perhaps shouldn't) consult D. Lewis on this one... Big Smile

• 05-24-2007 12:48 AM In reply to

saf:

soundproof:
    In my own home theatre I plan to use BL6000s as side and rear speakers, mounted up on the wall and lying horizontally, with the "bottom" of the speakers pointing into the rear corners...

I think you should (or perhaps shouldn't) consult D. Lewis on this one... Big Smile

Hi Saf,

Given my knowledge of film-sound I find it unnecessary to use BL5s in the back. It would be like having a V8 engine and running a maximum of three cylinders. Makes no sense.

For multi-channel music that has been mixed specifically for uniform speaker setups - such as the music David Moulton demonstrates with up to five BL5s, yes.

My personal preference is for stereo or three-speakers-in-front music reproduction. 
    My side and surround speakers would only be used for movies and tv programs - the relationship in power between front and side rear would match that of excellent movie theatres with the BL6000s.

The new DSP algorithms make three-speakers in front a realistic possibility again. This is a superior form of recreating the musical soundstage and BeoSystem 3 does a good upsample to three channels. I haven't checked which DSP method BeoSys3 uses though.
    The Trifield circuitry is available in Meridian products - am hoping for something similar in BeoSys3. Will then use listening tests to determine whether I'll also want a BL5 as center.

http://www.stereophile.com/features/407upward/

http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_568.htm

• 05-24-2007 1:12 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Hi Soundproof,

I was just joking regarding your plan to position the BL6000s - of course, everyone is free to do what they want.

I also agree with your V8 allegory etc., ie having 2 BL5 plus some other BL is just fine for movie experience. Personally, I would now only consider having more BL5 if I a had huge and carefully laid out living room in which different combinations of playing speakers could create different choices of listening/viewing zones (eg TV plus projector, stereo music either from the front or the left etc). But this would need also BS3/BV9 ...  and a lot of $$$ Smile

Half-jokingly: it doesn't really matter if one starts with BL9 instead of the 5's because one day soon you will probably end up having both...  

• 05-24-2007 1:51 AM In reply to

saf:

Half-jokingly: it doesn't really matter if one starts with BL9 instead of the 5's because one day soon you will probably end up having both...  

Big Smile

You're  right, and even if not in the same system, I think listeners will appreciate the sound of the acoustic lenses to the point that this is what you'd like to have throughout your quality listening experiences (not just background music). Both speakers are great, so I can understand why pedrompinto is having trouble choosing.

Listen at home. There are rooms, even large ones, where the BL5s (or other expensive speakers) don't deliver as expected. Sometimes it's mysterious how a particular speaker just seems to fit a room better than another, more expensive one.

• 05-24-2007 7:04 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    saf:

Big Smile

You're  right, and even if not in the same system, I think listeners will appreciate the sound of the acoustic lenses to the point that this is what you'd like to have throughout your quality listening experiences (not just background music). Both speakers are great, so I can understand why pedrompinto is having trouble choosing.

Listen at home. There are rooms, even large ones, where the BL5s (or other expensive speakers) don't deliver as expected. Sometimes it's mysterious how a particular speaker just seems to fit a room better than another, more expensive one.

At the present moment i'm quite aware of the possibilities that i have, i just need to test / hear them & decide what i'm going to buy.

Patience is always a good quality.

Thanks to you all. 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-24-2007 7:17 PM In reply to

• mor
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Cologne
    • Posts 104
    • Bronze Member

risking that members will call me naive: the idea of more speakers is that each speaker performs a specific purpose.

I agree with everyone that BL5 with a 2 is not meant to be. But at the same time I dont see a reason for four 5s unless you're really into four channel audio recordings. Don't only go with what's supposed to be perfect - get your dealer to let you sample the options at your house! I have opted for 1s and 8000s in my last home - and honestly consider going back to four 8000s and a 2 ...

Sound is a very subjective choice!

• 05-25-2007 5:16 AM In reply to

mor:

risking that members will call me naive: the idea of more speakers is that each speaker performs a specific purpose.

I agree with everyone that BL5 with a 2 is not meant to be. But at the same time I dont see a reason for four 5s unless you're really into four channel audio recordings. Don't only go with what's supposed to be perfect - get your dealer to let you sample the options at your house! I have opted for 1s and 8000s in my last home - and honestly consider going back to four 8000s and a 2 ...

Sound is a very subjective choice!

You're quite right, but the ideia of discussing all this matters regarding BL5 / BL9 / BL3 & BL2, is to be aware of all the possibilities that such pick could give to the customer having in mind the sound / movie choice and, of course, both.

I found all this threads rather important, at least for me.

Like i said before, the knowledge is important but the "test drive" can be decisive to match the technical solution with the room that each of us have. 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-25-2007 12:31 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hey Peter yoy want to come to my wedding? Big Smile

My gift list is in the B&O shop in AberdeenStick out tongue

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-25-2007 12:40 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I would go 5s front 9s rear even if you can afford 2 sets of 5s in MHO I dont think you need the quality of 5s for rears, 9's would make fantastic rears in this top end set up you plan.

Regarding the the 5's being away from the wall, I have listened to 5's in three dealers set ups and none of them were 3 mtrs from the wall and they are the best thing I have ever heard in 5.1 and just audio.

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-26-2007 6:55 AM In reply to

Graeme:

Hey Peter yoy want to come to my wedding? Big Smile

My gift list is in the B&O shop in AberdeenStick out tongue

Humm... it seems a good ideia... strange too! Having in mind that we don't know each other. eheheh 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-26-2007 6:56 AM In reply to

Graeme:

I would go 5s front 9s rear even if you can afford 2 sets of 5s in MHO I dont think you need the quality of 5s for rears, 9's would make fantastic rears in this top end set up you plan.

Regarding the the 5's being away from the wall, I have listened to 5's in three dealers set ups and none of them were 3 mtrs from the wall and they are the best thing I have ever heard in 5.1 and just audio.

I've tested BL5 (front) + BL3 (Rear) and it sounded just perfect. What do you think ? 

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-26-2007 8:14 AM In reply to

pedrompinto:
    Graeme:

I've tested BL5 (front) + BL3 (Rear) and it sounded just perfect. What do you think ? 

It's just perfect, is what I think. The BL3s do an excellent job as rears, and you can aim them towards the main listening area.
    Only one thing I feel it's worth being aware of with them. If you mount them high on the wall, you should take some time trying out different "aiming positions" on the BL3s. If you shoot too low, the top of the lens ensures that you don't get all the output from the acoustic lens to your ears.

• 05-26-2007 9:34 AM In reply to

soundproof:
    pedrompinto:
    Graeme:

It's just perfect, is what I think. The BL3s do an excellent job as rears, and you can aim them towards the main listening area.
    Only one thing I feel it's worth being aware of with them. If you mount them high on the wall, you should take some time trying out different "aiming positions" on the BL3s. If you shoot too low, the top of the lens ensures that you don't get all the output from the acoustic lens to your ears.

soundproof,

i intend to use the stand floor and aim the bl3s to the listening area, i say, when seate i'll have a horizontal "line" from my hear towards the bl3s.

i think thats how it should be right ?

Pedro "Less is more"

• 05-26-2007 10:03 AM In reply to

pedrompinto:

soundproof,

i intend to use the stand floor and aim the bl3s to the listening area, i say, when seate i'll have a horizontal "line" from my hear towards the bl3s.

i think thats how it should be right ?

That will work if the back of your furniture isn't so high, or dense, that it covers your ears. With floor stands, I would use a couch or chairs where my head is actually clear of the backrest. Otherwise, you're sending the sound into the furniture. (This is why the side and rear loudspeakers in cinemas are up on the wall).

• 05-26-2007 5:54 PM In reply to

Well,  get the BL5's, they are a Must Have.

For the rear, I would recommend the BL3 due to the fact that they use the same ALT technology as the BL5's. Furthermore, they are doing an excellent job for the rear.

IMHO, adding a pair of BL5 or BL9 for the rear is a waste of money.

Less is more...

Guy 

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 07-26-2008 11:14 AM In reply to

I would definitely get 2 pairs of BL5´s because that´s the same as Batman has...:-)

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2