in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-08-2007 5:38 AM by kawo. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-03-2007 7:23 PM

BV 7 & BL3

Dear All:

A little background, I have a pair of BL 8000 in gray, very nice sound.  I am considering adding a BV 7.  Will the BV 7 in gray match my curreint BL 8000 (bought less than a year ago)?  I may use them as fronts.  

The other option is to use BL 3 as front and rears.  Will BL 3 as rears be too much, knowing that in a 5.1 set up, the rears get very little information?  What about BL 4000 or BL 4 as rears?  

Also will gray BL 3 match the gray in the BV 7.  I am in the USA so BV 7 will be new here.  

Now, in the BL 3 set, front and rears, would you recommend the BL 2?  What about the with the BL 8000s, will I still need the BL 2?  I am asking because I have gone without a TV for close to ten years.  I have not miss much except some cool cartoons and the Daily Show in the US.  

Any comments are appreciated.

RD
    Stick out tongue 
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
  • 05-03-2007 9:43 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV 7 & BL3

If i was in your position, i would seriously consider the beolab 9, with possibly beolab 4, 6000's (or even your 8000's) as rear speakers. 

What do you think? Have you seen and heard the 9's yet? :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 05-04-2007 1:41 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Hello,

Will you order you r BV7 with a BL 7.1/7.2? If yes, my advise would be to keep the nice BL8000.  If you order the BL7.4 with the BV7, the BL3 might upgrade the sound a little bit. If this is worth the money? hmmm...not sure.

But adding a BL2 is worth the money!

For the rears, it would be nice to have BL3. If money is not an issue, why not (I have 4 BL3 and will have a BL3 as center when my BS3 arrives). The BL4 do this job as well (I have a pair in my kitchen, I replaced the BL3 with the BL4). I only expirience a differnce on music, not watching movies.

So to sum this up, BL8000 front, BL 7.1/7.2 as center, BL4 as rears (nice ceiling mount kit availabel) and a BL2. 

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 05-05-2007 8:17 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

try to trade in your 8000s, get the BV7 with BL7.4 and add a pair of BL9s. You can buy BL2 and rear speakers later, or now, if there is no budget. The BL7-4 BL9 combination is very good, I was listening to it at my dealer for some time.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-05-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

• joff135
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Somerset, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

Before you buy a grey BV-7 have a good look at a black one...i have one and it looks totally James Bond gorgeous! A friend of mines' dad has grey and he much much prefers mine. I almost bought the dark grey version but i am now glad that i didn't.

I have a Lab 7.1 which is a great centre speaker and fabulous for use as a stereo speaker when watching The News on tv or general documenteries or kids programs. Since i got the BV-7 last year i bought Lab 3 fronts which are totally brilliant for tv/videos/dvds and especially for music...and i quickly bought a Lab 2 because i thought that some dvds lost a bit of bass after i added the Lab 3s?

I bought a pair of Lab 4s for use as rear speakers a few months later which are more than adequate in my 5.1 set-up. I have not one complaint about them for watching 5.1 dvds. Infact i think that they sound great even if i sometimes play music at low or medium levels in Speaker 4 mode. Some people moan about the sound quality of the Lab 4s...but at under half the price of another pair of Lab 3s i am more than happy with them. If however you will play music a lot or loud in Speaker 4 mode then you should buy another pair of Lab 3s.

If you want a 5.1 set-up...and you are going for ALT front speakers...and perhaps ALT rear speakers too...then it would definitely be worth considering the 7.4 centre speaker. However, it is only mono and so you can't really use it on its' own...the 7.1 is what you need for that. We have young kids and the 7.1 is perfect for their many VHS videos and tv programs...and we find that some tv programs just don't sound right in Speaker 3 mode and much better in Speaker 1...especially old program replays. 

• 05-05-2007 1:11 PM In reply to

• joff135
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • North Somerset, UK
    • Posts 62
    • Bronze Member

tom:
    try to trade in your 8000s, get the BV7 with BL7.4 and add a pair of BL9s. You can buy BL2 and rear speakers later, or now, if there is no budget. The BL7-4 BL9 combination is very good, I was listening to it at my dealer for some time.

I thought that the Lab 9s already had a sub in them? Am i wrong?

• 05-05-2007 3:17 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

joff135:

tom:

I thought that the Lab 9s already had a sub in them? Am i wrong?

you are not totally wrong, but the BL9 don't have a sub in them like the BL5 have. I heard the 9s at my dealer with and without BL2, and for movies it makes quite a difference. for music, the bass of the BL9 is more than enough.

• 05-05-2007 5:12 PM In reply to

Have a listen at your dealer. It sounds as if you like the sound of your 8000s - you should, they are excellent speakers! They are also the most beautiful speakers made. They go very well with the BV7 though I would have a Beolab 7.1 or 7.2 rather than a 7.4 with them.  I would simply get the TV first and use it with your front speakers. If it were me in your shoes, I would get a Beolab 2 next as this will add to film watching immensely and then consider some Beolab 4000s as rears if you want them. Like you, I am less convinced of the wisdom of spending a huge amount on rear speakers unless you have money to burn! Clearly 4 Beolab 5s will be the very best sound but life is about compromise!

• 05-05-2007 5:38 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I think the issue with getting BeoLab 5s as rears, is I can easily how after time you'd move them to another room where you didn't intend for them to be originally. They are completely wasted as rears. The absolute maximum I'd go for is a pair of BeoLab 3s, but as Peter says, the 'rotating' function of the BeoSystem 3 with speaker arrangements is very cool.

Another plus side of 4 x BL5s is being able to tell friends they're sitting in the middle of 10,000+ watts! Big Smile

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-05-2007 6:20 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Alex:
    ..., the 'rotating' function of the BeoSystem 3 with speaker arrangements is very cool.

what is that? never heard of that function...

• 05-05-2007 7:22 PM In reply to

You can have more then 1 set of surround speakers connnected to the BS3. I,e, if you have a dedicated media room with screen in addition to the RV in the main room. Or if you have TV and screen in the same room but in different corners you can switch channels, i.e. the left rear and front may become the new left and right front speaker.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 05-06-2007 3:48 AM In reply to

tom:

Alex:
    ..., the 'rotating' function of the BeoSystem 3 with speaker arrangements is very cool.

what is that? never heard of that function...

I have a small suspicion that Alex is reading two threads at the same time and has posted on the wrong one! Look at this thread and his post makes more sense! 

• 05-06-2007 4:11 AM In reply to

Are planning to keep your lab8000s - if so a BV7 with Lab7.1 or 7.2 will generally work with it best.

If you are thinking of moving to lab3s up front (or even better lab9s) then choosing a Lab7.4 will give truly awsome sound as a full acoustic lens technology (ALT) set-up - if you have the cash that would be my preference.

If you want an opinion on keeping your lab8000 vs trading to lab9s then I can definitely recommend having just my that upgrade myself. Whilst the lab8000s do look superb -  many here will say they are the best looking speaker B&O make, I would suggest:

• the sound improvement is incredible; and
    • whatever people may say about their looks - especially when they first came out, having now lived with them in my lounge I certainly prefer them now to my lab8000s as giving a more refreshed, modern look.

Regarding rears - not so important, but if you do go for an ALT set-up up front, then Lab3s would be the most ideal.

• 05-06-2007 9:56 AM In reply to

Hummm... should the lad use beo 2 or the B&W PV1 ?

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20PV1

Pedro "Less is more"

BV7-40 MKII + BL7.2 + BL9 + BL3 + BS4 + BL4 + A9 + Earset 2 + 2 x Beo4 + BeoCom 5

• 05-06-2007 2:59 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Peter:
    I have a small suspicion that Alex is reading two threads at the same time and has posted on the wrong one! Look at this thread and his post makes more sense! 

God that makes me feel senile, at 16. Not a good thing... Laughing

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-06-2007 10:09 PM In reply to

Dear Karsten:

How will the BL 3 as center speaker work? I am curious.  

Thanks for your comments.

Dario
  • 05-06-2007 10:19 PM In reply to

Thank you for your comments.  

I am planning on keeping the BL 8000s--I enjoy their sound and looks.  The BL 9 sound great but I do not want trade in my BL 8000s for them.  Unfortunately, I am in no position, at the moment, to get the BL 5.  I do not like the way the BL 7-1 or 7-2 look on the BV 7; it looks out of proportion.  BL 7-4 is better look in my opinion.  

I am thinking of perhaps going with BL 3s in the front, BL 4 as center, and perhaps BL 3s in the rear or BL 4 or 4000.  

Someone mentioned an all black BV 7, if you have a picture please put it up.

Thank you again, I appreciate all of the comments.  

Dario
  • 05-08-2007 5:38 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Hi Dario,

I run the test with 2 BL3 in the front and 2in the rear, as center  I checked out a BL 7.4, a BL4000 and a BL3.

I started with the BL7.4, very nice sound stage! The Bl3 was nice, but as far as I recall not as good as the BL7.4. Last the BL4000, however, I run the BL4000 for just a couple of minutes, the gap to the BL3 and BL7.4 was just to big!

Unfortuntaley with my current plans the BL7.4 is not an option as I have to place the center on a sideboard, the BL7.4 is just to high for that. so the BL3 is the most obvious option for me. Otherwise I would go for the Bl7.4 as you have to buy a pair BL3 for the same price anyway .

Karsten

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)