in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-06-2008 12:04 PM by Stan. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2008 9:47 AM

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

Testing and comparing BL2

Eventually I am going to have a listening test of BL2 (and compare with B&W PV1) and I would like to be as critical as possible.

As many Beoworlders claim BL2 is not that good a subwoofer when it comes to music (I am not speaking about movies here), I would like to know in your experience which specific music types make BL2 sound the slowest and the most boomy, in order to test with this kind of music as well.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

Jean-Sebastien

• 04-04-2008 12:52 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Re: Testing and comparing BL2

I turn mine OFF when listening to music. (Bl8000's & BS4). Its too OTT
  • 04-04-2008 12:59 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

britops:
    I turn mine OFF when listening to music. (Bl8000's & BS4). Its too OTT

what kind of music do you listen to normally? 

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 04-04-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

Indie (Alternative), Rock, Pop, Classical. In that order.
  • 04-04-2008 1:49 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

It generally struggles with any music with a fast/detailed bassline - I'd recommend some electronic music to particularly show up any limitations in loudspeakers...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-04-2008 2:11 PM In reply to

Actually having compared Pentas and a BL2 against M100s, which have 12" woofers, the BL2 sounded quite overblown with all music. Before doing this, I had not really noticed as I think one gets used to different sound types, but in direct comparison, the bass of the M100s was far more detailed and taut. I therefore think that the performance of the BL2 can be improved. BL5s clearly also are markedly better - when you listen to them you are not overwhelmed by bass but notice the detail. Your neighbours might dispute this !
  • 04-04-2008 3:04 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd actually go as far as saying the BeoLab 5s provide the most controlled, smooth and dynamic bass I've heard coming from a pair of speakers...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-05-2008 3:45 PM In reply to

• Reox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

I've personally only found the BeoLab 2 sounded slow
    when it was placed in a corner. Moving it away from that
    corner and a foot away from a wall solved the problem.

In terms of detail it sounds like there are subs out there producing
    more nuanced low ends but I definitely like the warm, full results I get from
    my BeoLab 2 with all genres of music including very bass heavy genres
    like drum and bass and house music. I don't really play music much
    above a moderate 40-46 volume level. Perhaps at higher volumes is
    where these issues become most apparent.

• 04-05-2008 6:42 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I've always enjoyed my BL2, and have been somewhat mystified by the "slowness" comments from critics.  I haven't heard it.  I always figured it was the music I listen to, my hearing (although it would seem like even bad ears - and I think my ears are ok - would hear "slowness") or perhaps the critics' system (BL2 in corner or not optimally placed.. or perhaps just a difference of opinion, but so many with this different opinion... Whistle ).  I was hoping somebody would post some specific non-obscure tracks so I could hear, definitively, this slowness.

Come on people...  post some tracks... it shouldn't be hard... everybody knows the BL2 is slow and not at all suitable for music Wink

Stan 

• 04-05-2008 6:50 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I'd recommend 'Karmacoma' by Massive Attack...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-05-2008 7:28 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Alex:

Thanks Alex...  now, I need a new sub Sad I guess we need to be careful what we ask for...

That song turned my BL2 into a muddy rumble... although maybe that's how it's supposed to sound Smile.. kind of like when my mom used to complain about the distorted guitars of rock music, and we'd have to remind her that it is supposed to be that way.

Glad I don't listen to that type of music (started to give me a headache, my dog didn't go for it either)... so, for now, the BL2 stays.

Stan 

• 04-05-2008 8:10 PM In reply to

• Reox
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Funnily enough 'Karmacoma' was one of the tracks I was going to recommend to js
    to illustrate how good I think the lower frequencies can sound from a BeoLab 2
    (and BeoLab 8000's). Also 'Slam' by Pendulum and 'Rutten' by Skream for faster
    and more complex bass lines.

I have heard 'Karmacoma' on BeoLab 5's (and HD 650's) and the BeoLab 2
    does bring the lower frequencies to the fore more than some would like.
    I personally find the result can be pleasing and even exhilarating.

• 04-06-2008 2:13 AM In reply to

For pure "showing-off"purposes, I use another Massive Attack track - Angels.

Whack that up to max on your system with a pair of BL5's and see if the room can take it.

Hardly demonstrates the taunt, controlled delivery of base the original thread was implying, more a raw unadulterated power on how to destroy a building from within.

10%

• 04-06-2008 4:27 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Stan:
    Alex:

Thanks Alex...  now, I need a new sub Sad I guess we need to be careful what we ask for...

That song turned my BL2 into a muddy rumble... although maybe that's how it's supposed to sound Smile.. kind of like when my mom used to complain about the distorted guitars of rock music, and we'd have to remind her that it is supposed to be that way.

Glad I don't listen to that type of music (started to give me a headache, my dog didn't go for it either)... so, for now, the BL2 stays.

Stan 

Laughing Sorry! If you're happy with it, keep it! It does work well with a lot of music, just not with ALL music.

Another good bassy song is LFO's LFO off the album Frequencies. Even a BeoLab 2 isn't quite capable of reproducing the bass (which is really saying something), you really need a pair of BeoLab 5s in order to be able to hear feel the bass (and it really will bring your house down if played loud).

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-06-2008 12:04 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Reox:

Funnily enough 'Karmacoma' was one of the tracks I was going to recommend to js
    to illustrate how good I think the lower frequencies can sound from a BeoLab 2
    (and BeoLab 8000's). Also 'Slam' by Pendulum and 'Rutten' by Skream for faster
    and more complex bass lines.

I have heard 'Karmacoma' on BeoLab 5's (and HD 650's) and the BeoLab 2
    does bring the lower frequencies to the fore more than some would like.
    I personally find the result can be pleasing and even exhilarating.

I can understand this perspective.  I didn't know how Karmacoma was supposed to sound so after the "muddy rumble" experience, I listened to it on my BL3500 and, well, there was a whole lot of sound that just wasn't there.  This led to my comment about maybe it's supposed to sound that way (a muddy rumble)...  I suppose we'd need BL5s or similar to really know...

In any event, I wouldn't call this the BL2 being slow.  To me, it sounds more like certain very low frequencies cause the BL2 to resonate a bit.  It definitely shakes the room.  Again, not really a problem for me since this music is not really my cup of tea.

Still looking for that fast/complex bass line that shows the BL2 is a "1/2 second behind" (to quote somebody on this forum).

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)