in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-28-2008 3:02 PM by Flenser. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2008 3:32 PM

Music Server

I am looking at getting a music server for the other half. Multi room function not neccessary, but easy to use remote is. I would like to connect to the Lab 5's possibly by passing the 9000. Could I connect a sonos directly to the speakers?

Music library of about 700cd's. 

Not sure if I can wait for the BS 5, my shop seems to have absoloutly no idea as to how it works or when it will be out, so I am not holding my breath.

BV 7-40 MkIII, Avant RF, BL 5's & 4000's, BS 9000, and Beo4+5. Waiting for BS 5
  • 03-27-2008 5:45 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Music Server

I would strongly recommend Apple's system - which I use myself. iTunes is brilliant for organising music, and the Apple TV or AirPort express both give you numerous options of exactly how to go about the whole digital media thing...

Both have digital outputs and can therefore be connected directly to BeoLab 5s, although this would be difficult as I assume the BS9000 is already using the digital connection in the BL5s.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-27-2008 9:16 PM In reply to

With the Apple products you need a TV even though some control their dedicate macs through Iphone Ipod Touch every now and then you will have to login i.e. to load stuff into. For Apple TV which I have a TV is a must.

For the Sonos, I saw that once briefly in a restaurant. It does have digital out and there is a way to control volume on the BL5 without the BS9000 in place, I think you can connect an IR eye directly. I recall an article about that.

You will not be able though to run BS9000 and Sonos through the digital connection.

I considered a Sonus myself, however I feel this is one of these products where the look and feel is going to annoy me after half a year so I am waiting for Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5.

In the meantime I use my Apple TV which works very well. Its controlled through my BV8/Beo4 can't say that often enough.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-28-2008 2:49 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Apple TV is no option for me as well as I don't want to switch on the TVevery time I want to have access to the music library. The Sonos system is great, I tested it some time ago. 

I am not sure if you really hear a difference if you connect the Sonos to the Aux In of the BS9000 and than to the Lab5. At least from I expirience I did not hear any noticeable difference between a CD Player conected to the digital in of the lab5 and through a Beosystem3 in my house (and I have a dedicated media room with some acustic treatment). Furthermore, if you don't need multiroom what about one 160GB iPod? Unfortunately I can not coment on the audio quality, but might be an option.

Hope that helps

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 03-28-2008 4:50 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If you don't want to have to switch on a TV, then the Sonos system sounds like what you're looking for.

Store everything in a Lossless file format (not WAV or AIFF, these take up masses of space), and I see the Sonos system supports Apple Lossless.

The BeoLab 5s have their IR eyes built in directly, and I believe you must connect the speakers via PowerLink to each other in order to keep them synchronised. Don't forget to put them in the correct option setting, which should be either option 1 or option 2 (both would probably work).

You will control the volume and power of the speakers with a Beo4 remote.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-28-2008 3:02 PM In reply to

I have the Sonos system for some time now and Ilike it very much. I use the ZP80's with my various B&O audio systems (analog only). The ZP80 has optical and coaxial digital outputs, so it should not be a problem to connect it directly to the Lab 5's.

Flenser

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)