in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-06-2008 3:34 PM by Peter. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2008 10:31 AM

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Unbelievable: Beogram 3000

Sometimes you just don't believe your eyes:

I didn't look after my B&O collection for quite some time (I did use some of it of course, but nothing more). Yesterday I looked at a Dutch online marketplace by coincidence and someone offered some older B&O equipment. Some beocenters, a beocord taperecorder and a beogram.
    Normally I would not have cared for such "as is" equipment, I have quite a lot of B&O waiting for me to have enough time (and money!) to bring it to it's former glory. The beogram was a 3000, but then again, this mostly means the one to go with the beoaster 3000 or the later tangential one. But not this time! The picture with all the equipment made clear enough that this time the beogram 3000 was te acoustical one to go with the beolab/beomaster 5000. I could not believe it! The time between seeing it and speaking to the one who sold it seemed endless, but finally I could come over and pick up the whole lot! Big Smile

Of course, with equipment sold like this there is always an other side: broken dust cover, no element, the part of the arm to place it on a record is missing, no idea if parts have been removed on the inside for repair of others etc.
    So, maybe someone can help: where to start looking what I've bought exactly and how to bring this one back to it's original condition?

• 03-27-2008 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: Unbelievable: Beogram 3000

Nice deck - I have one as well. The arm is just a straightforward ST/L and is the same, I am sure, as the one on a Beogram 1000/1001 so is easily obtainable. The lid could be trickier - I am not sure the one I have is original anyway! The service manual is actually on site!
  • 03-27-2008 11:32 AM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

The lid I have now looks very, very cheap. No B&O on top like a BG 1200 lid and very thin plastic. But the lid is the last thing to care about, first I have to get it up running again.

Do you have pictures of the inside maybe? I'd like to check if it's complete, before I start looking for a belt, a cartridge etc.
    How does it actually work? There isn't something marked "play" or any other hint.

(I'll upgrade my membership for the manual, but can you give a hint on how to open it?)

It's brother, the Acoustical 3100 sometimes shows up (more often than this one!) and sells for lots of money. Is it really that good?

• 03-27-2008 2:40 PM In reply to

The raise/lowering arm was also sold by B&O as a seperate part, you sometimes see them up for sale, you might pick up one as cannabalised parts from a less illustrious turntable.
  • 03-27-2008 2:52 PM In reply to

Once you have power to it, all you do is lift up the arm from the retainer, there is a rod inside the retainer pillar which operates a fairly crude lever switch under the top of the plinth.

When you lift this arm up, you should get a neon light show up in the little window on the front right. This neon illuminates the underside of the platter, which you can see because there is a mirror in view of this window. What you should see is a row of dots, which you use to get the platter to the exact speed as the flickering of the neon light acts as a strobe.

You adjust the speed via a knurled metal knob which is at the front right of the turntable.

There is a similar knurled metal knob on the front left of the turntable, this is used to change the speed from 33 to 45. Its very simply made affair, it hooks the belt to a differant pulley.

If you want to get at the belt, then look on the top metal surround faschia that goes around the platter. You will see small metal machine screws, you unfasten them and this fascia just lifts away and you can easily see the 33/45 speed change mechanism on the left and also see the belt.

If it is doing nothing, then the chances are that it will be something to do with that lever switch, or the actuator rod that runs from the arm support, it may be gummed in place, or the contacts of the switch may be tarnished.

This turntable is a very simple thing in terms of electrics, it's possible that the fine speed controller on the right hand front is broken, and you will need a fairly heavy duty rheostat to replace it, but it should not be hard to obtain something that will do the job.

• 03-27-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

Bliss:

It's brother, the Acoustical 3100 sometimes shows up (more often than this one!) and sells for lots of money. Is it really that good?

Not in the same league as the Thorens one but well extended bass. It is just an Acoustical 3100  with a B&O arm.

• 03-27-2008 6:30 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Ok, it's alive! When the arm is moved to the center it starts turning and the light turns on (already more than I expected).

I don'n know if it's possible to change the rpm a lot, but at the moment it's only at 27 rpm when in 33 rpm mode.

It seems there is an adaptor mounted for a different type of element than the original sp ?? ones.

There are also 2, one on each side of the platter, holes where screws seem to be missing. The deck is also not really well mounted to it's wooden chassis, but I can't see anything that a screw could hold underneath.

• 03-27-2008 6:32 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Trying to upload any images, but this doesn't seem to work.
  • 03-27-2008 6:47 PM In reply to

Should do! This is mine!

• 03-27-2008 7:37 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Surprise Cubes so close together!!
    Hmmm BBC Radio three eh? No cricket on there methinks!
    Is this your 5000 back from Frede's?

Poor me, never win owt!

• 04-06-2008 1:50 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

On my search for an SP cartridge I found a gold-coloured SP8-9. Does anyone know if this could be original? The B&O logo and the text sayin SP8-9 look nice, but I have never seen one before. The picture of the Beogram 3000 here on Beoworld also seems to show a gold-coloured SP cartridge, but this might just be wishfull thinking ...

Does anyone remember a recent Beogram 3000 (e-bay) price? There is an original Acoustical 3100 for sale on the same website where I found my Beogram 3000 and the bids reached EUR 450,- already! Surprise

• 04-06-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

My SP8-9 is gold but I have a feeling that it came with another name on the packaging.

As to a price on eBay, I have never seen an Acoustical 3000 on eBay!  

• 04-06-2008 2:34 PM In reply to

• Bliss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Ok, I'll go for it then! (Are there also silver SP-9's?)

No Beogram 3000's on eBay either? I'm just curious about my luck, it's not for sale!

• 04-06-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

I bought mine for £100 - someone contacted me about it and neither of us knew exactly what it was.  I was looking for the Thorens model at the time. We decided it might have been a prototype so I made him an offer which he accepted! Ronny Mortensen at Struer told me what I had and sent me the service manual, which is on site.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)