in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-17-2008 5:06 PM by Stan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-15-2008 6:57 PM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Calling all ML active experts

I want to hook my BL4000s to a non-B&O TV. 

Problem, TV only has a fixed audio out. 

Solution:  Run the TV audio output into the "pc input" of a ML active.  Control volume via Beo4.  Someday, run a ML cable to the location and get access to the rest of my B&O that's in another room (quite a distance away)... or possibly explore using BeoWireless if the cabling is too difficult.

Question #1:  Will this work?  Can an ML active operate without a ML connection?

Question #2:  Is the "pc input" cable the same as the standard B&O AUX input cable I have running into my BS9000?

Question #3:  Assuming I end up going the BeoWireless route (in the future), can I hook the ML active to the BeoWireless receiver via BW's ML connection to switch audio source between ML and TV?

As a quick test, I tried connecting the BL4000 to the ML active, and an airport express to the ML active via the PC port (using a standard RCA to DIN AUX input cable - the same one I use to connect the airport express to my BS9000), and it didn't work.  No sound from the speakers.  Lights stayed red.  From this I must assume that a) the ML active requires a ML connection to do anything meaningful, b) wrong cable - the PC cable is different than a AUX, c) there's an option setting required for the active to work like this or d) the ML active didn't survive the last 1.5 years of inactivity (or I just toasted it - although there were no fireworks when I turned on the power).

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 03-16-2008 2:04 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Re: Calling all ML active experts

The short answer is NO.  the PC input or the ML Active will not work without a connected B&O music system.  If you can connect it to a system it will work as planned.
  • 03-16-2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Is the cable connecting the non-B&O source to the active's PC input a standard AUX input (like one uses to connect auxillary components to a Beosound)?  

I have my active connected to my BS9000 via ML.  Airport express (for test purposes) connected to the PC port of the active (using RCA-DIN Aux input cable).  Speakers and IR also connected.  Made all connections with all equipment powered off (except AE - I wasn't broadcasting to AE).  I connected BS9000 and speakers to mains first, and started broadcasting to AE.  I then connected active to mains (got this sequence from the BeoLink PC manual).

At this point, I expect to hear AE from speakers, but get nothing.  Active works fine otherwise (i.e. controls BS9000 just like it is supposed to).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Stan

• 03-16-2008 10:09 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

I think this does work in certain situations. I had a turntable connected to the Beolink Active and a pair of Beolab 4500's. No ML was connected. I started the turntable then manually turned on the Beolink active, it needed to detect the signal. Worked fine from there. I didn't use the Beo4 though.

Turntable was connected via its own DIN to RCA connector then the PC input adapter...

<Above was a reply to a the post from expoman>

beoaus.

• 03-17-2008 5:18 AM In reply to

Have you remembered to press PC on your beo4?
  • 03-17-2008 10:16 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

The Stig - ver. 1.7:
    Have you remembered to press PC on your beo4?

I believe this is the missing piece.  I figured there was something I needed to do to activate, but everything I pressed just controlled the master unit.  I didn't think of trying PC (duh!).  Thanks again.

Stan

• 03-17-2008 5:06 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Success!  "PC" on the beo4 was the trick.

However, when I listen to CD/Radio through the link, then switch to PC, the sources are blended.  I must turn off the master source, then turn on PC.  Going from PC to master-source is fine.  I notice my Active has a sticker on it that says "SW 1.1".  Anybody know if there's a new version that may fix this?

I don't think I could have done this without this forum (never had even really noticed the PC port on the active much less knew what it was for). 

Thanks again,

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)