in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-26-2008 6:54 AM by KingStreet. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-23-2008 3:34 AM

Would Beoworlders enjoy hearing live music through Beolab 5 / 9's??

I would be very interested to know peoples thoughts on this. 

As a hi-fi system is essentially a tool for reproducing music, does it follow that a very good hi-fi system ( Lab 9's or lab 5's ) would be able to do a good job "live" - albeit there are obvious exceptions - I'm not suggesting a full rock band or a DJ set as  they obviously require different things for a live PA rig to cope with.

But an acoustic ( folk/blues/classical ) performance,  in a hall ( or shop Wink ),  to 70 or so people may be viable.

Would it be interesting / useful / worth attending ? 

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 03-23-2008 4:00 AM In reply to

Re: Would Beoworlders enjoy / find merit in hearing live music through Beolab 5 / Beolab 9's ??

I would also interested to hear anyones experience in setting up a system for live music using Beolabs.

• 03-23-2008 7:13 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Would Beoworlders enjoy / find merit in hearing live music through Beolab 5 / Beolab 9's ??

I would love to hear it! BeoLab 5s would be the ideal choice...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-23-2008 7:29 AM In reply to

Re: Would Beoworlders enjoy hearing live music through Beolab 5 / 9's??

I have heard the Lab 5s in a small concert type setting (lives blues/jazz to about 200 people) and they performed well and as one would expect I guess. Not sure what else to say about the experience as I am not too bothered either way how they are used. A speaker is a speaker to me, it repoduces sound and you use the appropriate one for the type of setting you are in. I wouldn't expect to see Lab 5s used for anything bigger as I think they would look odd at a concert and not fit in. Just my view.

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-23-2008 9:46 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

It would most definitely be interesting to hear live music as you say. Are you thinking of arranging something then?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-23-2008 10:06 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

I'd really like to hear live music through BL5's. IIRC was it kingstreet that had someone playing guitar through BL9's at one point? I think I remember seeing that in a thread a while back. If so, how did you find that worked out?

Robert. 

• 03-23-2008 10:14 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

KingStreet - you have a PM RE: lab 5s as PA speakers.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-23-2008 11:56 AM In reply to

Hi everyone!  

BeoLab 5s work extremely well in small/medium club sound reinforcement, particularly for acoustic and jazz/pop acts.  I've been using a pair at a local music school (Indian Hill Music Center, in Littleton, MA) for both rock/metal reinforcement and also the occasional jazz or acoustic evening, in a medium sized recital hall (ca. 250 seats).  They sound terrific, the bass correction is an absolute godsend, and (counterintuitively) they are extremely resistant to feedback while also giving the players on-stage a much better sense of the house mix.  

There is also a pair of BL5s in a lecture/recital hall at Berklee College of Music, doing hard service for rap/hiphop, jazz recitals, music synthesis demonstrations, and so on.  I would love an "industrial-strength" version for such work, but even the stock systems work very well.  

Caveat: they will succumb to high-level abuse (I've proved that!), and need a little care when levels in the room exceed 105 dB SPL (I now use a compressor/peak limiter in line with them).  And they won't replace a stack of Marshall bass amps.  

BeoLab 9s simply don't have eough power for any reasonable reinforcement other than a folk guitarist in a small cafe.  

At Sausalito Audio, we've built and tested several ALT equipped guitar amp prototypes, and feel there is real potential there.  It's a pity we don't have the time or resource to develop it.  

I hope this helps.  

Best regards, and Happy Easter!  (Be sure to count your Easter Eggs BEFORE you hide them all – this advice from sad experience!)
    Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 03-23-2008 5:35 PM In reply to

Dave Moulton:
    Hi everyone!  

BeoLab 5s work extremely well in small/medium club sound reinforcement, particularly for acoustic and jazz/pop acts.  I've been using a pair at a local music school (Indian Hill Music Center, in Littleton, MA) for both rock/metal reinforcement and also the occasional jazz or acoustic evening, in a medium sized recital hall (ca. 250 seats).  They sound terrific, the bass correction is an absolute godsend, and (counterintuitively) they are extremely resistant to feedback while also giving the players on-stage a much better sense of the house mix.  

There is also a pair of BL5s in a lecture/recital hall at Berklee College of Music, doing hard service for rap/hiphop, jazz recitals, music synthesis demonstrations, and so on.  I would love an "industrial-strength" version for such work, but even the stock systems work very well.  

Caveat: they will succumb to high-level abuse (I've proved that!), and need a little care when levels in the room exceed 105 dB SPL (I now use a compressor/peak limiter in line with them).  And they won't replace a stack of Marshall bass amps.  

BeoLab 9s simply don't have eough power for any reasonable reinforcement other than a folk guitarist in a small cafe.  

At Sausalito Audio, we've built and tested several ALT equipped guitar amp prototypes, and feel there is real potential there.  It's a pity we don't have the time or resource to develop it.  

I hope this helps.  

Best regards, and Happy Easter!  (Be sure to count your Easter Eggs BEFORE you hide them all – this advice from sad experience!)

Hi Dave - Happy Easter.

Hope your mini road trip to Europe was OK.

Thanks for your description of Lab 5's in use as reinforcement speakers - and also to Alex for his.

We are 9/10 of the way to having a fairly big name ( in the acoustic/folk world ) confirmed for an instore performance in about 6 weeks.  More info as and when, but I am looking forward to this a lot....

• 03-23-2008 6:51 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Hmm Sounds like a photo' opportunity looms.Whistle

Happy Easter everybody!

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-24-2008 2:57 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Dave Moulton:

B&W did this with their 800 series (they produced a more 'industrial grade' version for use in Cinemas etc...), and B&O should do this with the BL5s IMO. It's not exactly a normal market for them, but the technology driving the BeoLab 5 would be perfect for a sound-reinforcement speaker.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-24-2008 7:48 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Jandyt:

Happy Easter everybody!

Andy T.

Time for another one of Andy's legendery photo's threads. You know we all look forward to them mate.Wink

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-24-2008 11:03 AM In reply to

Jandyt:

Happy Easter everybody!

Andy T.

Andy - there may be issues there.  I'm pleased to say that the performer involved has a "proper"manager, a record label, a website etc etc - he is a full time, professional troubadour,  and so it may not be legally acceptable to snap away without permision - what the footballers call "image rights" may well apply.  I'll find out.

A clue - he was interviewd last week on BBC Radio 2 -  also received a Best Album and Best Original Song award at a 2008 Award Ceremony filmed and shown on the beeb.Yes -  thumbs up

Ful details on Wed or Thur this week.

• 03-24-2008 11:08 AM In reply to

• Robert
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Northern Ireland
    • Posts 362
    • Gold Member

Is it Martin Simpson? I know he won some awards at the Radio 2 Folk Awards....

Robert. 

• 03-24-2008 1:49 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

As Dave said, in a small room or gathering they may be nice, but they're not going to replace a marshall stack.
    -Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 03-25-2008 8:53 AM In reply to

camshaft:
    As Dave said, in a small room or gathering they may be nice, but they're not going to replace a marshall stack.

No need in this case - it will be acoustic guitar and vocal,. to about 60 - 70 people, in a room about 10m x 30m. 

Just tested them and it sounded stunning.  Full details asap.

• 03-28-2008 5:34 PM In reply to

Good Guess Mr rsmyth

We are very pleased to confirm that non other than Martin Simpson will be playing in King Street on Saturday 3rd May ( 8pm ), as part of our anniversay Celebration Weekend ! Smile

Via Beolab 5 speakers.

So - one of the worlds best guitarists playing a full set live through a set of the worlds best loudspeakers.  A rare chance to be at a very special gigStick out tongue

Add the fact that Martin is a superb songwriter, brilliant singer of English and American songs and a very engaging performer ( I saw him last year at Cambridge - superb ) it makes for a superb event.   

Martin is on a roll this year - he won Best Album and Best Original Song at the Radio 2 Folk Awards - he has had extensive airplay on the BBC radio and TV, including a slot on Later with Jools Holland earlier in the current series.

For more info, check out the bbc folk and acoustic web pages, or just google away..some good clips on you tube too. 

I have "reserved" a minimum of 18 places for BeoWorlders

Entry to this event is completely FOC, as a Thank You to customers old and new, but admission is by reservation only, so pm for a place.

There is other stuff happening over the weekend - full details from the shop - anyone on King Streets customer list will receive full details in the next couple of weeks - but here is a heads up to BeoWorlders first.

• 03-29-2008 4:44 AM In reply to

There will also be a classical recital on Friday evening - details still TBC.

• 03-31-2008 12:33 PM In reply to

OK - the classical recital will be Fridy evening - held in conjunction with Chethams School of Music.  Exact format tbc, but its now arranged.

Places now being reserved for Saturday, so anyone here who wants to come along should reserved a seat asap to avoid dissapoitment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-pwUi8Vv1c

some comments ....

* This actually gives me shivers... Saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival last year and he was amazing! Probably the best guitarist I have ever seen. Thanks for posting : )
    * Thank you so much for posting this! Im still waiting for Martin to TAB it and put it on sale so I can try and learn
    *I believe this won the award for best original song at the BBC folk awards 2008. An excellent song about human frailty. Thanks for posting it.
    *this is great! i saw mr simpson perform at the Lowry last summer - he performed solo - awe inspiring

• 03-31-2008 5:29 PM In reply to

• V13WNG
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-11-2007
    • Eastbourne, East Sussex, ENG
    • Posts 200
    • Bronze Member

Hi KingStreet,

Won't be able to make this performance due to a prior concert engagement, but I thought I'd comment on how some BeoLabs perform as PA speakers, attached to a DJ rig...

I enjoy DJing in my spare time, and had the opportunity at New Years' to perform to around 60 people, using a pair of Bass Enhanced BeoLab 8000 as main speakers.

A bit odd, you may think, but I was only broadcasting to an area of about 12m by 6m, and a small garden. It worked wonderfully well, and the 8000's really enhanced the warm sound of vinyl. Many partygoers commented on how good the whole set sounded - unfortunately they also picked out some mistakes - something my normal monitor speakers fail to pronounce strongly enough for people to notice.

I have tried the same thing with a pair of BeoLab 5's in the showroom here, and it works well - although the bass has to be turned down to avoid any slurs with the really deep tunes.

I know it's not "Live Music" as such, but it sounds bloody good!

Muchos Gracias Cool

• 03-31-2008 5:59 PM In reply to

A14BEO:

Hi KingStreet,

Won't be able to make this performance due to a prior concert engagement, but I thought I'd comment on how some BeoLabs perform as PA speakers, attached to a DJ rig...

I enjoy DJing in my spare time, and had the opportunity at New Years' to perform to around 60 people, using a pair of Bass Enhanced BeoLab 8000 as main speakers.

A bit odd, you may think, but I was only broadcasting to an area of about 12m by 6m, and a small garden. It worked wonderfully well, and the 8000's really enhanced the warm sound of vinyl. Many partygoers commented on how good the whole set sounded - unfortunately they also picked out some mistakes - something my normal monitor speakers fail to pronounce strongly enough for people to notice.

I have tried the same thing with a pair of BeoLab 5's in the showroom here, and it works well - although the bass has to be turned down to avoid any slurs with the really deep tunes.

I know it's not "Live Music" as such, but it sounds bloody good!

Hi - shame you cn't make it.  Since original post I have tried out Lab 5's via a Boss ME20 pedal, using a  decent Freshman guitar with a Fishman pick up, and it sounded incredible - so I am confident it will sound brilliant on the night.

Regards

David

• 04-02-2008 8:12 AM In reply to

KingStreet:

OK - the classical recital will be Fridy evening - held in conjunction with Chethams School of Music.  Exact format tbc, but its now arranged.

Places now being reserved for Saturday, so anyone here who wants to come along should reserved a seat asap to avoid dissapoitment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-pwUi8Vv1c

some comments ....

* This actually gives me shivers... Saw him at Cambridge Folk Festival last year and he was amazing! Probably the best guitarist I have ever seen. Thanks for posting : )
    * Thank you so much for posting this! Im still waiting for Martin to TAB it and put it on sale so I can try and learn
    *I believe this won the award for best original song at the BBC folk awards 2008. An excellent song about human frailty. Thanks for posting it.
    *this is great! i saw mr simpson perform at the Lowry last summer - he performed solo - awe inspiring

Anyone visiting over this weekend will receive a special "BeoGift" !!!!

• 04-03-2008 4:27 PM In reply to

• jb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2008
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

I can't see it being a problem to take some shots. Is Andy T going to sell them for commercial use? If not, a polite request to let them know they're for his own use and to document the evening to other B&O users wouldn't go amiss unless they want to get arsey about it? I'm sure there'll be plenty of others taking shots on crappy mobiles? Just my opinion..

JB 

• 04-03-2008 4:30 PM In reply to

• jb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-17-2008
    • Surrey, UK
    • Posts 10
    • Bronze Member

KingStreet:
    Jandyt:

Happy Easter everybody!

Andy T.

Andy - there may be issues there.  I'm pleased to say that the performer involved has a "proper"manager, a record label, a website etc etc - he is a full time, professional troubadour,  and so it may not be legally acceptable to snap away without permision - what the footballers call "image rights" may well apply.  I'll find out.

A clue - he was interviewd last week on BBC Radio 2 -  also received a Best Album and Best Original Song award at a 2008 Award Ceremony filmed and shown on the beeb.Yes -  thumbs up

Ful details on Wed or Thur this week.

Sorry - meant to quote the above...

JB 

• 04-04-2008 7:55 AM In reply to

Its Ok actually - so no doubt Andy will be polishing his lens right now !!

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >