in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-15-2008 5:17 AM by Kokomo. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-11-2008 2:47 PM

Internet Radio through my beosound 4

Hello,

I started looking out there for a solution that would allow me to listen to intenet radios (living in the UK, i miss my french radio stations). At this point in time, that's all I want to do and therefore I was thinking of simply buying a good quality internet radio.

However now, I am looking at beoport, thinking of connecting it to my beasound 4 and listen to the music (from music files and internet radio) through to my beolab 4000.

Am I looking at the wrong thing? it seems to me beoport is designed to do a lot more than just getting to intenet radion channels; is this an expensive way of doing it?

If not, is it easy to instal and connect? Do i need wires. My current set up is beosound 4 connected to bolab 4000, and then a standard laptop with wireless access to internet.

Many thanks if you can help.

Chris

• 04-11-2008 2:57 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: Internet Radio through my beosound 4

Hi Chis, Beoport will give you just what you are after. It is connected to your Beosound4 via Masterlink. It connects to your PC witha USB cable and a connection to the soundcard.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 04-11-2008 3:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

.....and it's brilliant!!!
    I have 680 french speaking stations.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-11-2008 3:37 PM In reply to

Well, thanks guys, that was a very quick response. So, once Beoport is connected to my laptop, does it need configuring? What I am thinking is I may not want to have this little box wired into my laptop all the time since the laptop is connected wireless and I tend to walk around with it a lot.

Thanks gain, 

• 04-11-2008 3:52 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I seem to be recommending it a lot at the moment, but if you like Wireless systems then I'd strongly recommend an AirPort Express! Works wirelessly with iTunes and sounds very good (better than your computer's built in output).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-11-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Bonjour Chris;

The Beoport works very well, but alas, it does need to be connected to a PC. Not necessarily your laptop if you are mobile and take the laptop around with you.

Internet radio is only one of it's features; It really acts as a bridge between your computer and your B&O system. Stored or downloaded music, local or internet radio, photo and video clips, TV, DVD, CD, PC, which you can then send anywhere in your residence via ML. Dining, Bedroom, Bathroom, Laundry, Garage, Garden, out on the Terrace. Once you config and set it up, it updates itself automatically.

Like you I miss certain stations from Europe when abroad, and vice-versa. I know it works well for me in North America, and south of the Equator in Brasil when there.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Bon Chance !

• 04-11-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

Alex:

I seem to be recommending it a lot at the moment, but if you like Wireless systems then I'd strongly recommend an AirPort Express! Works wirelessly with iTunes and sounds very good (better than your computer's built in output).

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but would this "airport express" allow me to listen to the computer/internet radio   via the aux socket on my beosound 9000 cd player?  Without the bloody cable i currently use?

sandy

• 04-11-2008 4:31 PM In reply to

Hi Swiss 2,

thank you for your message. so do you plug your beoport to a pc which is linked to a router?

In my case, I would then need to re instal my retired pc just to access internet radio?

With regards to Airport Express, I am not I understand correctly: does it give access to a wiless laptop and therefore internet radio? But then, how does it send the sound to my beolabs?

Sorry if my questions are sooo basic!!

Thanks again

• 04-11-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Yes, this is correct, it's completely wireless...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-11-2008 4:44 PM In reply to

Hi Alex,

This sounds rather good but how does it send the sound to beolab? right my beolabs are connected to beosound4 and there is no connection to the laptop.

Also, woudl AE replace both my existing router and wireless box?

THANK YOU for your help.

• 04-11-2008 5:17 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

From the wireless network perspective, the AE looks like another computer... so you still need your existing router (not sure what you mean by wireless box).  You can connect it to your Bs4 via it's AUX port.  You need a DIN to RCA input cable (which B&O sells for an exhorbitant price) and then a mini-jack to RCA converter... or I've heard you can find DIN to mini-jack cables...

Stan

• 04-11-2008 5:24 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Stan is correct RE the wireless perspective, the AirPort Express would connect to your network just like any other computer. However, it's around the size of an iPod charger - it actually hangs off a wall socket it's so small - very compact!

It sounds very good through even a high-end system, if a little bit 'wooden' at times. If you find yourself wanting a better sound, you can connect a DAC to it's digital output and you'll have a sound which will compare to the best CD players money can buy - although obviously not with Internet Radio which is always going to sound relatively mediocre no matter what hardware/speakers/computer you have.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-11-2008 5:25 PM In reply to

Thank you all. This gives me food for thought.
  • 04-11-2008 5:41 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

A little more food for thought:

Since it's wireless, you may have issues if you live in a crowded spectrum.  I don't use my AE that much right now, but I tried to use it the other day and it did not work well... I'd get a few seconds of music and then nothing... I'd pick a new song, same thing...  turned out my neighbor has a new wireless network, and it was using an adjacent channel.  I didn't think adjacent channels should interfere, but, at least in this case, they did.  I don't know when he came on-line, but it wasn't anything I noticed from regular surfing.  Same with cordless phone interference... sometimes, my BeoCom 1 knocks out the music, but not the surfing.

OTOH, I started with BeoLinkPC2 + Laptop and had problems with the laptop disappearing (wife, kids "borrowing it").  It wasn't long before I found a dedicated computer for the BeoLink - it doesn't take much power to serve music.

Stan

• 04-11-2008 5:43 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Stan's AE suggestion 3 minutes ago might be well worth looking into.

I originally set my laptop up with Beoplayer + Beoport to test it, (It was called PC2 then). As most of us commute with our laptops, I decided to connect Beoport to a desktop PC and leave it in place. There have since been a number of ML speakers added, and 3 successive desktops I've built, but the system is enjoyable.

Jump ahead in time a few years to the present, and you have a number of new options now available to you. Wireless antennae now comes included with the latest PC box I've built, but I remain with my Linksys G-56 router. AE sounds like looking into, since you are getting started; If I had the option then, I might have chosen that route.

If on the other hand you want to work with what you have, I would connect the old PC to Beoport and then on into your BS 4 + BL 4000.  Nice to have options.

• 04-12-2008 2:21 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I use an Apple Airport Express with my Beosound 4 to stream iTunes. The program Airfoil will stream what iTunes wont.
  • 04-12-2008 8:55 AM In reply to

Hi Britox,

Have you tried listening to internet radios? sounds like your set up is a good option to me. And so in this case, I would have AE connected to the wireless network and then does it some sort of software i instal of a pc or laptop to access internet radio and indeed other things such as wireless printer, etc...? 

Stan, Swiss, if I was to connect beoport to a pc, then I would need to have that pc sitting close to my beosound right? or have cable running across the room. This really spoils the great look effect of the sound system right?

Im off to the US next month for a week so Im thinking of getting ready to purchase whatever I need there...so thanks for all your help.

• 04-12-2008 9:36 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

I use iTunes for internet radio but any source of net radio is capable of wireless play with Airfoil

Apple Airport Express link 

Apple iTunes link 

Airfoil link

If you can't find the French radio station in iTunes then select advanced>open stream and enter its URL

• 04-12-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Yes, BeoPort requires a cable connection from the computer to the BeoPort and then from the BeoPort to the BS.

Stan 

• 04-12-2008 1:26 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

I am using an airport extreme as basestation, connected wireless to an airport express who acts as a WDS remote station.

I am perfectly streaming my Itunes musicand internet radio wireless from a notebook thru the network. The airport express is connected to my Beo 3200 on AUX. At the same time connecting another pc to the RJ45 connector from the Airport express for my network applications. Everything works flawless at the same time. And the sound is good also, regarding the price of an Airport express.

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 04-12-2008 2:24 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Chrisrain;

1. Yes. Connection cable between Beoport, PC, and BS 3200. All lines are hidden.

2. Chris above, details the connection configuration very well with AE & BS 3200.

3. Re: North America: It works there with B&O EU systems. I have 3 ML Beoports set-up ( Suisse, US, Brasil ) using 220-240v equipment, including ML speakers. The US system works well using mains converters for 110 down conversion. 5 years now I believe.

I should think you might find some bargains in the US with the current exchange.

• 04-12-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

Again, thank you very much to all of you: very useful and you guys are very patient and helpful.

Thanks again.

Christine

• 04-13-2008 4:10 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Simple and very cost effective solution:-

Purchase FM transmitter which transmits on the 88 - 108 FM band (€20).

Connect to PC.

Tune B&O radio tuner (and other radios around the house) to appropriate transmitting frequency.

Result - Internet radio  around the house and outside if required! 

• 04-13-2008 2:05 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Bredene near Ostend-Belgium
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

Kokomo, 

Maybe in some countries around the globe, using a FM transmitter for personal use would be legal. But in most European countries, if not all this is highly illegal. Even so with low transmitting power.

Yes, I kown my spelling is horrible… Huh?

• 04-13-2008 2:38 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Are you sure Chris?
    ipods can be bought in the UK with a transmitter so you can tune your car radio to receive the signal. Both my sons have them.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >