in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-10-2008 5:10 PM by Dillen. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-31-2008 2:16 AM

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

No go at all on 4002

Hi

I purchased a Beogram 4002 5511 in a not going state got it all up and running like new, purchased a new cartridge for it, went to plug it in today and just made a pop noise, replaced fuse and it blew again, unpluged the power supply from the main board and it blew another fuse. checked the power transformer and there seems to be very little resistance between the white (terminal 4 & 10 on voltage selector) and yellow wire (terminal 1 on voltage selector). Is my power transformer past its use by date? and if so where can i get another? Thanks

• 03-31-2008 4:43 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Re: No go at all on 4002

Hi Argee

On your other posting, you mention that the BG4002 works great. Here you say you've got a problem. Is the problem solved, or have you got 2 BG4002's?

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 04-01-2008 6:15 AM In reply to

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi.

No only got one. It was going great so i bought a new mmc20e for it, whilst waiting for that to arrive i thought i'd give it another run just to make sure it was all good to go but now just blows out fuses, with rather loud bangs.

Argee

• 04-01-2008 6:32 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

OK,

You said it was working great. Then it wasn't.

After it was working great and stable for a while, did you open it up, and change/adjust/fix anything? Even something small? Sometimes something which seems insignificant, sets off a chain of events which results in a failure. It's highly unlikely that you blew the transformer - these things are built to last a long time.

Even if you wanted another transformer, it would be a better idea to take your existing one to a transformer workshop, and have them rebuild it for you.

Check your transistors and diodes on all the PCB's - could be a shorted transistor. I've had that problem a few times, usually due to bad capacitors causing semiconductor failures.

If you can get hold of an ESR meter, you'd do well to check all the capacitors. D-ick Smith Electronics in Oz sells them.

Regards

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 04-02-2008 3:53 AM In reply to

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi. No the only thing i did was move it from one room to another.

I thought i maybe something on the main PCB so i disconected the plug that plugs the power supply in to it and the fuse still blew, then took the complete power supply out of the turntable to make sure it wasn't earthing out on anything but atill the same result. When the 2nd fuse blew it blew the glass sleeve about a meter out of the fuse holder!!

Regards

Arjan

• 04-02-2008 4:49 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

If you disconnected the power PCB, you need to start at the beginning, and check the circuit after the fuses. You may have an intermittent short, hidden under the transformer or in the rectifier area. Check the connections around the large Power Supply caps, and the transistor next to the motor.

• 04-02-2008 5:11 AM In reply to

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

On my 4002 the transformer is hardwired to the fuses and the voltage selector, then has a plug on the end that plugs in to the main pcb. Just had a bit more of a look at it and looks like the transformer is blown, one wire has infinite resistance so it blown out somwhere inside, two of the other wires have almost no resistance and they are not connected inside the transformer.

Anyone know where i can get another from? Would get it rewound but havn't found anyone in NZ who would do that.

Any help much appreciated

• 04-03-2008 5:39 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Without mains connected, check that the voltage setting switch is working, rotating and clicking as it's supposed to and that it was not set between it's marked positions by accident and of course that it is left in the correct position according to your mains voltage.

Dismount the cable/plug from the transformer to the main PCB, this separates the transformer from all of the electronics. If the fuse still blows, the fault lies within the tranformer or voltage setting switch. If not, the fault is to be found elsewhere.

Martin

• 04-07-2008 12:39 AM In reply to

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi.

Yeah checked the voltage selector in comparison to the circuit diagram i got with the turntable and it is fine. Disconected the plug but fuse still blows so the transformer has had it :(

• 04-07-2008 5:14 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I've had a rush on tangential parts the last year or two so am almost exhausted for parts but since this is not a too common fault to see, I'm sure that someone else has a transformer lying around from a scrapped Beogram, anyone ?

Martin

• 04-07-2008 7:01 PM In reply to

• jjh92
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I have a transformer from a 4002 I can part with.  Email me if interested (jcherrmann@comcast.net).
  • 04-08-2008 4:36 AM In reply to

• Argee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-31-2008
    • Waiuku, New zealand
    • Posts 11
    • Bronze Member

Hi.

Very Interested. Sent you a E-mail.

THanks 

• 04-10-2008 5:10 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

That's the spirit !

Here's maybe another chance :

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/permalink/104407/104948/ShowThread.aspx#104948

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)