in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-18-2008 8:55 PM by jk1002. 50 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-10-2008 7:06 PM

Ideas for a new product

What would you most like to see introduced by B&O next? Let your imagination run riot!

I want an unfurling TV screen - something that could be very small and yet expand to a big screen. The furled shape could be futuristic and based on aluminium and the unfurling mechanism could be the magic touch - as said before, I see a flower opening in my mind.

What do you think?  

• 03-10-2008 7:12 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Re: Ideas for a new product

good idea peter ,what happens if b&o took the suggestions on board do we get a discount???Party!!!
  • 03-10-2008 7:14 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Peter :

I want an unfurling TV screen -  I see a flower opening in my mind.

What do you think?  

Have you been sniffing Nitrous Oxide (N2O) ?

Sorry Peter, couldn't resist.
     I see your vision too. Guess it's based on the unfurling of the huge solar panels on a satellite, or the aperture control in a camera.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-10-2008 7:23 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

How about voice activated remote control?
    Maybe a little more sophisticated than that found in a PriusWink

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-10-2008 8:05 PM In reply to

Bring Light Control back. LC1 and LC2. 

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 03-10-2008 9:40 PM In reply to

I agree with the suggestions about more modern and up to date lighting solutions. I would like to see the use of holographic imaging in their products. If not used to produce a TV picture, then used as a virtual Help Guide for example. So, you could be using your new Beo 6 (let's say) remote that comes with the onboard holographic helper when you need them! Rather like the Doctor in Star Trek Voyager but a much smaller version who projects himself from the product and talks to you. How about voice activated masterlinking and wireless communcation? That would be quite good. That'll do for the moment!

Simon.

"We can rebuild him. We have the technology." 7-40, 7-2, 9000, BS3, BC2, LC2, BC6000, Beo5
  • 03-10-2008 10:30 PM In reply to

Audio and video wireless, totaly wireless. So easy than that.

And a real Media-center (wireless too, of course)

(And the System Peter is talking about, but wireless too Laughing)

Rafa
  • 03-11-2008 3:38 AM In reply to

• djjkroon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Uddel, the Netherlands
    • Posts 113
    • Founder

B&O have to adapt Laser TV and dreams like growing TV's are possible. Also make a thin shielded digital ML cable, it wil be easier to handle.

Don't make everything wireless because we are not all able to use it. ie In our house all the wireless gadgets are banded. Even WLAN doesnt work right.

Muzies, Hans Kroon
  • 03-11-2008 5:14 AM In reply to

I'm tinking about a totally controlled system, I know it exist but it is similar to other... So imagine this,  the tv screen is the main control panel, each unit in the system is linked to the screen so the user can easily enable this. The screen is used to receive a feedback from the units too or to let to watch tv while listening the cd player ot the turntable or the radio unit.

when the user want to disable the menu this disappear but is ready to pop up in any time, how? Using something like a laser pointer to the tv screen, a little pointer.

Not enough? OK to the screen we can  control all the home B&O units, like lights, etc...

So using s dedicate interface the user can connect old B&O units too, I know actualy is possible but the new concept is to centralize all the commands to the screen, like a big display for everything instead of  a small one on the unit; if you don't want to power up the tv could be used a small touch screen monitor (portable?) .

A connection to internet too? A web free space for B&O users accessible by this system?

Eugenio Colazzo

• 03-11-2008 7:15 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Welcome to tomorowland :-)

But today, just simple things, not a breathtaking new product....

- intetgreat the digital gadgets of today's world far better than others (iPod in the whole house with easy access, sync with computer, NAS or BS5)

- open the products for home automation (documented interface like IP od RS232)

- Multiroom with Multi source (audio & video), easy access to musik library, recordred TV-shows, video on demand  

And do this in the B&O way, easy to use etc.!!!! (as most of the above already exist, but most of the stuff is not very slick and user friendly)

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 03-11-2008 8:45 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Lab 5 performance for Lab 4 prices - but here's the thing, if B&O ever knew how to do this would they put them into productionErmCool

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 03-11-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

i think a new ipod  , for £500 and with just enough space for about 4 songs

and make it hard to use , no display of course and make the buttons all nonsensical and weird

oh and don't forget to make the software awful and crash prone too

:) 

popgear is grate™

• 03-11-2008 9:26 AM In reply to

Introduce PLC (PowerLine Communication) interfaces to all products to replace MasterLink, so that all products can communicate data, sound and video through power sockets in homes. No more cables, no more unreliable wireless communications. You enjoy music, video wherever there is a power socket in any room of your home.
  • 03-11-2008 11:33 AM In reply to

Count me in for the Powerline communication, this is the future of BeoLink, since all BeoLink products need a power plug, that would mean a single cable at last! The technology is there, only the B&O remote control capability is missing on the present solutions.

Wireless transmissions are too unreliable for real hi-fi performance, and let's not even talk about video ..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 03-11-2008 3:34 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Simeon:
    Introduce PLC (PowerLine Communication) interfaces to all products to replace MasterLink, so that all products can communicate data, sound and video through power sockets in homes. No more cables, no more unreliable wireless communications. You enjoy music, video wherever there is a power socket in any room of your home.

Oooh, I like that!!
    Bring it on.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 03-11-2008 4:20 PM In reply to

My thoughts on this: 

• I would like to see 2 way communication making a comeback
    • Bring back the light control
    • The idea of Power Line Communication is really good

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 03-11-2008 4:33 PM In reply to

I remember when I was a student, I lived in a converted garage some 100 yards from the main house. We had an intercom that worked through the mains then!

If you can get past the inherent interference problems, it would seem like a good idea. I seem to remember the fridge cycling set it off a bit though!

Two way has to make a come back - I have it using my Mac and it works very well. I would prefer a B&O solution though.

What is wrong with Lutron? Their products work with B&O - I found the LC1 and LC2 to be a bit bulky and not that reliable. Happy to see B&O concentrate on music and video and let an associated company deal with the lights. Similarly, I would rather B&O integrated with PC and Mac than tried to build one of their own. Clearly I would prefer it to be a Mac as this seems to be closer to the ethos of B&O (and I have Macs! )  but I can see the problems. 

• 03-11-2008 4:46 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

"Invisible" speakers - full range "picture frame" speakers (I'll allow an ALT lens)Laughing

As lovely as Lab 5's are, they're not for everybody (i.e. most wives)Laughing

Imagine a wafer thin BL5000 with "new technology" proper base driver that was wall-independant (or at least calibratable a la BL5) that could accommodate user artwork (or purchased) that could be a picture frame or disappear when covered with a matching wall colour/cover. A lens would hardly be noticable.

Design specifically for wall mounting, location problems disappear.

Truely a speaker for every occasion (of course it could be repackaged into a cool, floor standing version for those allowed bachelor pad type decor).

• 03-11-2008 4:54 PM In reply to

• camshaft
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Pennsylvania, USA
    • Posts 575
    • Founder

I'd like to see true hifi systems that don't have the audiophiles laughing.  B&O's done it before a long time back and they could do it again if they actually wanted too.  And yes I know the lab5's sound incredible, but for that price...

Sorry to sound cynical,  but I like the 15+ year old B&O stuff and have been upset by the direction they've taken in the past decade.  It seems like now their main demographic is people with money who are lulled into believing that they're making the best sounding stuff around.

Austin 

-Austin (resident audiophile skeptic)
  • 03-11-2008 5:33 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Although they're way out of my price-league, I do believe the Lab 5's are spectacularly good value in the "audiophile" price bracket. If you feed them digitally then add up how much you'd need to spend for competitors preamp/amp/speaker combinations with equivalent sound quality. My guess is that the Lab 5's would be at least on par if not significantly less expensive in a lot of cases and, btw, did you read the "ten or twenty (what ever it was) best looking speakers in the world" thread - of the ten, nine were either completely bizarre or typical wooden coffins with various lumps - only the Lab 5 looked like "form and functional intimately embraced".

(Only just thought of that - must dash onto official site to enter the Lab 5 slogan competition)Laughing

• 03-11-2008 5:39 PM In reply to

Did you see the movie i'Robot?

The doctor tried to switch off the stereo with her voice...

What if B&O products could have a voice interface.

I can see the benefits with audio and info displayed on the BV7. Imagine to be in a lounge mood. Just say "radio jazz". Next on the BV7 screen from top to bottom you will find "radio" + "N.Radio" stations + A.MEM arranged by genre, this time JAZZ. Just say the number next to it and the moment is yours...

• 03-11-2008 5:52 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Coolskin:

The doctor tried to switch of the stereo of with her voice...

I can see the benefits with audio and info displayed on the BV7. Imagine to be in a lounge mood. Just say "radio jazz". Next on the BV7 screen from top to bottom you will find "radio" + "N.Radio" stations + A.MEM arranged by genre, this time JAZZ. Just say the number next to it and the moment is yours...

Don't some car audio systems already do this??

• 03-11-2008 6:01 PM In reply to

Puncher:
    Coolskin:

The doctor tried to switch of the stereo of with her voice...

Don't some car audio systems already do this??

...and some modern mobile phones accept voice commands. So why don't use this type of interface on home audio (video) systems?
  • 03-11-2008 6:03 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

B&O has shown they can make outstandingly good commercial speakers such as the BeoLab 5s and BeoLab 9s for the money they cost, and they definitely had this in their interests a while back. I'd like to see them produce a professional grade speaker designed specifically for studio use (BeoLab 5s have the right sound, but they aren't suited to a lot of studios because of their shape). I think this would help them gain greater respect among the 'audiophile' industry.

As I've mentioned a few times in the past, I also think they should produce some kind of 'headphone link' unit, similar to a BeoLink Active, except there is a headphones connection on the 'link eye' which would then mute the speakers connected to the BeoSound/Vision if it was in the same room.

Just my 2 cents...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-11-2008 6:06 PM In reply to

My Prius does. And it even does the correct thing every now and then, The cause of considerable hilarity! Works the audio system, the sat nav and the aircon. If you say 'I'm hungry', it shows you the nearest restaurant! On the whole, it is easier to use the buttons!
Page 1 of 3 (51 items) 1 2 3 Next >