in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-27-2011 3:53 AM by tournedos. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-13-2008 11:13 AM

Connecting BeoLab 8000

I am planning to buy a pair of BeoLab 8000s shortly.  What other A/V components would I need to hook these up to my TV and DVD player (both are non-B&O products)?  Thanks
    Filed under:
  • 03-13-2008 10:39 PM In reply to

Re: Connecting BeoLab 8000

That is a bit tricky. The speakers are designed to switch on and off automatically when they receive a signal. In a B&O environment this comes actually through the powerlink connection when you turn on or off your equipment.

As you will be connecting the speakers through line connection, they will switch on and off as they receive an audio signal. Very often this is a problem when there are longer passages of no sound in a movie or music, the speaker switches off and there is a delay until it comes back on.

As long as you use them as front speakers, you might be fine as they typically receive constantly something. For rears this does not work since you have exactly these long breaks.

If you are bothered by the auto on/off your dealer can supply a little box that plugs into the powerlink connection and keeps the speaker on permanently.

Cheers

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-14-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Mani, as long as you are connecting them to a variable-output phono/RCA line-level connection from your TV you will have no real problems.  The BL-8000 has phono/RCA sockets right next to the normal PowerLink.  Have at!

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 03-14-2008 1:02 PM In reply to

I appreciate the answers.  I am planning to get just 2 8000s as the front speakers, so I guess it solves the power problem.  Do I need any kind of pre-amp/receiver to connect them to the TV, or can I just connect them directly to the TV using phono connections?  Thanks much.

-Mani 

• 03-14-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

Depends on your TV. If it has pre-amp out connections, phono connections are fine.
  • 03-14-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

Please pardon my ignorance.  The TV has the following I/O.  I don't see anything labeled pre-amp out.  Does this mean I need an external pre-amp?  Thanks. 

• Inputs/Outputs:

• Analog Audio Input(s): 5 (1 Side/4 Rear)
  • Audio Out (Variable/Fixed): 1 (Rear) Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 2 (Rear)
  • Composite Video Input(s): 3 (2 Rear/1 Side)
  • Digital Audio Output(s): 1 (Rear)
  • S-Video Input(s): 1 (Rear)
  • Headphone Output(s): 1 (Side)
  • PC Audio Input(s): 1 (Rear)
  • PC Video Input(s): 1 (Rear) D-Sub 154
  • HDMI™ Connection(s): 3 (1 Side/ 2 Rear) - 1 rear input has L/R audio inputs
  • 1080/24p Input Capable via HDMI™
  •  

• 03-14-2008 3:41 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Hi Mani,

You obviously have a very recent TV, so the pre-amp issue will be a dead one. Just plug the audio outs (one L and one R) into your BL 8000s (checking L as left when watching in front of the screen). You'll love the sound. As soon as the speaker detects a signal, it turns on. I understand you'd need several minutes of silence before the speaker turns off.

Cheers! 

• 03-20-2008 8:52 AM In reply to

Just to clarify, it's the variable audio output you're looking for. Most RCA outputs are line level, meaning the speakers would come on and stay on at one volume (usually a very loud one). You simply need RCA outputs with variable volume, which are only on some televisions, while many AV receivers have them. Enjoy! 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 03-20-2008 11:23 AM In reply to

:I didn't realize that line level means the volume stays at one level.  Of course, I am looking for variable output.  The audio out in my TV says: 

Audio Out (Variable/Fixed): 1 (Rear) Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 2 (Rear)

Does this mean I have variable out?  Thanks much. 

• 03-20-2008 4:10 PM In reply to

• Goldfrog88
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Gold Member

Mani, it does. There's probably opportunity to switch from fixed to variable output via the set-up menus in your TV.
  • 03-20-2008 7:56 PM In reply to

Excellent!  I appreciate the help.  Thanks.
  • 05-08-2011 6:14 PM In reply to

• waynem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2011
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

I've read this thread and it almost answers my question.  I am trying to do the same thing.  I have a Fujitsu TV with positive/negative speaker outputs for both left and right speakers.  How do I connect these to my two BeoLab 8000 Line In connections?

• 05-09-2011 9:57 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

If the jacks on the terminals are meant for regular stranded speaker wire, it will not work directly.

Does the Tv have pre-amplifier outputs? If so, those are what you should connect your BeoLabs to.

If that is not the case (no pre-outs), then you will need to source some attenuating cables that will bring the amplified level from the tv down to line level.

Evan

• 05-21-2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• waynem
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-08-2011
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply.  I studied it enough that I was confortable with conncting one of the speakers to the TV output.  It worked fine.  The volume control on the TV controlled the volume of the speakers very well.  My only problem now is that when the TV is turned off, there seems to be enough of a signal or feedback such that the speakers do not realize they should turn off after the 30 seconds to a minute that they wait.

I took a very cheap RCA cable and cut off one end to expose the bare positive and negative wires.  I'm willing to use better wires for the permanent solution.  Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise when the TV is off so the speakers turn off?

• 09-26-2011 5:28 PM In reply to

waynem:

Thanks for the reply.  I studied it enough that I was confortable with conncting one of the speakers to the TV output.  It worked fine.  The volume control on the TV controlled the volume of the speakers very well.  My only problem now is that when the TV is turned off, there seems to be enough of a signal or feedback such that the speakers do not realize they should turn off after the 30 seconds to a minute that they wait.

I took a very cheap RCA cable and cut off one end to expose the bare positive and negative wires.  I'm willing to use better wires for the permanent solution.  Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise when the TV is off so the speakers turn off?

The speakers don't turn off instantly in the absence of signal . They stay on for up to 3 minutes . The maximum I have observed and eventually turn off. Once a signal is re-applied they do turn on.

There are various solution to eliminate this completely but they are more involved/complex.

Lesly

• 09-26-2011 11:22 PM In reply to

misteUS:
    Any suggestions on how to eliminate the noise when the TV is off so the speakers turn off?

Use shielded cables where the negative (ground) wire is the shield, I had the same problem and the speakers never turned of, and gave a humming noice, when I turned of my amp. When the amp is on and there is no sound to the speakers, there is no noice, and they turn on and of like they are supposed to, so something  is happening when the amp (TV) is turned of.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-27-2011 3:53 AM In reply to

In many Kikinoko flat TVs, the audio amps have been implemented with some IC probably selected mainly for power efficiency and work in class D or S (technically a bit like ICEpower, only crappier Laughing ). Depending on the output circuitry, they may show a high impedance when powered off, and the cables connected to your Beolabs start to work like antennas, collecting all kind of noise and power line hum. That might be enough to make them think they are being fed with a signal, and stay on.

I would try adding a resistor to emulate a speaker load at the TV end of the cabling, so they aren't left dangling in thin air so to speak when the TV is powered off and essentially disconnected from them.

But I still wonder about the signal levels, if you are indeed connecting to outputs that are supposed to drive passive speakers. Theoretically it should be too much for the Beolabs.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)