in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-18-2008 9:38 AM by beoperson. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2008 1:05 AM

BeoSystem 1 and Playstation 3

I have had several problems with my BeoCenter 2 and while it is currently in for repair, I have attempted to set up my Playstation 3 as my dvd player.  I am using a Zector switch with my BS1.  Here is my problem--I am able to get the Playstation 3 games to play in 1080i resolution, but I have no picture when I attempt to play DVD's.  I get sound, but no picture.  Do I need a firmware upgrade on the BS1, or is there a way to change the settings on the Playstation 3 in its settings menu?
  • 03-27-2008 7:33 AM In reply to

Re: BeoSystem 1 and Playstation 3

Make sure that you only have 480p and 1080i selected as your supported video resolutions in the ps3. The problem could be with the BS1's ability of only displaying either 480p or 1080i through the component inputs. Also, you might be losing the video sync when the ps3 switches from 1080i to 480p output when you start to play a dvd, in which case you need to "refresh" the sync with the BS1 by hitting the source button (e.g., "VAUX" or whatever source you have the PS3 connected to) on the Beo4/Beo5. That will force a video re-sync between the Beosystem 1 and the PS3.

Another setting for you to check is the "Cinema Conversion" setting in the PS3 to make sure that any 480i signal is output as 480p. Also, I think that if you have the dvd upconversion turned on that the PS3 will output a dvd as 480p -- even though it can't upconvert commercial dvds to 1080i.

You probably also encountered the frustrating problem of actually setting up the PS3 for the first time while connected to the Beosystem 1. During the initial setup, the display is 480i -- so you have to first set up the PS3 connected directly to a tv before re-connecting it to the BS1. 

• 03-27-2008 9:48 AM In reply to

Thank you Beojeff for this info.
    It will be very helpfull when I will connecting PS3 to my BS1 and I plan to do it soon!
    David the BeoPerson
  • 03-27-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

BTW, the PS3 now supports 2-channel SACD playback via the optical audio output. This was an unpublicized update. Previously, the optical audio output did not support SACD. We can now enjoy SACD on our Beosystem.
  • 03-27-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

Excellent!
    I just wish that BS1 had remote codes for PS3.
    I understand that PS remotes are bluetooth and therefore cannot be controlled directly but I think there is a IR bluetooth adapter exists already. On the other hand PS3 bluetooth remote allows to have PS3 hidden with BS1 in the closet.
    David the BeoPerson
  • 03-27-2008 12:49 PM In reply to

beojeff,  Thank you so much for the response and advice.  I added 480p as a supported video resolution with the ps3 (previously I had only 1080i selected) and now I have been able to get video for games.  I have not tested a dvd yet.  I am assuming then that the problem was my ignorance that dvd's and most games output at 480p.  I will test a dvd this evening.  

What is the best connection for audio to give me the most out of my bs1?  I currently have full surround sound.

Thanks again for the advice.  I was contemplating switching to the bs3 if this continued to give me much more trouble, but I just can't justify the cost yet.

• 03-27-2008 3:24 PM In reply to

Azatty,

I, too, would love to be able to upgrade to a Beosystem 3; however, the cost is prohibitive. Also, the BS3 still has some serious shortcomings that I predict should be rectified by B&O once B&O unveils its own BD player. For example, the BS3 still lacks HDMI 1.3, 24 fps, and the advanced audio codecs used by many blu-ray disks. I certainly don't want to invest in a BS3 and discover that an improved version becomes released shortly thereafter. 

It's my understanding that the PS3 only offers an optical audio connection rather than a digital coax -- unless you have an optical to digital coax adapter. I use a Monster optical cable; however, I think that a cheaper optical cable would be just as adequate. This will provide for you the Dolby Digital and DTS audio. Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, you can now take advantage of 2-channel SACD with the optical connection. Note that the PS3 settings do not allow the option to output in BOTH digital optical and analog RCA cables. You must choose one or the other. Prior to the firmware update that now enables SACD over the digital optical connection, the only way (lacking HDMI) to take advantage of SACD was with an analog RCA connection. However, now the digital optical cable takes care of all your needs.

• 03-27-2008 3:30 PM In reply to

Beoperson,

I use an IR adapter with my PS3 in conjunction with a Lintronic code-converter. It works very well, short of the ability to turn the PS3 on and off with the Beo4/Beo5. There is another adapter available for $30 to $50 that does allow the ability to turn the PS3 on and off with the Beo4/Beo5. My understanding is that the later adapter actually uses the Sony DVD codes that are already built into the BS1. Unfortunately for me, the Sony DVD codes are only listed under the "dvd" connection of the BS1. Since I have a Beocenter 2 connected to my BS1, that connection is already in use. 

• 03-27-2008 6:13 PM In reply to

Beojeff,

Interesting info on the Beosystem 3.  I had no idea that it was so seemingly lacking in the respects noted in your post.  For that sort of investment, I would definitely wait to see if there are any updates/upgrades.

As for the PS3, yes, besides hdmi, it only offers optical audio.  I am assuming that if I utilized the optical audio output on the PS3 I would be able to get full Dolby 5.1 Surround through my bs1--is that correct?

I have now tested regular dvd's and blu-ray dvd's with the settings you suggested and everything seems to be working as it should.  I am blown away by the quality of the picture.  It is much better than what I was getting with my Beocenter 2 (looks like I will just sell it).  Again, thank you for your assistance.  I have had several calls to B&O support and they were no help.  Next time I will just post here.

• 07-15-2008 9:22 AM In reply to

I'm also having problems now with BeoSystem 1 and PlayStation 3.
    First I had set up Playstation 3 via HDMI cable directly to plasma screen. Screen output resolution settings are 480p and 1080i.
    Then I connected component cable to Zektor which is connected to BS1.
    Zektor Input 1 - STB
    Zektor Input 2 - PS3
    I use optical (TOSLINK) cable to BS1 and have excellent sound.
    BeoSystem 1 has following settings:

DVD - Panasonic F87
    SAT - NONE
    VCR - NONE
    V.AUX - GENERIC Y Pb Pr
    STB - Sci Atl Explorer 8300HD
    SWITCH - ZEKTOR

David the BeoPerson
  • 07-15-2008 1:01 PM In reply to

I should probably remove HDMI cable from PS3 and see if it works...
    David the BeoPerson
  • 07-17-2008 11:31 AM In reply to

Finally it's worked!
    I had to move PS3 to other tv with component inputs. Looks like by default PS3 decided to use 720p instead of 1080i.

So here are the steps for connecting PS3 to BS1

1. Connect PS3 using provided composite cable (resolution 480p) use VCR input for example.
    2. Go to external sources menu of BS1 --> VCR and set input to GENERIC NTSC and hit GO
    3. Set external sources menu of BS1 --> DVD to GENERIC YPbPr and hit GO
    4. Toggle between BS1 inputs and you should see PS3 menu when VCR is selected on BS1.
    5. Using PS3 controller go to screen setting and select Component cable. then manually set resolution to 480p and 1080i (uncheck 720p!)
    Do not press X which will apply changes!
    6. remove composite cable from PS3 and replace it with component which should be connected to component input on BS1 (top panel)
    7. Press DVD on BS1 - you shoulg get black screen.
    8. Now press X on PS3.
    note you have 30 secods to confirm PS3 screen resolution settings otherwise PS 3 will switch back to previos settings.

David the BeoPerson
  • 07-18-2008 9:38 AM In reply to

One more note on this setup:

Playstion 3 games with highest resolution of 720p will not be converted by PS3 to 1080i. So when used with BeoSystem 1 (which accepts only 480p or 1080i) it will downconvert to 480p.

However for PS3 Blue Ray player will convert 720p to 1080i or even 1080p.
    David the BeoPerson
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)