in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-09-2008 9:17 AM by sajpratty. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2008 8:38 AM

• rfc1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-06-2008
    • Posts 166
    • Gold Member

record cleaner.

Can anyone reccomend a record groove cleaner/static remover and stylus cleaner/static remover  ,

thanks Sandy

• 03-09-2008 9:04 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Re: record cleaner.

This is a good one, I own one myself.

Record Cleaner

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 03-09-2008 9:17 AM In reply to

Re: record cleaner.

Depends how dirty you want to get Smile I've used and discarded loads of miracle junk over the years, this is where I ended up...

General light dust removal off the disk - I use a carbon fibre brush. Dead common, get one from Maplins or eBay. I found mine shed some fibres at first, but now that it's broken in it works faultlessly. A Watts dustbug comes a close second, but if your Beogram has a low profile lid then you'll have to custom make a pivot for it.

General light removal of fluff off the stylus - I use the little brush that came with my Soundsmith cartridge. Looks like its carbon fibre too. Watts made a stylus cleaner, works great but can leave a fibre or two caught on the cantilever stem. (Google Cecil Watts and you run down a pdf of a pamphlet he wrote on the care and cleaning of records and styli.) Avoid those miniature toothbrush things that are included with record cleaning pads - too harsh.

Embedded fine dust removal, for those disks that haven't been played for 20 years - I use a Knosti washer, using distilled water with a few drops of photographic wetting agent. Wash again with pure distilled water to rinse, and leave to drip dry.

Encrusted muck removal off stylus, if you have played a record that has been anti static "treated" - same stylus brush again, but dampened (NOT wetted!) with distilled water. And patience.

Horror story serious muck removal off the disk, for those Oxfam bargains - the Knosti again, using the cleaning fluid that came with it. Contrary to the blurb it does leave a deposit (according to my stylus) so follow up with a distilled water rinsing.

Worse than that? Be careful, a frisbeed LP can be dangerous if it hits someone! Laughing

Cheers, Steve 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)