in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-30-2008 3:33 PM by Bingo. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-10-2008 8:49 AM

Beosystem 3 Upgrade

Is there any talk of the BS3 being upgraded for HDMI 1.3 and ability to decode the High Definition sound formats ?

• 03-10-2008 9:41 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beosystem 3 Upgrade

No

It will need some reworking to do that and given B&O dont have a blue ray player and they tend not to support third party products very well, dont hold your breath on this being done anytime soon!

• 03-10-2008 2:07 PM In reply to

You can by lots of AV-recievers with HDMI 1.3 for few hunderd euro's but the Beosystem 3 that almost cost 7000 euros has not got it and won 't come very very soon?

How low can you sink as a premiumbrand if you do not offer that for your clients who want it. These are the things that does the name as a premiumbrand...... no good!!!

• 03-11-2008 12:39 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

By the way, this is true for almost all High-End receivers like Lexicon, Mark Levison etc. According to my knowledge none of them has HDMI 1.3...

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 03-11-2008 5:48 AM In reply to

Maybe, but all the topmodels from Denon, Onkyo etc, offer HDMI 1.3 for more then a year now.
  • 03-11-2008 7:05 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

to be fair, Denon, Onkyo & Yamaha ship a different volume of their units than the high-end niche players. So different R&D budget and also the need to show potential customers the latest and greatest in technology in a high competetive market.

But in real life, how many of the B&O customers care of HDMI 1.3 today? Or even know waht HDMI is...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see HDMI 1.3 in my BS3, however, today, I can not take any advantage of it. 

Karsten 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 03-11-2008 8:16 AM In reply to

true - maybe with hdmi 1.3 it will take a little while longer before everyone can/will use it, but there are other features, which there is a real need for i.e. 1080p/24fps - when you have both players and panels, which supports it.

Anyone know if 24fps is there yet or in the pipeline? 

• 03-17-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

1080p/24 fprs will be supported later this spring according to B&O in Struer. Sw 4.12 does NOT support 24 fprs.

/Martin

Beolab 5 with sw 3.0,  BV7-55 3D without Bluray(MK II), Beolab 7-4, Beolab 4000 MKII, Beolab 3500, Beovox CX100, Beosound 9000 mkIII, Cabinett 2054, Beo4 MKII, Oppo BDP-93 Blurayplayer (B&O-version)

• 03-17-2008 2:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Bingo:

You can by lots of AV-recievers with HDMI 1.3 for few hunderd euro's but the Beosystem 3 that almost cost 7000 euros has not got it and won 't come very very soon?

How low can you sink as a premiumbrand if you do not offer that for your clients who want it. These are the things that does the name as a premiumbrand...... no good!!!

Most people aren't too bothered about HDMI 1.3 compatibility. In fact I would be very surprised if anybody had ever walked into a B&O store and asked about HDMI 1.3 compatibility on the BeoSystem 3.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 03-18-2008 11:38 PM In reply to

Alex:

Most people aren't too bothered about HDMI 1.3 compatibility. In fact I would be very surprised if anybody had ever walked into a B&O store and asked about HDMI 1.3 compatibility on the BeoSystem 3.

Well, I did and got a blank stare. The salesman had no idea what I was talking about. I subsequently wrote Struer and asked if there were any plans to provide support for HDMI 1.3 in BS3 and BV7. The prompt answer was that they had no present plans to do so. However, that having been asked and answered, I would have to concede that there would really be no reason for B&O to provide 1.3 support unless they also planned to provide capability to decode the various HD audio codecs transmitted to the units undecoded via digital bitstream.

As matters stand now, B&O assumes the various advanced audio codecs are to be decoded by the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player into LPCM and transmitted via HDMI 1.1 to the B&O systems. Since LPCM is in fact a lossless format, it should provide results equivalent to transmission via bitstream and subsequent decoding in the B&O equipment. Given that the various Blu-Ray player manufacturers have not done a great job dealing with the  advanced audio codecs (Toshiba did a much better job in its HD-DVD players), it was probably wise for B&O to stay out of the fray, at least until the dust settles. B&O has always taken a conservative approach to adopting new technologies, and at least in this case I would have to agree with their decision to avoid dealing with the advanced audio codecs and put the onus on the player manufacturers to do so.

• 03-30-2008 10:55 AM In reply to

You don`t need HDMI 1,3 for the new HD-sound formats...... Buy a Blu-Ray player that can decode the HD sound formats for you and just connect that with your BeoSystem 3, all you need i HDMI 1,1. The BeoSystem 3 can easerly recive a PCM signal.
  • 03-30-2008 3:33 PM In reply to

Ofcourse there is an alternative way to get it to your system, but is not the great advantage of HDMI that you only have to use one cable per source? So it is a silly solution you come with to hide the slowlyness of B&O to catch up with time.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)