in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2008 8:55 PM by jk1002. 50 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-11-2008 6:15 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Re: Ideas for a new product

Alex:

B&O has shown they can make outstandingly good commercial speakers such as the BeoLab 5s and BeoLab 9s for the money they cost, and they definitely had this in their interests a while back. I'd like to see them produce a professional grade speaker designed specifically for studio use (BeoLab 5s have the right sound, but they aren't suited to a lot of studios because of their shape). I think this would help them gain greater respect among the 'audiophile' industry.

As I've mentioned a few times in the past, I also think they should produce some kind of 'headphone link' unit, similar to a BeoLink Active, except there is a headphones connection on the 'link eye' which would then mute the speakers connected to the BeoSound/Vision if it was in the same room.

Just my 2 cents...

I understand the Lab 9's started life as a near/mid-field studio monitor project that failed to materialise and so became what they are - I'm sure Dave Moulton told of this.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-11-2008 6:18 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

I remember seeing a picture of the studio monitor somewhere. I couldn't find it again when I last tried. Looked like a 2-way design with two drivers either side of an Acoustic Lens in a more or less regular (although beautifully proportioned) conventional box.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-11-2008 6:28 PM In reply to

Trouble with voice control of an a/v system is that you'll usually be playing something, which will drown your voice and make control difficult. My in-car system requires me to push a button and then speak -- I'd say go for a really simplified remote, and preferably two-way, though I now have screens in just about every room and am doing OK interacting with those with the iPod Touch or Apple Remote.

Voice control isn't reliable enough, yet - though I've seen some nifty uses. Have a look at nuance.com

I used it for about a week in my car, and I've tried using it with my Mac's - but I think one is up against keep it simple stupid - voice isn't easier than manually controlling the interface.

• 03-11-2008 7:04 PM In reply to

I still think that there is a place for the virtual control panel - as seen in a slightly basic fashion here. You can design an interface thet can be visible only when required, and offer a 'magic' control surface.
  • 03-11-2008 7:17 PM In reply to

Yes, and it actually works!

• 03-12-2008 11:40 AM In reply to

I know we have had this discussion before, but I do wonder if B&O couldn't produce more in the way of interface items. I don't want them to produce computers but make the LCD screens more friendly to computer integration and maybe some type of keyboard/remote combined. The body of the computer can be third party but the actual interface would be B&O with the anodised aluminium and quality controls. As music and video becomes more HDD based, they need to be involved.
  • 03-12-2008 4:58 PM In reply to

Hi, guys, you all have great ideas!!

I also would like to purchase a separate screen with touch control for media files browsing.

How about an interactive remote, for also browsing through our music files etc.

And similar link room touch panel?

BeoSystem MM (multimedia), beyond BeoSystem 3, the audio speaker setup changing with your position.

How about a climate control touch pad, with sleek design?

A new BeoCom home communication product with Bluetooth or DECT, as a solution to communicate hands free at home with a headset.

And, an entry level surround system. An entry level centre speaker.

Regards, Robert

• 03-12-2008 5:18 PM In reply to

• wogga383
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-07-2007
    • Longridge, Lancs
    • Posts 108
    • Gold Member

-multimedia Robert-:

Hi, guys, you all have great ideas!!

I also would like to purchase a separate screen with touch control for media files browsing.

How about an interactive remote, for also browsing through our music files etc.

And similar link room touch panel?

BeoSystem MM (multimedia), beyond BeoSystem 3, the audio speaker setup changing with your position.

How about a climate control touch pad, with sleek design?

A new BeoCom home communication product with Bluetooth or DECT, as a solution to communicate hands free at home with a headset.

And, an entry level surround system. An entry level centre speaker.

Regards, Robert

Robert i had an idea about that, i was thinking of linking a small second, but touch screen monitor in my living room and using that to control Beoport. the touchscreen must be aesphectcly pleasing you  know what i mean.

• 03-12-2008 8:50 PM In reply to

Product idea #1- dock for iPod that appears as tape unit. There was a ridax thing but is that still available? This is a great idea because it would bring many older vintage products into the digital age easily and it would be a fairly simple product. Just do it.

Product idea #2- like #1, plugs into socket on main unit but works with iTunes rather than just iPod. Works wirelessly like airport express so your computer doesn't have to be next to your stereo.  Again, brings many older systems into the digital easily. B&O had a great thing with datalink- it's still viable. Again, just do it. All the technology exists. A couple of man-months with the right guys and you're done.

Product idea #3: Beolab 8000 mkIII- sound of Beolab 5 in 8000 package. Haven't convinced myself it's physically impossible. I don't want to have to have a Beolab 2. 

General thoughts- I think before sound went digital, B&O had especially beautiful systems. (I'm a fan of the Jensen era design, things that had an aspect ratio beyond a 2:1 rectangle.)There was a certain social aspect to LPs as has been mentioned, the sleeve liner notes in a font size you could read, the smell of the vinyl, etc. Radios had a scale that was visual- now we have just a number- it's like digital vs analog clocks- analog clocks have much more information than digits. Don't think like an engineer. Make a list of all the things lost by going digital, and then find a new way to bring it all back. There is still room for innovation, surprise and delight. 

Steve
  • 03-13-2008 5:43 AM In reply to

i'd like to see bno adopt the iphone as their new remote

use the amazing sdk 2.0 to write a stunning piece of software

popgear is grate™

• 03-13-2008 6:15 AM In reply to

You're quite right, Flappo. In a few months there will be literally thousands of amazing applications that will run on iPhones, iPod Touch, and the new (rumoured) tablet from Apple. And controlling B&O should be one of those app's - but nowadays we don't have to wait for corporations to do what's obvious.

I gather that the iRed guys are pleased they now have SDK 2.0 to work with.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/27062/apple-iphone-sdk 

• 03-13-2008 8:17 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

An interesting article or two on the near-future technology of displaying images, written in easy language - and perhaps a hint of what can be expected of the next gen iphones :-):

here and there .

Also, if any of you Apple-fans missed it, there were a few great articles on Steve Jobs his way of doing business the Apple way in recent Fortune.

• 03-13-2008 10:41 AM In reply to

• benkap
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Posts 162
    • Bronze Member

I want a B&O teleport that can take me back to the time when they made all the cool products!

Oh, wait - I already have a pair of BL5k'2 and white BS6500.

In that case I'll take a learning remote programmable by the user made with the BL7k in mind. Also, built-in wireless communication in every product coming out starting tomorrow would be quite welcome.

Smile

• 03-13-2008 11:17 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

i'd like to see bno adopt the iphone as their new remote

use the amazing sdk 2.0 to write a stunning piece of software

Flappo the Grate!!!

This is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long, long time. Of course ... Use the SDK ... We don't have to wait for B&O to do this for us. Anyone can make applications with this fantastic software development kit. Soundproof has already told us how to use the iPhone for getting iTunes music from the system ... but just think of this brainchild of Flappo for just one minute.

An iPhone with a small B&O-icon sitting next to iCal. When you press the B&O-icon the magic starts. A black serene B&O interface takes over the entire display. The iPhone begin to talk . WiFi-language direct to AppleTV or MacMini, and WiFi > IR for controlling your B&O-system. You could emulate Beo5 completely if that's what you want. The only difference will be that you'd have two-way communication, enabling you to see playlists and coverarts. If you are not happy with the look and feel of the Beo5 --- well do something that is even more B&O. And use the fantastic new gesture-recognition software that's built into the iPhone. Virtually turn the volume knob, wipe to the next song and shake the phone to mute the system.

This is the dream solution ... how can Beosound 5 beat this? Please let me know  ;-) ... and thanx Flappo for bringing the light.

/M 

PS Could the iPhone triangulation software tell you what room you're in ?? I'm sure the iPhone will know when you move from living room to bed room ;-) 

... and finally Bang & Olufsen ... stop trying to copy Apple ... it's too late ... many, many years to late ... interface them and you will make dreamware out of software.

• 03-15-2008 10:52 AM In reply to

• Bulgarien
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Denmark, Vest Sjaeland
    • Posts 201
    • Bronze Member

I dont ask for new products in the future, im just looking forward to see better and more elegant designs... Embarrassed
  • 03-15-2008 6:14 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Munin:

... and finally Bang & Olufsen ... stop trying to copy Apple ... it's too late ... many, many years to late ... interface them and you will make dreamware out of software.

Diiing... right answer.

I'm looking forward to the 'BeoMaster 5' as it sounds as though it's going to be a step aside from the competition, not a step ahead. To be a step ahead is very rare, and IMO more down to luck than a good product/concept.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-17-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

beovision6 32" would be nice

• 03-17-2008 4:43 PM In reply to

koning:

My thoughts exactly!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-17-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

beocool:
    koning:

My thoughts exactly!

I agree with this idea except I would add that it be a world product so that it can be available in North America and Asia also.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 03-17-2008 6:19 PM In reply to

How about a new BeoPort. This one would be plugged into AppleTV and thereby fully integrate that product into the Beo family. I know, Beomedia. I know, the AppleTV USB port is not meant for this! But if B&O leaves the "media server" part to Apple and concentrates on system integration, I think they'll get more return for their investment.
  • 03-17-2008 7:49 PM In reply to

• MacBo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

I would like a new BeoPort too. It should have a build in DAC and being able too receive wirelessly from a Mac/PC & a network HD./Bo.
  • 03-17-2008 8:49 PM In reply to

>>How about a new BeoPort. This one would be plugged into AppleTV and thereby fully integrate that product into the Beo family.<<

This is not required. It's done. We have several members who control their ATV through Beo 4 via the STB controller. What more does one need? That should even work out of linkrooms.

JK 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-18-2008 4:44 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 85
    • Founder

koning:

I miss a 32 inch as well + cinema module !

This pluss the new DVD player (DVD3) would be by my choice for a new setup !

Provided of course that they do not go compleatly over the top with the prices...

Thomas

Thomas

7-40 Mk3, Beo5/Beo4, Avant32DVD, BS3K, PentaIII, BL4K, BL Active w/BL2500, Avant28CTV,Beoport, AppleTV, 2xBC6K

• 03-18-2008 7:10 AM In reply to

Is there a change that in the future b&o will come with a beovision6 32"

• 03-18-2008 5:40 PM In reply to

I'd like to see more modularity. It's not exactly a product, but I think that complaints leveled at current video pricing do not take into account how much technology is under the hood. That being said, however, not all of that is needed in many (if not most) scenarios. Take a product like the BeoSystem 3. If I were Bang & Olufsen, I wouldn't keep trying to describe the picture engine inside as a number of features, I'd sell it as its own outboard box and market it as a fully formed device. If you care about picture quality, add it in! If you don't, spend your money on some better front speakers.

Same thing with the automation capabilities. I know that this would require a top to bottom redesign, but it would give people a way to build a system in a more realistic way with smaller budgets and bigger dreams!

I think that the inherent advantage is that Bang & Olufsen have a difficult time discussing such complex capabilities in a single product. With items in different boxes, they could discuss the merits and features of each box and allow the customer to pick the selection that made sense for them.

Also, build a BeoLink Wireless transmitter into every audio master. C'mon. Just do it already.

Cheers. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 2 of 3 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >