in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-16-2011 6:04 AM by Niederrheiner. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-04-2008 8:02 AM

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

outside speakers

hi,

i am looking into the purchase of a pair of speakers for my outside terrace. i have a beo passive to drive them. i will not use the latest passive speakers from b&o because i don't really have the space to mount them into something (like a ceiling or a wall). they will also be exposed to the elements as my terrace doesn't have eaves or other places to protect them.

i am looking at a pair of speakers from bowers & wilkins, the wm2. b&w also proposes 'better' versions, the wm4 and the wm6. is it worth investing ? can the beo passive drive them, will the sound be much better with better speakers ?

thanks for any advice,

scott

• 04-04-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

Re: outside speakers

Hi Scott.....although I love B&W stuff.....i went out and listened to every outdoor speaker i could find...(but not the BnW..)....from $150 - 600 USD per pair...

I gotta tell you...we went with these below ....6 of them on 3 different terraces...dirven off 3 separate Passive amps...they sounded better than anything else up to the $600....and they are like $150 usd per pair...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3968553

• 04-04-2008 5:15 PM In reply to

Although I am by no means a pro in outdoor speakers I have a friend who just kitted out his garden, terrace and balcony with Bose outdoor speakers. Like many American machines, they were very powerful.
  • 04-04-2008 9:21 PM In reply to

Hi Henry....i'd suggest you go out and listen to them all....i can tell you that the Bose 251...i compared it to....was more expensive with just 1 X 5 or 5.5inch woofer...did not even compare to the yamaha's.....

I know , i'm really pro yamaha....but we've had these up for about 1 year in the sun, rain and weather of the equator.....no problem with sound or finish..they wipe off like new..

• 04-04-2008 11:20 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

No Bose, no Bose  They've gotten way way over-hyped and they're now selling mediocre speakers for high prices.  I have a pair of the yamaha ones Rizzo posted, well the older version of them at least.  They're not bad for outdoor speakers - I'd rate them a notch below cx100's.
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-05-2008 1:38 AM In reply to

Hi Austin...just a question....

What do you think of the bass of the yamaha's vs. CX100's...???

thanks...

k

• 04-05-2008 3:24 AM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

Frank Rizzo:

Hi Austin...just a question....

What do you think of the bass of the yamaha's vs. CX100's...???

thanks...

k

Hey Keith, I don't remember much about the bass in particular.  When I say a notch below the cx100's, I'd say it's in all aspects - clarity, range, bass.  I haven't really heard quality outdoor speakers though, as the yamaha's are the best outdoor ones of heard.  Usually when I think of outdoor speakers I think of the cheap ones at budget hotel swimming pools that sound downright annoying regardless of what music they're playing.

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 04-05-2008 5:00 AM In reply to

I hear ya Cam.....but outdoor speakers have really come a long way.....and you'd have to spend $800 per pair in my opinion to out do the Yamaha's.......great imaging, etc... i know their power rating is lower...but we're driving 2 pair with an amp that delivers 160 RMS per channel....super clean and it is excellent....with an outboard 10" sony sub on the terraza (terrace)....

Check em all out first....

• 07-14-2011 6:34 AM In reply to

• christophe67
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-08-2009
    • St Julien En Genevois (74), France
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

Hey guys

Sorry to bring back this old post but i'm also planing on using outdoor speakers.

They will be driven by beolink passive.

Did you also move the IR Eye from the beolink outside ?

If so, how did you protect it from rain and such. there is currently an aluminium box on ebay.de but it's more expensive that the beolink that I bought 2nd hand.

Any infos welcome.

Thanks a lot

Christophe (France)

My B&O devices : Beosystem 2300 - Beosound 4 - Beosound 5 - Beolab 4000 - Beolab 4 - Beo4 - Beo5 - Beotime - Earset 3i

• 07-14-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

The B&O IR signal is very strong.

Test having the IR eye inside the house, but facing outside through the glass of a window.

I don't have my setup outside, (although I have experimented with temporary setups), but I do open my french windows and control the inside from the outside :-)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 07-14-2011 8:05 AM In reply to

Hi Scott,

I installed a pair of the WM6 last year. Beo Passive has no trouble driving them.  They are really powerful which is what you need outside if you want to appreciate the subtleties of the music without having to turn them up too loud (don’t want to annoy the neighbours).

They coped easily with last year’s winter – rain, snow and freezing weather.

Hi Christophe,

I mounted the IR Eye just inside the patio doors – no trouble with the signal and no trouble with the weather. The IR Eye cannot cope with sub zero temperatures.

• 07-14-2011 8:07 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

According to the Masterlink manual there is a B&O outside mounting box that from memory is plastic. Part number is 3132221.

The IR 'puck' control for our outdoor speakers is mounted inside just inside the doorway. We have IR disabled as we usually just stand at the door and use the 'puck' to adjust the sound when needed.

If we need to change the CD or radio station from outside we just aim the Beo4 through one of the windows where something in the Beolink system will pick up the signal.

Peter

• 07-14-2011 5:22 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

I have the 'outside mounting box that from memory is plastic. Part number is 3132221.' from the previous thread which is a sealed box (water tight) and has been in use for about 6 years without issue. I use a pair of CX100s which are under cover and not exposed to the elements.

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 07-16-2011 6:04 AM In reply to

Hi all,

Take a Look at the speakers from EAW.

They have some commercial speakers which are outside capable

Waterproof and very easy to Mount.

Especially the Series sms1990 / 2990 etc are very good.

The Sound is absolut brilliant, very clean and harmonic...

Mounting optionsschein are availible.

Ive several Friends and costumers who choose These Models After a Test Hearing...

My setup at Home is also a EAW System, and i am very happy with it ;-)

For the German market look at www.trius-Audio.de thats the professional

Distributor for EAW. I Case of interest i can help with my reseller Account at trius.

Cheers,

Niederrheiner
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)