in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2007 6:50 AM by Peter. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2007 6:04 PM

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

I have been such a dumb ass!

This is how easy it can be;

I am after a Ouverture, however this is because of my limited budget I would really like a BS3000, I have searched high and low looking at all the deals available, ebay, beoworld, lifestyle, morethanav, called all the dealers in Scotland etc.

Suddenly on ebay a beosound 3000, starting bid £5000, thinks aw! That will sell above my budget, however lets send him a cheecky wee message offering him £500 buy it now + PP, never expecting a reply. 2 Hours later a reply, “I cant except 500 but increase it to £600 +PP and you have a deal.  I Sends a message back to him saying ok lets do it. He gives me a paypal account to pay into, saying its his wifes account.

I send the payment, taking care to complete the dialog box in the payment section highlighting what the payment is for. Few hours later I get a mail from his “wife” saying, I have no idea what this payment is for, I have nothing for sale on ebay, is this payment in relation to a Mr XXXX XXXX (I don’t want to disclose name just yet!) I mailed back confirming that the payment was for the afore mentioned ebay Item. To which she replied “I know mothing of this sale and feel I should refund the payment. I was now cacking my pants. I replied OK REFUND THE MONEY LIKE NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

She Replied, because I thought it was in relation to Mr XXXX XXXX I transferred it to my cheque account cos he owes me money, I will transfer it back to my Paypal account but I think it will take 3-4 days to do so, then I will refund you. I objected to this strongly, she replied, To prove I am not scamming you I will send a good will payment of 200USD meantime. I said ok send it. The 200USD did indeed arrive in my account.

Meanwhile I could no longer get the seller to talk to me.

I have just had the worst week of my life waiting and keeping tabs on this female (who is in the states by the way) who eventually admitted to me that she was having a internet affair with this guy who works in Nigeria a lot, OMFG I thinks. She sent him 2400USD cos he got ill in Nigeria and needed money urgently. When she started asking for it back he said no problem I have clients in the UK who will send money to your Paypal account (that’s dumb ass me he is talking about) they will send what I owe and any excess please send to me like you did before. Needless to say we never heard from the Bas---- again. Today the money cleared in her account and she refunded the money to me (how damn lucky am I) (mobe I think I had the luck for both of us this week)

THE LESSON

I wanted this item, it was a great price, I asked him questions prior to the sale because I was being careful, he answered the questions well, as if he really did own the item etc (which he may well do cos he is scamming so much FN money)

ADVICE

Be more than carefull when using ebay if you or the seller you are questioning think you are going a bit far, WALK AWAY, if the person is genuinely selling a high end piece of equipment, I don’t think he will mind you checking the sh—out of him before you commit.

I have rambled on a bit in my excitement of getting my money back so if you want to know more, or explained better let me know and I will do my best.

I know this should maybe be in the ebay thread but I thought it should have full impact in the general forum.

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-04-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

Re: I have been such a dumb ass!

Your Weimaraner is scratching its head, I think! My sympathies - sometimes offers are too good to be true. People are so devious!!!

• 05-04-2007 6:18 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Graeme. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'm so glad that you got your dosh back.Smile

You think you were a dumb ass, what about her? Has she never heard of Nigeria and eBay? Sorry to any Nigerian Beoworlders (somehow those to words don't seem to go together very well) but any thing to do with Nigeria, I just switch off.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 05-04-2007 6:21 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

soundproof:

Your Weimaraner is scratching its head, I think! My sympathies - sometimes offers are too good to be true. People are so devious!!!

and gullableLaughing

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-04-2007 6:23 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

jandyt:

Graeme. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I'm so glad that you got your dosh back.Smile

You think you were a dumb ass, what about her? Has she never heard of Nigeria and eBay? Sorry to any Nigerian Beoworlders (somehow those to words don't seem to go together very well) but any thing to do with Nigeria, I just switch off.

Andy T.

I thought this was something to share with you guys cos I wouldnt wish what I have gone through in the last week on anyone BEWARE!

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-04-2007 6:25 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

But as they say once bitten................twice shyEmbarrassed
    Cheers Graeme
  • 05-04-2007 7:06 PM In reply to

I have little sympathy. I have warned several times before of the dangers of sending money for ebay items without careful consideration. Unless you know the seller to be reputable, pay cash on collection.

You are indeed a lucky fellow, you got your money back. A more efficient scammer would have had it away with your pennies before you had the chance to complain.

Stick to reputable sellers. Lifestyle-av for one and beo4life on ebay, amongst others, have exemplary reputations which have been achieved by providing first class service to their customers, usually not at the cheapest price.

If you must deal with unknown sellers then COLLECT AND PAY CASH.

Regards Graham

• 05-04-2007 7:23 PM In reply to

• Graeme
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Aberdeenshire Scotland
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Point taken Graham, Im glad you have a "little" sympathy thoughStick out tongue

One of the most anoying thing about this, while I was being scammed on this deal, the Ouverture you had for sale which I had been giving great consideration soldSad just to rub salt in the wound[:'(]

Never mind I am fully aware of how lucky I have been, and will tread a damn site more carefully in the future

Cheers Graeme
  • 05-04-2007 8:57 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Very lucky indeed Graeme - very lucky that the poor woman in the USA is obviously a decent sort - she's the poor sod I really feel forSad

Whoever said internet fraud is a victimless crime should be lined up against a wall and shot with the rest of these low lifes who make money out of other peoples miserySuper Angry

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 05-05-2007 6:34 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-15-2007
    • Posts 1,256
    • Founder

Well I think she was a very decent sort which most folks are on Ebay IMHO.

You got took but it wasn't the easiest scam to spot. Ebay will always be a leap of faith unless you do go for the cash when I pick it up approach, though there are scams (I haven't seen it with Ebay but with local paper ads) where people get robbed of the money and the car they came in for good measure.

Plenty of sharks out in this world including the shop you go and buy from leave a deposit and expect delivery which never appear because the place dissapears. Always someone out there after your money!

Kevin 

• 05-05-2007 6:58 AM In reply to

• JC
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Yorkshire / UK
    • Posts 621
    • Founder

Hi Graeme,

Close call fella [:'(]

If you are still after a 3000 i have a lovely one boxed with Beo 4 and instructions. All like new. Send me a PM or email if you are interested.

Jonnie

• 05-05-2007 7:01 AM In reply to

i think you we're lucky to get everything back. 

and i pretty much agree with your topic subject. ;-)
  • 05-05-2007 9:56 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

So glad you were not out of pocket.

CraigBig Smile 

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 05-05-2007 10:46 AM In reply to

• Toby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Hertfordshire United Kingdom
    • Posts 136
    • Bronze Member

These things happen, sometimes we just get so blinkered that all common sense leaves us and we do some stupid stuff. Fortunately you got away with it. Someone is looking after you. You will love your BS3000 once you get it and you won't forget this little tails for a long time.
    Kind Regards Toby
    I better do my bit and suspend my siggy.
  • 05-05-2007 2:51 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

I agree with Graham about reputable sellers.
     Many Beoworlders sell and buy on eBay and many of them have similar names on both sites.
    Mine is jandytclocks on eBay and I think Chris AKA Medogsfat is mypoorfatdog or something on that ilk.
    If you buy from a Beoworlder on eBay, I think you can be 99.9% sure he will be reputable. We are nice peepsBig Smile

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-05-2007 5:17 PM In reply to

Well as i've already created a topic concerning this, my first and only experience with buying from someone on BeoWorld was quite disappointing. I've bought a BeoCenter 9500 and a BeoLink 5000 from a member called Beofon, who was actually a moderator on the old BeoWorld. The last person you would expect to scam you. Everything went smooth, i've payed him the money and he seemed like an honest chap. 

It has now been more than two months, the BeoCenter hasn't arrived, and he stopped answering my emails. Additionally there is another gentleman on the official B&O forum, who also bought some speakers from him and as far as i'm aware he's waiting about three months now. I wonder what we can do in such a situation?
  • 06-05-2007 5:45 PM In reply to

I have done three deals with fellow beoworlders, two were perfect as they were face to face contact with cash. Unfortunatley the other was last year on the old beoworld when a 'so called' valid member of beoworld and a good reputation on ebay sold me a B&O cataloge through the sales section. Emails were exchanged and a £5 cheque was posted and cashed. The cataloge never turned up, and i couldnt make any more contact with seller.

OK it was only a fiver, but that could have been a couple pints of San Miguel down my local.

Anything you buy over the internet is a gamble.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 06-05-2007 6:10 PM In reply to

I think it would be best if there was no association with beoworld made when buying and selling B&O other than using as a means to do both former and latter.  It harms the site and those who conduct themselves in the right manner but as with everything in life nothing is ever 100%.

The risk is always there and sadly part and parcel of all things human.

I honestly cannot believe the situation with regards to Afonso - maybe I would be considering contacting a local police station and asking with them? maybe they can contact the local authorites in Portugal ( I think?) and find out what is going on?

• 06-05-2007 6:36 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hi Luka, How are you?
    You know, it's quite easy to junp to the wrong conclusion.
    If I were to sell you something on eBay and you know me from Beoworld and (presumably) trust me, then tomorrow I got hit by a bus. Nobody on eBay or Beoworld would ever find out! I would just seem like a dishonest scammer.
    Let's hope that it is nothing like that, but he could be ill or computerless or in jail or orbit or anything else.
    If he was a mod, perhaps another mod might know him and have contact details.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-05-2007 6:37 PM In reply to

mobeyone: I think that would be an option. From what i've heard from you guys ( i didn't know him that well on BeoWorld ) and from what i've talked to him myself, i also found it quite hard to believe, but after two months of no emails and no 9500 you get kind of suspicious and angry. That said, I will try it your way, but i have no idea where in Portugal he was located etc. so i have no idea where to start.

As for BeoWorld, i apologize if i made it sound like it was the site's fault for this unpleasant situation. I certainly don't blame Beoworld for this : )

jandyt: Please read the above. As i've said before, i too found it hard to believe, that's why i've asked the admins if they could help me contact him, since he was a moderator. From what i remember, Peter said they had some troubles with contacting him, but that he will try. I have not received any info from Peter since then.

I really don't want to sound like a bad person here, blaming everybody. But i thought that even though he could not receive my messages for whatever reason, i would still get the package he said he has sent. And two months now seem like a period to get a bit worried about, that's all.
  • 06-05-2007 6:47 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Don't worry Luka, We didn't think that at all. I really hope this gets sorted and you let us know the outcome. Have you lost a lot of dosh?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-05-2007 6:56 PM In reply to

Both 9500 and the BeoLink were about 750 euros ( 500 pounds ). Seemed like a bargain then : )
    It's not a huge amout, but it is still more than enough. Unfortunately, the money i had saved for Lab 4's will now have to cover this : (
  • 06-05-2007 7:07 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

To me, that's a huge ammount and I would be absolutely lividAngry
    I wish I knew what to reccomend. How did you get the money to him?

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-06-2007 1:51 AM In reply to

Completely unable to contact said member. I have sent you a PM.
  • 06-06-2007 5:50 AM In reply to

Peter, thank you for the PM, i will contact the police there, although i have no idea where to start. I've send him the money via a transaction on a bank and i still have all the papers. I imagine it will help. If anyone has any idea on how to start this, i will be happy to know.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >